2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That conveniently ignores the years that they werent bad, including the Conf finals. But yea....apart from those years there have been some lousy teams.

I didn't ignore anything, the Leafs have in fact not made it to a Stanley Cup final since 1967, much less one a final.. That is an astonishing record in any pro sport.

Just a streak of bad luck by your reckoning. Just like Detroit has been on a streak of good luck for so long.

I didn't ignore anything, the Leafs have in fact not made it to a Stanley Cup final since 1967, much less one a final.. That is an astonishing record in any pro sport.

As for records it isnt very astonishing at all. Lots of sports have teams far worse for non championships or worse . Look at baseball and all the teams with much much longer streaks of sucking.

The NFL ? Many far worse

The NBA?

MLB?

But yea, the Leafs own this.

Just a streak of bad luck by your reckoning. Just like Detroit has been on a streak of good luck for so long.

Not at all. No one has written that luck has played a role in the Leafs long playoff drought, nor has luck played the part to why they never won a cup since 67.

As for records it isnt very astonishing at all. Lots of sports have teams far worse for non championships or worse . Look at baseball and all the teams with much much longer streaks of sucking.

The NFL ? Many far worse

The NBA?

MLB?

But yea, the Leafs own this.

Not at all. No one has written that luck has played a role in the Leafs long playoff drought, nor has luck played the part to why they never won a cup since 67.

So luck only happens to teams that win?

So luck only happens to teams that win?

Luck happens to every team and every sport.

It doesnt decide the outcomes in every single instance.

To be good you have to have luck, to be lucky you have to be good.

But luck ( or whatever one wants to call fortuitous actions) can sure help.

Think Patrik Stefan.

They haven't made a final since the NHL was a 6 team league and yet they still sell out nearly every game....Toronto needs a second franchise ASAP!

Edited by Mighty AC

Geez...kind of dead thread, no one is overly excited about the playoffs and how things are shaping up going into the last 8-10 games in a really tight race?

Go Jets,Flames....sorry Sens, but you are kind of toast right now, should have beaten the Points R Us Leafs after being up 3-1 in the third.

The west is a blast to watch, standings change daily

As an Oilers fan, I stopped caring much about playoffs sometime around Remembrance Day. :(

I'll probably watch some of the first round, maybe adopt a team in each conference. As a former Ottawanian (Ottawoid? Ottawawan? I have no idea...) I still have a soft spot for the Senators, but it looks like they're just about finished.

At this point, my greatest hope for the playoffs is that Devan Dubnyk wins the Conn Smyth Trophy and spends all summer driving up and down the street in front of Craig MacTavish's house in a convertible with the trophy in the passenger seat and "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" blasting out of the stereo.

-k

At this point, my greatest hope for the playoffs is that Devan Dubnyk wins the Conn Smyth Trophy and spends all summer driving up and down the street in front of Craig MacTavish's house in a convertible with the trophy in the passenger seat and "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" blasting out of the stereo.

That is worth cheering for!!

WTH was Byfuglien doing last night?

He will be suspended and that certainly hurts any chances going forward for the Jets, hopefully they manage.

But damn that was monumentaly dumb and it seems he loved his press and thought himself invincible..

Youre a former Ottawan kimmy, although Ive heard Ottawanites is popular.

And yes, I dont think the Sens will advance but being plucky they still have a chance. Last night was a good one for them.

The Jets have a grind ahead with games against four teams still scrapping for playoff positions: Canucks, Wild, Blues and and Flames. Their only break is the Avalanche, and 3 out of 5 on the road.

It won't be easy.

The Kings are right on their tails with a game in hand, and an easier schedule. They play the Oilers twice, the Avalanche and Sharks. Their only games against playoff teams are against the Canucks and Flames, and they have three home games out of six.

Good news that he gets more than a slap on the wrist. That goon may have just ruined any Jet playoff hopes, which is too bad for some of the greatest fans in Canada. Canuck fans suck by comparison.

It turns out the Canucks are pretty good at the shootout this year. I've never cared for it but I think it is better to finish the game with a shoot out rather than 2, 3 or 4 extra periods to wear them out early.

Blessing in disguise for the Jets. We won 5 of 6 without him. He comes back we win 1 in 3. Jets have lots of defencemen in the ranks waiting for a chance. I just find it funny that buff gets made an example of when Toffoli of the Kings gets away scot free because they NHL can't have their precious LA kings miss the playoffs. I personally think Buff deserves 5 games but the inconsistancy and favouritism of this league under Gary "the lockout" Bettman is atrocious.

Edited by PrimeNumber

Most of the time he has been Bad Buff and his foolish mistakes cost them dearly recently. They play a much tighter defensive system without him and that's the only way they will ever make the playoffs. Definitely a blessing. I would be very surprised if Chevy doesn’t trade him for another overpayment like the Kane deal in the offseason.

Most of the time he has been Bad Buff and his foolish mistakes cost them dearly recently. They play a much tighter defensive system without him and that's the only way they will ever make the playoffs. Definitely a blessing. I would be very surprised if Chevy doesnt trade him for another overpayment like the Kane deal in the offseason.

With the way Myers has been playing, minus last game, and the fact that without Buff we seem to take less penalties. I almost wouldn't mind if we could trade Buff for a servicable 3rd line Right Dman and maybe some prospects. Im sure we could easily get that from an Eastern Conference team. I don't want him in the west, so we won't play against him very much.

Edited by PrimeNumber

I just find it funny that buff gets made an example of

He was not made an example. What he did was a vicious, unprovoked and very dangerous assault to the head on an unprotected player from behind. It would normally be worth 8 to 10 games suspension.

The only reason he got just four games is that he is a veteran with no suspension history.

Blessing in disguise for the Jets. We won 5 of 6 without him. He comes back we win 1 in 3. Jets have lots of defencemen in the ranks waiting for a chance. I just find it funny that buff gets made an example of when Toffoli of the Kings gets away scot free because they NHL can't have their precious LA kings miss the playoffs. I personally think Buff deserves 5 games but the inconsistancy and favouritism of this league under Gary "the lockout" Bettman is atrocious.

We can certainly agree on the NHL and Bettman's agendas, I'd really like to see him gone some day.

He was not made an example. What he did was a vicious, unprovoked and very dangerous assault to the head on an unprotected player from behind. It would normally be worth 8 to 10 games suspension.

The only reason he got just four games is that he is a veteran with no suspension history.

Staal on NY did almost the exact same thing to Crosby awhile back and never even got a fine. No one is saying what he did wasn't vicious. But to say the DoPS didn't suspend him and not any of NYR or LA or Tampas players because of their favouritism is ridiculous. It's no secret that the NHL favours American teams. Tofoli got of scot free a few weeks ago because "LA is in the playoff hunt". Don't get me wrong I'm not saying bufd should get nothing, I'm saying the NHL has no credibility when handing out suspensions. I guarantee you if Staal did the exact same thing to slater, the media wouldn't be talking about it and it would have been a 1-2 game suspension if that. The fact thay Buff plays the way he does and does it on a canadian team puts a target on his back. He deserves more than 4 games for what he did but there is no way it gets that kind of attention south of the border and the DoPS and medias has proven that with various attacks on players before this who walked away. The NHL really needs to put in righting exact rules on attacks and what the consqeuences of those attacks are. So we don't have certain players being favoured over others. Edited by PrimeNumber