Westcoast bridge - a coloured rainbow

Not the same at all. You'll try and make it the same, but it's really not.

For starters, Black history month (along with aboriginal day/week) is filled with eduction and history - something that we can all get behind and learn from, while Pride (the way it currently exists) is purely self-indulgent and antagonistic.

If you've every been around a Pride Day you will know that there is a very long history of homosexual persecution. Many white supremists say the same about black history month. Take that for what you think it's worth.

You're the one that gives it meaning by making it such a big deal. The more you stop caring about it, the less power it has in your life. It's a simple concept, try it out.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've every been around a Pride Day you will know that there is a very long history of homosexual persecution. Many white supremists say the same about black history month. Take that for what you think it's worth.

You're the one that gives it meaning by making it such a big deal. The more you stop caring about it, the less power it has in your life. It's a simple concept, try it out.

I get your logic, but it simply goes against nature. If someone keeps insisting they're equal, then they're not really equal - are they? You can give a person freedom and rights, but they have to earn their equality - that's just the way it is. It's not my rules, i'm just a messenger.

I get your logic, but it simply goes against nature. If someone keeps insisting they're equal, then they're not really equal - are they?

It means that they're not treated equally, but whether or not they should be is a different question.

You can give a person freedom and rights, but they have to earn their equality - that's just the way it is. It's not my rules, i'm just a messenger.

'Earn' as in convince the population, judges, politicians perhaps. But LGBT people have done that.

If they've done that, they wouldn't be rallying for their cause. Equality, like respect is not about laws, it's about thought. If they don't realistically feel they're equal, that never will be. People don't rally when they feel equality.

Look at WCR, she's still calling them victims. That means she doesn't believe them to be equal.

If they've done that, they wouldn't be rallying for their cause. Equality, like respect is not about laws, it's about thought. If they don't realistically feel they're equal, that never will be. People don't rally when they feel equality.

They feel that they're equal but that they're not treated equally.

Look at WCR, she's still calling them victims. That means she doesn't believe them to be equal.

You're setting up a Catch 22, basically. It says that if they're not treated equally now then they never will be. That's a static social model that doesn't reflect changing attitudes and beliefs, which isn't realistic.

So, you're saying that gays are both victims and yet equal at the same time- interesting!

Yes, depending on your perspective this is too.

If they're victims, who are they looking to for acceptance?

The courts, obviously.

You're starting to ask obvious questions, so I recommend you skip ahead to whatever point you're going to make at the end.

As long as countries around the world persecute the LGBT community, we should all continue to fight for their equal rights. Part of the purpose of pride celebrations is to show the world that there are certain countries that support this.

A reason for the rainbow colours:

The rainbow flag was a response to the homophobic pink triangle

"Like Nazis who used the Star of David to target Jewish people, anti-gay persecutors used the pink triangle to mark those who were openly or presumed gay."

"They had a whole code of emblems that they used to oppress people, and we needed something to answer that," says Baker, adding that the rainbow was perfect because of its associations with diversity, beauty and nature. "

You can read more here on other reasons for the colours.

The rainbow flag was a response to the homophobic pink triangle

No it wasn't....the Rainbow Flag has a very pedestrian history and grew from typical artist roots (1970's California, USA). The rainbow colors/flag actually has displaced previous LGBT symbols and colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag_%28LGBT_movement%29#History

Edited by bush_cheney2004

No it wasn't....the Rainbow Flag has a very pedestrian history and grew from typical artist roots (1970's California, USA). The rainbow colors/flag actually has displaced previous LGBT symbols and colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag_%28LGBT_movement%29#History

Yes, that's true. There are many reasons for the colours.

So, you're saying that gays are both victims and yet equal at the same time- interesting!

If they're victims, who are they looking to for acceptance?

It isn't just the Canadian LGBT community. As a marcher in the Turkish pride parade said today (as they were pepper sprayed and shot at with water cannons by the police) so eloquently

"We are at the stage of "please don't kill us". Never mind equal rights.

Not too many speak against the actual issue of homosexuality itself, I do see people speak out against the parades and constant ass kissing. The parade turns more people off than the actual thought of homosexuality. I suspect that once the gay community wakes up they'll realize that the parades (in their current form) are an anchor.

I guess you missed the part where over 650,000 people watch the parade including thousands of families. I have watched the parade a few times and I observed nothing but a lot of fun and cheers. Maybe you should attend it?

The courts, obviously.

You're starting to ask obvious questions, so I recommend you skip ahead to whatever point you're going to make at the end.

Believe me. There isn't a point. The point is to oppose homosexuality with no logic behind it.

You obviously didn't read the interview with the originator of the flag. Perhaps because he was interviewed by Cbc radio? You shouldn't depend too much on Wikipedia for your facts.

I really shouldn't depend on CBC Radio either. Total revisionist nonsense. Made in the USA....you're welcome.

Because I was around when the "rainbow" first hit U.S. pop culture on the left coast. See, I actually live in the USA...you don't.

Not a good answer when we have the originator saying otherwise. Straight from the horses mouth not a bystander. Edited by WestCoastRunner

The courts, obviously.

The courts? How so, we have same sex marriage, don't we? Same sex marriage has been voted on and voted down on almost every occasion - maybe every occasion. It's the courts that bend over backward for the gays. Edited by Hal 9000

The courts? How so, we have same sex marriage, don't we? Same sex marriage has been voted on and voted down on almost every occasion - maybe every occasion. It's the courts that bend over backward for the gays.

The courts have decided on the side of human rights. Do you have a problem with that? Given that they have bent over backwards in your mind.