2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Staal on NY did almost the exact same thing to Crosby awhile back and never even got a fine. No one is saying what he did wasn't vicious. But to say the DoPS didn't suspend him and not any of NYR or LA or Tampas players because of their favouritism is ridiculous. It's no secret that the NHL favours American teams. Tofoli got of scot free a few weeks ago because "LA is in the playoff hunt". Don't get me wrong I'm not saying bufd should get nothing, I'm saying the NHL has no credibility when handing out suspensions. I guarantee you if Staal did the exact same thing to slater, the media wouldn't be talking about it and it would have been a 1-2 game suspension if that. The fact thay Buff plays the way he does and does it on a canadian team puts a target on his back. He deserves more than 4 games for what he did but there is no way it gets that kind of attention south of the border and the DoPS and medias has proven that with various attacks on players before this who walked away. The NHL really needs to put in righting exact rules on attacks and what the consqeuences of those attacks are. So we don't have certain players being favoured over others.

blah blah blah somebody else didn't get blah blah blah.

Relativity is not a defence.

He got what he deserved for what he did, but only barely since many commentators said he should be gone for the season including playoffs.. It was not an accident but a deliberate intent to injure

Since you agree that 4 games was light, you'll have to open another thread on what others should have gotten for their misdeeds. He was picked on so much, he did not even get a penalty for what he did. And the NHL is so out to get him they told him in advance that he'd get <5 games.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blah blah blah somebody else didn't get blah blah blah.

Relativity is not a defence.

He got what he deserved for what he did, but only barely since many commentators said he should be gone for the season including playoffs.. It was not an accident but a deliberate intent to injure

Since you agree that 4 games was light, you'll have to open another thread on what others should have gotten for their misdeeds. He was picked on so much, he did not even get a penalty for what he did. And the NHL is so out to get him they told him in advance that he'd get <5 games.

Blah blah blah yeah we know he deserved it. I'm not defending what he did, II'm calling out the NHL for what they haven't done. No need to start another thread this isnt the Dustin Byfuglien suspension thread. This is a general NHL playoffs thread and theirs no way to defend the fact that American teams, especially ones in playoff races, get special treatment when it comes to discipline. Its a fact players in American markets have done similar things without consequence. It's only once its a Canadian team does the media pick it up and the NHL actually does something. The entire DoPS is a joke, under Bettman whom is a walking joke of a comissioner.

You don't see reports of disciplinary action on US media because they don't give a s*** about hockey, not because anybody is picking on Winnipeg or Canadian teams. On the other hand, the Winnipeg/Toronto media has nothing at all else to talk about.

If you want to compare Bufygliens actions, they are most closely compared to Bertuzzi/Moore or McSorley/Brashear. It was an ugly attempt to maim another player. The only difference was that Miller was not seriously hurt, which was only good fortune.

You can hate Bettman if you like, but Winnpeg would not have a team at all without his stamp of approval and the league has prospered mightily in the last decade.

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

Byuflugien got off lightly... that was vicious... and stupid. No excuses... and you will need to point to examples of U.S. teams getting treated more lightly if you want to make a case for that...

Show us where someone did what Buff did on an American team and didn't get punished for it. You mentiones Staal on Crosby... wasn't that in the playoffs like a year ago? That's poor evidence.

You two seem to think I'm trying to stick up for him. Not the case. You're making it seem like someone has to do exactly what Buff did to get a suspension. Literally a few weeks ago Tofoli smashed a players head into the boards, that player was injured and also could have had their neck broken. It was pointed out by the media that because LA was in the playoff race, he didn't get a suspension. The biggest piece of evidence is Charas hit on Pacioretty which there was absolutely no consequences for and he actually broke the guys neck. You want evidence its all around you.

You don't see reports of disciplinary action on US media because they don't give a s*** about hockey, not because anybody is picking on Winnipeg or Canadian teams. On the other hand, the Winnipeg/Toronto media has nothing at all else to talk about. If you want to compare Bufygliens actions, they are most closely compared to Bertuzzi/Moore or McSorley/Brashear. It was an ugly attempt to maim another player. The only difference was that Miller was not seriously hurt, which was only good fortune.You can hate Bettman if you like, but Winnpeg would not have a team at all without his stamp of approval and the league has prospered mightily in the last decade.

