2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Every league relocates franchises for a variety of reasons from fan/corporate interest, arena/stadium issues, ownership money problems, etc. All the major North American leagues have had strikes, lockouts and relocated clubs.

Garry Bettman's job as the commish is to represent the owner's interests. Under his watch league revenue seen incredible growth, he instituted cost control in the form of a cap, increased TV revenue, average franchise values, created a strong global web presence and IMO improved the product on the ice as well. He seems like an unlikable ass but he has done great things for the owners.

He has done good things, I will agree with that. But for every good thing there are bad things. There's a reason why he is booed in every single arena he visits. Something not shared by any of the other 3 major sport comissioners in North America. He doesn't even hand out trophies sometimes because of the booing. Everyone seems to stick up for him around here but go to literally any major hockey forum and the decision is pretty unanimous. There are much better things he could have done, for the league but more importantly the fans and obviously for the players.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by my point that the Jets are more sound defensively without Buff on defence. He's a fun player to watch though, especially when he's on, so the Jets could certainly get a lot in trade for the remaining year on his contract.

I really hope management realizes that the team really does perform better without him. We should try and get some defensive futures for him while the iron is hot.

Everyone seems to stick up for him around here but go to literally any major hockey forum and the decision is pretty unanimous. There are much better things he could have done, for the league but more importantly the fans and obviously for the players.

Every hockey forum but this one, where you're the lone voice diminishing the very real accomplishments of Bettman?

The fans: he saved several teams from extinction, brought hockey to marets that were not served and relocated teams back into former failures like Winnipeg.

The players: he made most of them very wealthy and ncreased the available jobs dramatically. He had to drag them kicking and screaming into personal wealth, but oh well.

More numbers that damage your argument:

in 1993 the average player salary was $463 k. Today it is $2.58 million.

In 1993 there were 552 players on NHL rosters. Today there are 690, 138 more guys who would not be making NHL bucks pre-Bettman.

The players are complaining?

I don't think so.

Back to topic: what a great ending to the season in both conferences.

Ottawa has done some amazing stuff but they need some help to make it- Pittsburgh Detroit or Boston has to choke a bit while the Sens keep winning.

Calgary and Winnipeg both looking to be in control of their own destinies. The Flames have a showdown with LA for all the marbles, the Jets just have to win one of their last two......

And who was saying the Oilers were tanking?

They put some serious sand in the Kings Vaseline last night.

Because Atlanta doesn't count?

Atlanta?

Gary was still in diapers when the Flames started in Atlanta.

Every metric you want to use, apart from the uber dumb hockey forum members who scream about Bettman he has been damn good.

Hey, dont fret , at one point I too had no use for the man, but when looking into his success and his failures it becomes very clear the former outweight the latter by at least 10-1.

You really think that Goodell is loved?

Most b-ball folks thought the car dealer in Milwaukee was a lousy Commish and was merely a puppet.

Damn , what the hell is wrong w Pittsburgh?

The Sens storm back to win? I dont get that team, but good on them and its fun to watc.....oh wait, blacked out in TO. Damn, we could actually watch a real team but no.....

Honestly, the Sens need even more luck than theyve had....they could be the luckmeisters of this years playoffs ;) and go far.

Or bomb out the next game and go golfing.

Atlanta?Gary was still in diapers when the Flames started in Atlanta.Every metric you want to use, apart from the uber dumb hockey forum members who scream about Bettman he has been damn good.Hey, dont fret , at one point I too had no use for the man, but when looking into his success and his failures it becomes very clear the former outweight the latter by at least 10-1.You really think that Goodell is loved?Most b-ball folks thought the car dealer in Milwaukee was a lousy Commish and was merely a puppet.

You do know Atlanta was given a second franchise under Bettman right? Where do you think Winnipeg 2.0 came from?

Edited by PrimeNumber

More numbers that damage your argument:

in 1993 the average player salary was $463 k. Today it is $2.58 million.

In 1993 there were 552 players on NHL rosters. Today there are 690, 138 more guys who would not be making NHL bucks pre-Bettman.

The players are complaining?

I don't think so.

Yeah because the NHL isn't getting sued for negligence by former players. Money isn't everything.

