New Testament Bible: Pride Is An Evil Thing

dpwozney

"City of Edmonton Senior Policy Advisor" Gibby Davis is quoted in this December 8th Edmonton Journal article.

"Events like this or pride parades, it gives people that may not always feel they are part of Edmonton an opportunity to feel welcome," Davis said. "I thought it sent a good message to our city that we want everyone to feel included, and the last couple of weeks might not have done that for everyone."

Endorsing, supporting, and/or celebrating pride does not include Christians.

Jesus Christ referred to pride as being an evil thing.

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."
Mark 7:20-23 (KJV)

Edited by dpwozney

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A crowdsourcing project was undertaken this year that asked Atheists to rewrite the ten commandments. The writers of the chosen submissions split a prize of $10,000.00. Here they are:

• Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  • Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
  • The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  • Every person has the right to control over their body.
  • God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
  • Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
  • Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
  • We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
  • There is no one right way to live.
  • Leave the world a better place than you found it.

Can't go wrong with following these commandments.

A crowdsourcing project was undertaken this year that asked Atheists to rewrite the ten commandments. The writers of the chosen submissions split a prize of $10,000.00. Here they are:

• Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  • Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
  • The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  • God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
  • Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
  • Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
  • We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
  • There is no one right way to live.
  • Leave the world a better place than you found it.

Can't go wrong with following these commandments.

I read this article a few days ago, much better than Moses' original commandments.

Just listening to the snowmobiles outside, I wish people would pay more attention to number 8.

Of course, Moses never even mentioned snowmobiles. A major failing with his set of commandments.

I imagine the climb to Mount Sinai in the winter would have been much easier if Moses was rockin' a Ski-Doo Renegade. :D

Jesus Christ referred to pride as being an evil thing.

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

Mark 7:20-23 (KJV)

What evidence do you have that Jesus Christ actually said the above quote?

Even if he did say it, and let's just make a massive leap of faith and say Jesus really is the son of God...well sorry I disagree with him, there's nothing wrong with being proud in many cases, especially when many people in society, including yourself, tell you your very nature is "wrong" and "evil".

I like them all except this one:

Clearly a pro-choice theme. What if there is another body within your body? Too controversial & therefore not universal, should be left out.

No, it's required for assisted suicide.

Edited by bcsapper

"Leave the world a better place," is a dumb commandment. That is the sort of thing that can be completely out of your hands.

"God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life," is also a dumb commandment because it is not a commandment at all. It is a statement with a truth value.

"Leave the world a better place," is a dumb commandment. That is the sort of thing that can be completely out of your hands.

"God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life," is also a dumb commandment because it is not a commandment at all. It is a statement with a truth value.

It's in your hands if you choose to try and make a difference otherwise you just let it get out of hand. If everyone tries something will happen, if no one tries well you get the picture.

Also aren't all commandments just statements? it's a rule the allows rather than forbids.

I like them all except this one:

Clearly a pro-choice theme. What if there is another body within your body? Too controversial & therefore not universal, should be left out.
I think it's push-back against religion trying to tell people what they should do to their bodies... from birth control to dying with dignity to genital mutilation, to drugs and alcohol.... This particular "atheist commandment" is telling the religious to butt out of people's autonomy over their own bodies. (Remember this is particular to the USA where this contest comes from, I think)

Although, I do think a list of atheist commandments is a stupid concept, IMO. There are no tenants of atheism. The only thing in common is a disbelief in gods.

Edited by The_Squid

I think it's push-back against religion trying to tell people what they should do to their bodies... from birth control to dying with dignity to genital mutilation, to drugs and alcohol....

Drug prohibition and drug control isn't necessarily a religious idea - it's about public health, and the collective conversation of what kind of society we're going to have.

Although, I do think a list of atheist commandments is a stupid concept, IMO. There are no tenants of atheism.

I think you mean 'tenets'.

Drug prohibition and drug control isn't necessarily a religious idea - it's about public health, and the collective conversation of what kind of society we're going to have.I think you mean 'tenets'.

It isn't necessarily religious, that's true. But in the context of the tenets :) of atheism, I am pretty sure this how this particular one should be read. Although, like a holy book from ancient times, this particular tenet is vague enough that we can interpret it in whatever fashion we wish.

Which is one of the issues I have with the atheist commandments. That and they have nothing whatsoever to do with atheism.

What might help is the "Humanist 10 commandments"

At a summit of Nobel Peace award winners in Warsaw, Polish Nobel Peace laureate Lech Walesa called for a “secular Ten Commandments,” a guide for universal values that transcend religious beliefs. The response has been a heated debate among secularists about what could constitute such a guide. And while some have criticized the idea for being too dogmatic, others have embraced the notion of a set of rules which might bridge the gap between evangelicals and nonbelievers.

Thus we propose herein to provide such a list, a Humanist Ten Commandments, that it might serve to aid those questioning the moralities of the universe regardless of their religious belief or nonbelief. Many of the ideas behind these commandments are inspired by the tenets of humanism, as outlined in the Humanist Manifesto, and by the Kochhar Humanist Education Center’s “Ten Commitments.”

First, though, it must be said that the idea of a secular Ten Commandments should best be viewed not as a set of rigid, unbreakable rules (for what punishment should a humanist fear from breaking them?). Rather, these should be read more as strongly-worded suggestions for living, the kinds of ideas that, if everyone followed them, might make the world a better place all around.

THE HUMANIST TEN COMMANDMENTS

1) Thou shalt strive to promote the greater good of humanity before all selfish desires.

2) Thou shalt be curious, for asking questions is the only way to find answers.

3) Harm to your fellow human is harm to humanity. Therefore, thou shalt not kill, rape, rob, or otherwise victimize anyone.

4) Thou shall treat all humans as equals, regardless of race, gender, age, creed, identity, orientation, physical ability, or status.

5) Thou shalt use reason as your guide. Science, knowledge, observation, and rational analysis are the best ways to determine any course of action.

6) Thou shalt not force your beliefs onto others, nor insist that yours be the only and correct way to live happily.

7) If thou dost govern, thou shalt govern with reason, not with superstition. Religion should have no place in any government which represents all people and beliefs.

8) Thou shalt act for the betterment of your fellow humans, and be, whenever possible, altruistic in your deeds.

9) Thou shalt be good to the Earth and its bounties, for without it, humankind is lost.

10) Thou shalt impart thy knowledge and wisdom gained in your lifetime to the next generation, so that with each passing century, humanity will grow wiser and more humane.

http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2013-10-the-humanist-ten-commandments

What might help is the "Humanist 10 commandments"

http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2013-10-the-humanist-ten-commandments

Humanism is by its own label a self-centered philosophy. As your posted commandments shows, humanism pays little attention to how humans and their interactions affect other living organisms and the global ecosystem as a whole. And yes I read #9, but it's still only in service of human interests.

IMO. There are no tenants of atheism. The only thing in common is a disbelief in gods.

The word "atheism" means to not have a belief in gods. But in our society it has become associated with the brand of secular humanism popular with the left. We likely need a different word for the latter.

I wish people would pay more attention to number 3.

Depends. Does is mean "don't question what left-wing approved priests scientists say"? or Does it mean is "use the scientific method to understand the world"? I suspect you mean the former and don't like it when people use the scientific method to come to conclusions that you don't like. Edited by TimG

Of the original 10 commandments, there's only four that are really still much use-- thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not commit adultery, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bear false witness.

Observe the sabbath? pfff.

-k