Westcoast bridge - a coloured rainbow

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're going to decide what's good art by "democratic committee"? That kills any and all subversive art that challenges the status quo and has throughout history been the voice of marginalized people.

So Joe Tagger gets to decide? You would prefer that? These are public buildings, so yes our elected representatives get to decide and if their decision is to put it to the voters, so be it. Joe Tagger wasn't elected to represent anyone.

How is colouring a bridge going to do anything for the homo community? I'm it meant to be a conversation starter?

It's not really about the Gay community, its about heterosexuals trying to pat themselves on the back for doing things they should be doing anyway.

So Joe Tagger gets to decide? You would prefer that? These are public buildings, so yes our elected representatives get to decide and if their decision is to put it to the voters, so be it. Joe Tagger wasn't elected to represent anyone.

Why do artists have to represent anyone for what they do to be considered art?

That would be a great way to take the nicest bridge in the city and make it ugly.

Edit: But a temporary flag is no big deal. The OP sure messed up this topic...

To be fair to me. I quickly posted a correction as soon as I found out. No need to call out a messed up op when it was addressed as quickly as I found out.

Everyone matters but that's not what I said. It's not about placating a minority, it's about making Straights feel good.

No that's not what it is about. You know very well Wilbur where this bridge is located. It is in the hub of the west end of Vancouver which has a very high concentration of the LGBT community. And the flag is being proposed to be draped during pride week with all the festivities going on. As I mentioned earlier the parade has over 650,000 individuals viewing the parade. Surely that tells you a lot about the community support for the lgbt, regardless of the colours. It's simply mind boggling that people would have a problem with this unless they knew of the city of Vancouver. Which you do btw and quite frankly, I'm surprised as to your lack of empathy for their cause.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

No that's not what it is about. You know very well Wilbur where this bridge is located. It is in the hub of the west end of Vancouver which has a very high concentration of the LGBT community. And the flag is being proposed to be draped during pride week with all the festivities going on. As I mentioned earlier the parade has over 650,000 individuals viewing the parade. Surely that tells you a lot about the community support for the lgbt, regardless of the colours. It's simply mind boggling that people would have a problem with this unless they knew of the city of Vancouver. Which you do btw and quite frankly, I'm surprised as to your lack of empathy for their cause.

I don't have a problem with a flag but I do with painting. Don't give me crap about empathy. Just because I would object to it being painted bright pink doesn't mean I am not in favour of breast cancer research.

Empathy, Cause - you talk about them as if they're lepers.

The Whitehouse went rainbow last night and downtown Seattle is closing down streets to paint rainbow crosswalks.

Come on Vancouver, you're being left behind.

Better paint rainbows somewhere!

There does seem to be a silly competition for the most gay friendly city in the world,

650,000 is a lot of people who support and accept the gay lifestyle, however acceptance and equality are not the same. Equality will only come when they don't feel the need to parade themselves through the streets and when people stop subliminally treating them as victims - as you do.

650,000 is a lot of people who support and accept the gay lifestyle, however acceptance and equality are not the same. Equality will only come when they don't feel the need to parade themselves through the streets and when people stop subliminally treating them as victims - as you do.

One could say equality will come when people stop caring they are parading though the streets. As long as people care to speak against it, it will continue to be worth doing.

Not too many speak against the actual issue of homosexuality itself, I do see people speak out against the parades and constant ass kissing. The parade turns more people off than the actual thought of homosexuality. I suspect that once the gay community wakes up they'll realize that the parades (in their current form) are an anchor.

I honestly don't think the pride parade will ever go away. We might as well just recognize it for what it is. It's a day of recognition and remembrance for people who have been prosecuted by others for a very very long time. It's not going anywhere just like any other day set aside for people who have been prosecuted in any way.
It is what it is.

I honestly don't think the pride parade will ever go away. We might as well just recognize it for what it is. It's a day of recognition and remembrance for people who have been prosecuted by others for a very very long time. It's not going anywhere just like any other day set aside for people who have been prosecuted in any way.

It is what it is.

The pride parade has always been very antagonistic, thats what most people don't like - not the gays or the lifestyle itself. I don't know anybody who actually cares what they do, who they sleep with or even who they marry. If they toned down the parade somewhat and took a more higher ground approach, they'd gain equality.

The pride parade has always been very antagonistic, thats what most people don't like - not the gays or the lifestyle itself. I don't know anybody who actually cares what they do, who they sleep with or even who they marry. If they toned down the parade somewhat and took a more higher ground approach, they'd gain equality.

That will never happen. Maybe if black people stop having black history month the white people in the US will love them and treat them as equals.

See how dumb that sounds?

They don't hate them, they just hate black history month.

Edited by PrimeNumber

That will never happen. Maybe if black people stop having black history month the white people in the US will love them and treat them as equals.

See how dumb that sounds?

They don't hate them, they just hate black history month.

Not the same at all. You'll try and make it the same, but it's really not.

For starters, Black history month (along with aboriginal day/week) is filled with eduction and history - something that we can all get behind and learn from, while Pride (the way it currently exists) is purely self-indulgent and antagonistic.