Hahaha that's laughable. Bettman is one of the reasons Winnipeg lost a team and also quashed numerous deals to bring one back in order to keep hockey in the desert. The league prospers but the argument could easily be made that it could prosper more if it recognized that Canadian markets are always going to do better financially than teams in Arizona and Sunrise Florida. Have a look at the bottom earning teams in the league, most of them are relocation and expansion teams into American markets, all spearheaded by Bettman. All of them failing to profit.

We can certainly agree on the NHL and Bettman's agendas, I'd really like to see him gone some day.

SO you would ignore the fact that Bettman has been amazing for the game as reson to boot him?

You may not like him, I dont much myself (prickly bothers me) but I can see that he has been amazing in almost every way.

Revenue up?

Teams healthier?

Arizona almost healed?

TV ratings up?

Salaries up?

Yes X's 5

Literally a few weeks ago Tofoli smashed a players head into the boards, that player was injured and also could have had their neck broken.

Tofoli dint smash a players head into anything. Revisionist whining I am afraid. The poor picked on CDN team player.

Maybe the NHL arranged the final score for the last two Sens Leafs games too?

Cuz...ya know...it means it gets easier for Boston Detroit Pitt and the poor picked on Sens should complain.

The biggest piece of evidence is Charas hit on Pacioretty which there was absolutely no consequences for and he actually broke the guys neck. You want evidence its all around you.

There was no way that anyone could determine Charas hit to be anything but misfortune for where it occurred....not to mention the league realized they had a problem on their hands as respects the boards in that locale.

It was a hockey play. Same as Tofoli's hit was a hockey play.

Wanna know what WASN'T a hockey play ?

Buff's hit on Miller.

That was plain dumb. Buff has a bit of a rep for dumb things whenever he isnt smashing teams and willing his own to win some games.

Bettman is one of the reasons Winnipeg lost a team

You're delusional . Winnipeg lost their team because the owners simply could not afford to continue to lose their shirts in the pre-cap era.

You two seem to think I'm trying to stick up for him. Not the case.

You're the one who claimed the NHL was making an example of him with a heavy suspension when he in fact deserved much more than he got. So, you are doubly wrong. Maybe the NHL is favoring Canadian teams.

Revenue up?

Teams healthier?

Arizona almost healed?

TV ratings up?

Salaries up?

Yes X's 5

Bingo. Pro hockey is a business and by every measure Bettman has been a resounding success.

Except for those who think he is picking on their team.

Spare it, if your someone whose been playing hockey your whole life, you know exactly where the turn buckle is. I mean come on he lined him right up as he crossed in.

Its always a lost cause to post a history on the 'net, but yes, played my entire life finishing with Jr in BC and OUAA .

No one could prove Chara put him in there, although plenty suspect he knew as I kind of do. But no way to prove the intent.

Buffs intent was to knowingly cross check a downed player in the back of the net. He is lucky 4 games is all, and you want to know what is ironic?

You thinking the league sucks up to the Yankee teams , when this case and this penalty likely (cant prove it never will) was reduced in severity to not totally diminish the Jets chances.

Wanna bet if it had been Bozak on Leafs who had done it the penalty would be more? Why? Who effing cares about the Leafs right now (apart from Sens Fans) and a 6 gam,e or more suspension would be welcome relief from the hell that is Bozak and playing for the leafs.

You're delusional . Winnipeg lost their team because the owners simply could not afford to continue to lose their shirts in the pre-cap era.

You're the one who claimed the NHL was making an example of him with a heavy suspension when he in fact deserved much more than he got. So, you are doubly wrong. Maybe the NHL is favoring Canadian teams.

Bingo. Pro hockey is a business and by every measure Bettman has been a resounding success.

Except for those who think he is picking on their team.

Yes Winnipeg lost a team because they had financial troubles. Yet the yotes have been having financial troubles for the better part of a decade and Bettman has bent over backwards to keep that team in Arizona including cancelling sales to move the team out of Arizona and going so far as to buy the team until a suitable owner could be found, something he has never done for any Canadian team.

If the NHL was favouring Canadian teams, bettman would have cancelled any sales of and saved both Canadian teams he lost.

You consider losing three teams, including a second Atlanta expansion, having 6 expansion teams in the red, with minimal chance of them getting out and residing over 2 and a half lockouts a success? Well please hire me for your business then, I'll make you proud.

