New Testament Bible: Pride Is An Evil Thing

dpwozney

You seem to be using some different definition for Christian. For my definition of a Christian, a Christian is someone who does not endorse, support, and/or celebrate pride, given that the Greek word hyperēphania in Mark 7:22 has been translated in at least sixteen Bible translations as "pride", and given the other references to pride in various Bible translations.

I am using a different definition. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the Bible it says they should be nice to people. I'm using that bit.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it does.

You seem to be using some different definition for Christian. For my definition of a Christian, a Christian is someone who does not endorse, support, and/or celebrate pride, given that the Greek word hyperēphania in Mark 7:22 has been translated in at least sixteen Bible translations as "pride", and given the other references to pride in various Bible translations.

One of those Bible translations, the KJV translation, states:

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

(Mark 7:20-23, KJV)

One of those Bible translations, the KJV translation, states:

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

(Mark 7:20-23, KJV)

So does this mean that Christians can't be foolish either? Because then, I'm pretty sure no one in the history of Christianity has ever been a Christian.

Next time I see a car with a bumper sticker that says "Proud parent of a Kim City Christian Academy student!" should I tell those people that they're not actually Christians? Or should I let them continue to sin and let God deal with it?

-k

Does your definition of Christian include someone who endorses, supports, and/or celebrates an evil thing?

My definition of Christian includes someone who actually knows an evil thing when they see one.

Ok, well if we're using YOUR definition of Christian... wait... why would we do that again ?

Maybe we should use MY definition ? I define it as...

Wait... we should maybe let Jesus speak for himself:

http://biblehub.com/john/15-12.htm

"“This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.”"

Lots of translations on that page.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well if we're using YOUR definition of Christian... wait... why would we do that again ?

My definition of Christian is basically the same as most commonly-accepted definitions of Christian, such as "a follower of Jesus Christ", "a believer in Christianity", and "an individual who seeks to live his or her life according to the principles and values taught by Jesus Christ".

Jesus Christ taught that pride is an evil thing (Mark 7:20-23).

My definition of Christian is basically the same as most commonly-accepted definitions of Christian, such as "a follower of Jesus Christ", "a believer in Christianity", and "an individual who seeks to live his or her life according to the principles and values taught by Jesus Christ".

Right... but it's difficult to tell when translation from ancient Aramaic though Greek whether he was actually referring to the Pride parades of the day.

Are you a proud Canadian?

Is this included in the biblical "pride-ban"? As MH points out, your interpretation of this particular passage is rather shaky... Please give us more examples of the sinful behaviour...

You have mentioned you can't be proud to be gay... "gay pride"

Can you be a proud parent? Have pride in your kids' accomplishments? Is that a sin?

Limiting your interpretation to one single event, which you happen to disagree with, is rather convenient...

As MH points out, your interpretation of this particular passage is rather shaky...

I interpreted "pride", in Mark 7:20-23, as meaning "pride".

A person can be proud; in fact, not only can people be proud, but people shall be proud, as 2 Timothy 3:2 indicates.

3:1 This know also: that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, without selfcontrol, fierce, despisers of those who are good,

4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God,

5 having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof. From such turn away.

(2 Timothy 3:1-5)

Christians do not go around using non-word-of-God definitions and disagreeing with Jesus Christ.

A lot of them disagree with Christ's opinion of those who pray in public. Christ would not be down with big-box churches and fish stickers on your bumper.

More than anything, he was opposed to anyone judging his neighbour. So under my (and Christ's) definition of Christianity, your judgement of those who are proud makes you not a Christian.

Edited by BubberMiley

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

Matthew 7:1-2

The commandment in Matthew 7:1-2 is to judge not violations of the laws of God along with dispensing out measures. See also Matthew 13:28-30.

New Testament Christian law does not instruct men to carry out any specified penalty, punishment, or enforcement for violations of the laws of God before the end of the present church age.

Nevertheless, both good and evil are to be discerned.

"Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?"

Luke 12:57

"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

John 7:24

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Romans 12:2

"But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man."

1 Corinthians 2:15

"For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord."

Ephesians 5:8-10

"That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;"

Philippians 1:10

"City of Edmonton Senior Policy Advisor" Gibby Davis is quoted in this December 8th Edmonton Journal article.

Endorsing, supporting, and/or celebrating pride does not include Christians.

Jesus Christ referred to pride as being an evil thing.

Mark 7:20-23 (KJV)

Of course religion is and always has been just a creation of the ruling classes to impose their will on the people, so this kind of oppressive 'rule' is predictable in that context.

Fine for kings and priests and the merchant class to be greedy adulterous vain and malicious, but not the people. :lol:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Exactly.

And Christ is speaking of pride in the context of wealth and being so proud that you feel you are superior to others.

Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches.... (Jeremiah 9:23)

Christ does not have a problem with pride in the glory of being one of God’s children. Pride in that context is fine: “In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God.” (Romans 15:17)

Pride in being what God made you is just a recognition that we are all His children. Sadly, there are a lot of pseudo-Christians who ignore his teachings in the hopes of belittling others.

Christ was clear in how he thought of those people too.

“Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.” (Proverbs 11:12)