New Testament Bible: Pride Is An Evil Thing

dpwozney

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the original 10 commandments, there's only four that are really still much use-- thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not commit adultery, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bear false witness.

Observe the sabbath? pfff.

-k

Not coveting stuff your neighbour has sounds like good advice...

I think the commandments should have said something about rape and slavery... Coveting seems like such a minor infraction. Maaybe they could add a couple commandments? And get rid of the more inane ones.... Who keeps the Sabbath these days??

Edited by The_Squid

I dunno, I kinda like the injunctions against killing and stealing. But maybe that's just me.

"Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective."

I think it's safe to assume this applies to murder and theft, unless of course you want people to steal your things and you want to die?

Well "good advice" is hardly the basis of law. Once the coveting crosses the line to become stealing, then sure. But up to then? Like Squid points out, a Commandment against Covet when there's no Commandments against Rape or Slavery seems like putting on the icing before you've made the cake. Surely that wouldn't be the case if the Ten Commandments were really the basis of our legal system, as certain types like to claim it is.

Personally, I do a lot of coveting. I live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of homes in the mid 7-figure price range and vehicles that cost 6 figures. God struck me down every time I thought "I want to have that someday" I'd be long dead.

And really, where would our economic system be if people stopped coveting their neighbors' stuff? "Keeping up with the Joneses" is arguably a key driver of economic activity.

-k

• 1 month later...

So you're not proud of being a Christian?

The Squid:

The word "pride/proud" has more than one meanings. Notice the definitions below from Merriam-Webster's Dictionary:

DEFINITION OF "PRIDE"

: a feeling that you respect yourself and deserve to be respected by other people

: a feeling that you are more important or better than other people

: a feeling of happiness that you get when you or someone you know does something good, difficult, etc.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pride

Based upon the context at Mark 7:22, Jesus Christ was referring to definition #2: "a feeling that you are more important or better than other people".

Someone can be proud of being a Christian, can be proud their child stays out of trouble and does well in school, can be proud or their own accomplishments, etc.--all of which is with reference to positive things. Feeling you are more important than others is obviously negative behavior, which is why Jesus Christ condemns it.

Alter2Ego

"That people may know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH, you alone are the Most High over all the earth." ~ Psalms 83:18

Foolishness is a sin? Why did no-one tell me this before?

bcsapper:

As used at Mark 7:22, the word "foolishness" is with reference to unreasonable behavior. Below is the quotation taken from the opening post.

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

Mark 7:20-23 (KJV)

Look at the words (the context) that surround "pride" and "foolishness" in those three verses of scrpture. They are all with reference to serious sin/negative behavior--which is the first clue that the use of the words "pride" and "foolishness" are with reference to the more serious meaning of those two particular words.

Alter2Ego

"That people may know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH, you alone are the Most High over all the earth." ~ Psalms 83:18

Edited by Alter2Ego

bcsapper:

As used at Mark 7:22, the word "foolishness" is with reference to unreasonable behavior. Below is the quotation taken from the opening post.

Look at the words (the context) that surround "pride" and "foolishness" in those three verses of scrpture. They are all with reference to serious sin/negative behavior--which is the first clue that the use of the words "pride" and "foolishness" are with reference to the more serious meaning of those two particular words.

Alter2Ego

Is foolishness ever a positive behaviour?

Foolishness is a lack of good sense or judgment; stupidity.

If you spend your entire life praising a being that may not even exist or may exist but may not ever care about you the way your faith believes that being does, that would be foolish.

If you spend your entire life praising a being that may not even exist or may exist but may not ever care about you the way your faith believes that being does, that would be foolish.

PrimeNumber:

Of course foolishness is never positive. But foolishness, in and of itself, is not wicked behavior. That is the point you seem to be missing here. Below are two examples of foolish persons.

EXAMPLE #1:

A person who is merely gullible and makes poor choices is not wicked, despite being foolish in his/her choice of behavior. For example, someone from the country who meets a stranger and is suckered into leaving his/her valuables with the stranger is simply a foolish person.

EXAMPLE #2:

Compare that with someone who knows perfectly well that "buzz" driving is drunk driving but is unreasonable enough to claim a little liquor will not have any effect on his/her driving. That is an unreasonable fool, and a wicked one at that, because he/she is putting other people's lives at risk and doing it knowingly. The same can be said for the unreasonable fools who insist they are quite capable of texting and driving.

See the difference? Example #1 is a person who is naïve, meaning he/she does not fully understand the consequences of his/her foolish behavior. In Example #2, the persons are well aware of the risk they are taking but they are too unreasonable/arrogant to take heed.

Alter2Ego

PrimeNumber:

Very true. Fortunately, I worship Almighty God Jehovah for whom there is ample evidence of his existence. And there is ample evidence to that he cares very much for humanity.

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

"that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous." (Matthew 5:45)

Based upon your above comment, I gather that you reject Jehovah and have opted for the usual atheist theology that members of the Religion of Atheism insist is scientific, particularly Charles Darwin's macroevolution myth. I will have to start up a thread on that topic sometime.

Alter2Ego

PrimeNumber:

Very true. Fortunately, I worship Almighty God Jehovah for whom there is ample evidence of his existence. And there is ample evidence to that he cares very much for humanity.