Are we still talking about Byfuglien? I'm talking about everyone else that gets let off, yes Byfuglien should have gotten more games. I've been saying thay the whole time. I'm just wondering why certain teams get suspensions and others don't. I guarantee if Tofoli does the exact same thing to slater, we aren't having this discussion.

I Still think that they should have uniform punishments for infractions. You can easily add escalators for grievous infractions and repeat offenders as well as injuries. Players ,coaches, fans and even commentators would complain less. Once a player reaches a level where he is considered to be dangerous start doubling his suspensions. If a player just had 10 games off and he knows his next one is 20 you will see his stick and hits get lower and his play be less dirty. There should be absolutely no favouritism or guessing of infractions. If its a hit to the head, 5 games, pre-meditated? 5 more. Was the player injured? Another 5. Is the player a repeat offender? Suspension doubled. Let's have some damn uniform punishments instead of "well my opinion is.." Punishments.

Yes Winnipeg lost a team because they had financial troubles. Yet the yotes have been having financial troubles for the better part of a decade and Bettman has bent over backwards to keep that team in Arizona including cancelling sales to move the team out of Arizona and going so far as to buy the team until a suitable owner could be found, something he has never done for any Canadian team.

If the NHL was favouring Canadian teams, bettman would have cancelled any sales of and saved both Canadian teams he lost.

You consider losing three teams, including a second Atlanta expansion, having 6 expansion teams in the red, with minimal chance of them getting out and residing over 2 and a half lockouts a success? Well please hire me for your business then, I'll make you proud.

Huh? Again, all baloney and no facts. Bettman and the American teams in the NHL propped up Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver financially for many years in the precap era, when the Canadian dollar was running at $.65 and all those teams were borderline or worse. Without the lockouts and the enforced salary cap, it is very likely all four of those teams would be long gone, certainly the three small market teams would never have survived without- wait for it- Bettmans insistence on propping them up. Winnipeg was such a pathetic basket case they were gone by then. Even the NHLPA can grudgingly acknowledge reality while they cash some very fat paycheques, what is your excuse for the ongoing fantasies?

The league is in far, far better shape now than then, when only about ten teams total were doing better than breaking even.

Huh? Again, all baloney and no facts. Bettman and the American teams in the NHL propped up Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver financially for many years in the precap era, when the Canadian dollar was running at $.65 and all those teams were borderline or worse. Without the lockouts and the enforced salary cap, it is very likely all four of those teams would be long gone, certainly the three small market teams would never have survived without- wait for it- Bettmans insistence on propping them up. Winnipeg was such a pathetic basket case they were gone by then. Even the NHLPA can grudgingly acknowledge reality while they cash some very fat paycheques, what is your excuse for the ongoing fantasies?

The league is in far, far better shape now than then, when only about ten teams total were doing better than breaking even.

Please show me the evidence that the NHL financially supported Calgary and Vancouver.

Please show me the evidence that the NHL financially supported Calgary and Vancouver.

Look up the Financial Currency-assistance Program.

I dont think Van was on it, but Edm Calgary and Ottawa sure were.

He helped stabilize wobbly franchises in Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa through the Canadian currency-assistance program and enabled Minnesota and Winnipeg to get their franchises back

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/after-20-years-gary-bettman-is-still-standing/article7893843/?page=all

There is evidence that had someone milquetoast been brought in to replace Stein, the NHL either would have folded or been re-born as another league.

The NHL was in shambles, underutilized, poor at making money, about to collpase on itself among 'some' of the problems.

Anyone worth their weight as a comissioner should have been able to bring about these changes without 2 and a half lost seasons. There's a very real possibility that Arizona and Florida could lose their franchises, unless a crosby-esque savior comes along. Many american teams are in financial trouble and Bettmans southern expansion strategy could look like a complete flop in a few more years. He already lost Atlanta back to Winnipeg, begrudgingly. And he may lose Florida to Quebec. Las Vegas may look like an attractive option but if the novelty wears off, it may look like another failed Bettman experiment.

Every league relocates franchises for a variety of reasons from fan/corporate interest, arena/stadium issues, ownership money problems, etc. All the major North American leagues have had strikes, lockouts and relocated clubs.

Garry Bettman's job as the commish is to represent the owner's interests. Under his watch league revenue seen incredible growth, he instituted cost control in the form of a cap, increased TV revenue, average franchise values, created a strong global web presence and IMO improved the product on the ice as well. He seems like an unlikable ass but he has done great things for the owners.