Atheists Lose 9/11 Court Challenge

Shady

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Work on the negative aspects of atheism first, as demonstrated by the OP.

Exactly. There seems to be a more radical strain of atheism that's becoming more prominent. The kind of prosthelytizing atheist. The busy-body, tell everyone else what they should believe, or more accurately, what they shouldn't believe.

No, for what purpose? Museums can't contain semi-religous artifacts? Are you serious? Because it offends your delicate sensibilities? Whatever.

It's a bent piece of steel, with no more religeous significance than something that looks a bit like popular image of Jesus on a grilled cheese sandwich.

Exactly. There seems to be a more radical strain of atheism that's becoming more prominent. The kind of prosthelytizing atheist. The busy-body, tell everyone else what they should believe, or more accurately, what they shouldn't believe.

Gosh anopther one who hasnt a clue about the difference between atheism and atheists.

You two attend the same school? FFS High ?

Agreed. So what's the problem?

Because of the way it is displayed as a religeous symbol. No one would mistake it for anything else. It's not surprising that some see it as an attempt to turn a human tragedy into a Christian tragedy. I think it was a poor choice of centerpiece.

Edited by Wilber

Why would "we" do that ? The design of US currency and coinage reflects the history and values of the nation. "In Atheists We DO NOT Trust"

Except prior to 1956, the US was perfectly fine without 'In God We Trust' on their currency.

How about 'In Humanity We Trust'? Is that better?

Because of the way it is displayed as a religeous symbol. No one would mistake it for anything else. It's not surprising that some see it as an attempt to turn a human tragedy into a Christian tragedy. I think it was a poor choice of centerpiece.

I disagree. I think it was a good choice, based on its significance at the time. (which I admit I did not know about until this thread)

That said, I can't understand the attitude of atheists towards religious symbols of this kind. Don't worship it. Ignore it. Let others worship it as they please.

This day a woman was shot in Somalia for not wearing a veil. As an Atheist, that disgusts me. Islamic symbols at the WTC would not.

Edited by bcsapper

Except prior to 1956, the US was perfectly fine without 'In God We Trust' on their currency.

How about 'In Humanity We Trust'? Is that better?

Actually, it was on their coins since the Civil War.

That said, I can't understand the attitude of atheists towards religious symbols of this kind. Don't worship it. Ignore it. Let others worship it as they please.

It's only about religious symbols in public places where other religions and non-religious don't have the same opportunities.

It is the state holding a particular religion in higher regard.

If this was in a private place not paid for by government, atheists wouldn't have made a peep.

This is kind of like the flip side of when some of those FEMEN women cut down the cross at a Ukrainian cemetery for victims of Stalin/communism. That, I thought, was incredibly disrespectful of the dead. In that case they destroyed a religious symbol wrongly. In this 9/11 case they included one wrongly.

Thats funny because Iv had about 1/2 a dozen preachers show up on my doorstep in the last year with their phony little books... But never one single atheist with a biology textbook. Atheists around the world are a hated and distrusted and tiny minority... for the most part they are scared to even speak.

Edited by dre

Atheists around the world are a hated and distrusted and tiny minority... for the most part they are scared to even speak.

Mostly true, but the so called "new atheists" have become hated by religious groups because they have dared to discuss and criticize religious ideas. Until recently religion was shielded from discussion and critical thought by a cultural cocoon. As it turns out, religious ideas don't hold up well to logic, reason, evidence and rational thought, thus some people become quite angry about it.

The Texas branch of the GOP even opposed the teaching of critical thinking skills in schools because it would lead young people to question traditional ideas. "Remember dem good ol' days when we kept the youngens in line with tales of hell fire and just a pinch of molestation? Now all this here liberal, book learnin' is sending the world to hell in a hand basket. I tell you what."

Edited by Mighty AC

Thats funny because Iv had about 1/2 a dozen preachers show up on my doorstep in the last year with their phony little books... But never one single atheist with a biology textbook. Atheists around the world are a hated and distrusted and tiny minority... for the most part they are scared to even speak.

I'm an athiest and I don't think athiests spend a lot of their time speaking about being athiests. At least the ones I know. That's part of why they are athiests. Better things to do than trying to ram ideas down other peoples throats with scary stories about what will happen it they don't tow the line.

Did you hear about those radical atheists who invaded a church and yelled obscenities and scared children in the church nursery?

Oh wait........

Those were other Christians....

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-antiabortion-fanatics-invade-a-church-service-20140723-column.html#page=1

Then she heard what they were shouting: “Abomination!” “You are going to hell!”

Anti-abortion protesters had invaded the sanctuary. Once worshipers realized what was going on, they raised their voices in song, breaking into “Circle ‘Round for Freedom.”

“They sang and they sang and they sang,” said Vandiver, “until it became clear who was a member of the community and who was there to destroy it. Those who could not be respectfully present were gently moved toward the door.”

But it wasn’t just the sanctuary that was being violated. While the ruckus was unfolding inside, Vandiver told me, other Operation Save America protesters outside the church pressed grotesque photographs of aborted fetuses against the windows of the church’s nursery. “They were yelling about how we were killing babies,” she said. “It was no kinda nice, as we say here.”

After the church service ended, a few abortion protesters hung around and harassed people over coffee, Vandiver said. "One of them told a girl that the reason one of her parents was sick was because he was a sinner and he was going to die and go to hell."

So finding a beam in the shape of a cross is a miraculous event in the wreckage of a building that was made up of crossbeams?

The criteria for miracles is way too low these days....

I've tried for weeks for Jesus to appear on my toast. No luck, so far.

Carve a template, and slide it in next to the toast. Remove it when the toast is almost done, and continue toasting for a minute or so.

You can do dinosaurs, Peter Pan, spaceships, you name it.

Edited by bcsapper

Carve a template, and slide it in next to the toast. Remove it when the toast is almost done, and continue toasting for a minute or so.

You can do dinosaurs, Peter Pan, spaceships, you name it.

I was hoping for miracle toast which did not need human intervention to claim as a miracle. I blew my bread budget this week, I shall try again next week. The only thing I keep getting is the fat Elvis. :/