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

"that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous." (Matthew 5:45)

Based upon your above comment, I gather that you reject Jehovah and have opted for the usual atheist theology that members of the Religion of Atheism insist is scientific, particularly Charles Darwin's macroevolution myth. I will have to start up a thread on that topic sometime.

Alter2Ego

I'm sorry but a collection of books from around 2000 years ago is not ample evidence, it might be for you and that is fine. I am not a member of any religion. But I am somewhere between an atheist, agnostic or a deist. I tend to change my mind frequently. Right now as of today I'm leaning toward a more atheistic lack of belief in any one god or gods.

• 3 weeks later...

While the original poster honed in on the word "pride" itself-- as in the Pride Parade, I think it's the deed, not the word, that the scripture is warning against.

Prosperity gospel preacher Creflo Dollar may not use the word "pride" to describe his new goal of buying a new private jet, and not just any private jet but a top-of-the line $65 million dollar Gulfstream G650. But pride is exactly what it is when he asks his flock of suckers to send him $300 apiece so that he can travel in luxury comparable to billionaires.

-k

• 1 year later...

"RCMP deputy commissioner Marianne Ryan" is quoted in this June 3rd Edmonton Journal article.

"Flying the Pride flag is the RCMP's way of telling Canadians that we are proud of being a diverse organization and we believe in treating all communities equally and with respect," said Ryan.

Publicly and openly endorsing, supporting, and celebrating pride is disrespecful of the Christian community that teaches that pride is an evil thing, which Christian community includes Jesus Christ.

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

Mark 7:20-23 (KJV)

Making judgments about other people's expressions of pride is disrespectful to the Christian community, which teaches that making judgments about others is an evil thing.

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye" Mathew 7.5

Making judgments about other people's expressions of pride is disrespectful to the Christian community, which teaches that making judgments about others is an evil thing.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." (Matthew 7:1-2)

The commandment in Matthew 7:1-2 is to judge not violations of God's laws along with physical measures meted out. See also Matthew 13:28-30.

The New Testament does not prescribe any specified physical penalty, punishment, or enforcement by men for violations of the laws of God before the end of the present church age.

Nevertheless, both good and evil are to be discerned: "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good" (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

Pride is a sin.........because it usually entails defying the command of God. We think we know more than God.

Justifying a sinful behaviour with this usual justification, "It's the 21st century!" or, "Keep up with modern times" .....are examples of prideful statements. The implication is that it is God, who has to conform and adjust His ways to ours.

Edited by betsy

Justifying a sinful behaviour with this usual justification, "It's the 21st century!" or, "Keep up with modern times" .....are examples of prideful statements. The implication is that it is God, who has to conform and adjust His ways to ours.

God has adjusted a lot to modern day interpretations. Does anyone kill witches anymore, other than a few Christians in Africa?

Why did stoning go away? Remember the goold old days when Christians stoned adulterers?

What about divorce? Wasn't it a sin? Seems pretty acceptable these days....

God has adjusted a lot to modern day interpretations. Does anyone kill witches anymore, other than a few Christians in Africa?

Why did stoning go away? Remember the goold old days when Christians stoned adulterers?

What about divorce? Wasn't it a sin? Seems pretty acceptable these days....

God adjusted to modern day interpretation? :lol:

You're confusing God with humans. It's typical of the time, isn't it? Blame God for everything! :lol:

Edited by betsy

God adjusted to modern day interpretation? :lol:

You're confusing God with humans. It's typical of the time, isn't it? Blame God for everything! :lol:

So you think humans should still be stoning adulterers? How very 2nd century of you! Lol

So you think humans should still be stoning adulterers? How very 2nd century of you! Lol

So it is written, so it shall be done:

Leviticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Of course Christians will quote John 8:1-11 saying Jesus forgives us our sins. He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. ....go, and sin no more

Irrelevant!

You said God adjusted to modern day interpretations. :lol:

Shouldn't you be waiting for my answer first? How very desperate of you. Lol.

I didn't bother waiting because I knew no answer would be forthcoming. And I was right! I must be a prophet!!!

Evewn between the Old and New Testaments, if what ?Impact said is correct, the God certainly did adjust His view on certain things. Why did God change His mind between the Old and New books?

Edited by The_Squid

• 3 years later...

"... Motorists and pedestrians around MacEwan University enjoyed a colourful sight Monday, as the campus gears up to celebrate pride month.

The university partnered with the City of Edmonton to paint a rainbow crosswalk on 109 Street and 104 Avenue. The crosswalk is considered to be the first of its kind at a major intersection in the city.

'We should build a community that includes everyone, and we should do more to support those that are vulnerable, those who maybe feel that they don't have a voice, those that feel they aren't included,' said MacEwan University professor Dr. Kristopher Wells. ..."

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/macewan-university-rolls-out-rainbow-trans-themed-crosswalks-1.4439612

Endorsing, supporting, or celebrating pride does not include Christians, followers of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Endorsing, supporting, or celebrating pride does not respect the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ referred to pride as being an evil thing, as recorded in Mark 7:20-23.

"And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man." (Mark 7:20-23 (KJV))