You do know Atlanta was given a second franchise under Bettman right? Where do you think Winnipeg 2.0 came from?

Ya know, I totally forgot about the Thrashers. Stupid me.

Thanks for the correction.

I still stand by the rest, Bettman has done far far more good than bad for the NHL.

Nicely summarized. You really don't understand anything about professional sports

Yes because everyone prefers money over potential brain damage. I'm sure Derek Boogaard would tell you he wouldn't take any of it back because he loved the money.... Seriously..

Edited by PrimeNumber

Ya know, I totally forgot about the Thrashers. Stupid me.Thanks for the correction.I still stand by the rest, Bettman has done far far more good than bad for the NHL.

There's still a large amount of bad. Too much in my opinion. The only reason he is still there is because he has done a great job of lining the pockets of some of the more wealthy owners in the league. That's his only real success. But like I said any comissioner worth their high salary should be able to not only grow the league, but keep labour peace as well as expand into reliable and stable markets all while maintaining and enforcing player safety. I'm sorry but I don't think Bettman has accomplished this and in my opinion is a bad commissioner.

Anyways, how bout them Jets? I wonder if there is a way we can get buff suspended for the playoffs if we make it?

This is true. Hopefully Florida will give us one more.

Where? Quebec is too small and are going to regret building the new arena. Unless they get an angel investor who has really, really deep pockets it ain't gonna happen there.

And they'll let Florida fold before they relocate it to Southern Ontario. They could easily support another team beside the Leafs, but the Leafs have enough clout to halt it. In any case, no way would the NHL accept a piddly $60 million 'relocation fee' for south ON like they got for the move from Atlanta to Winnipeg. They'll want at least $300 million for that market if they can bully or buy cooperation from Toronto. Florida is much more likely to end up in Las Vegas, or possibly Seattle.

Where? Quebec is too small and are going to regret building the new arena. Unless they get an angel investor who has really, really deep pockets it ain't gonna happen there.

And they'll let Florida fold before they relocate it to Southern Ontario. They could easily support another team beside the Leafs, but the Leafs have enough clout to halt it. In any case, no way would the NHL accept a piddly $60 million 'relocation fee' for south ON like they got for the move from Atlanta to Winnipeg. They'll want at least $300 million for that market if they can bully or buy cooperation from Toronto. Florida is much more likely to end up in Las Vegas, or possibly Seattle.

Quebec isn't to small. Its been proven that an NHL franchise needs much less metropolitan population in Canadian cities than American cities to thrive. There has been a few people and companies interested, the most recent I heard of was Quebecor. Bettman has already said no teams will ever relocate to other conferences so if Florida goes up for sale its staying on the eastern side of North America. LV and Seattle will be expansions or the Coyotes and due to how much the NHL has investes in keeping the Coyotes in Arizona I don't see them relocating any time soon. LV has an arena in the works, successful ticket drive and is more or less going to happen. The question is will Bettman wait until Seattle gets their crap together or will he just have a one off expansion and then if Seattle is ready another one off expansion. Either way Bettman has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to mess with the conferences, he's alright with toying with the divisions though. Chances are after the NHL hits 32 teams we will see a division shake-up.

QC is about 2/3rds the size of Winnipeg, so that poses a couple of issues.

But then again, they are the French and they are passionate about the game. Also there is the large corridor of Mtl to QC to raise funds and sell corporate seats. Thats something Winnipeg doesnt have .

I dont really know but suspect QC will be successful if they get a franchise. The dollar tanking is troublesome for the small markets.

We shall see

QC is about 2/3rds the size of Winnipeg, so that poses a couple of issues.

Quebec is the 7th largest CMA in Canada with 799 600 people as of July 1st 2014. Winnipeg is the 8th largest with 782 600.

Edited by Smallc

Quebec is the 7th largest CMA in Canada with 799 600 people as of July 1st 2015. Winnipeg is the 8th largest with 782 600.

I did the pop's of each city and you can see I added that corridor.

I think they can handle it and would very much welcome a team back in QC .

The Leafs it is pretty safe to say will never allow a team to move into the 100k territory they own.