World Cup!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in the news today that Brazil is going to make a nice profit out of this tournament. The world cup is always good business. What will happen to the profit? Benefit the ordinary people? Don't be silly! FIFA will take a nice chunk and the rest will disappear into better pockets.

In two years time Brazil will host the Olympic games. That is always bad business. Really unfathomable why do cities across the world always compete so hard to host the event which costs a fortune and brings no profit. There will be nothing left of the world cup profit to cover the losses of the olympics.

A lot of these events are catalysts for infrastructure spending. Vancouver got a highway to Whistler and plenty of affordable housing. Toronto is going to host a silly Pan Am games next year but lots of infrastructure spending that might not have happened otherwise was green lit.

The 2012 games seemed to be Net positive to London.

What we're talking about in Brazil is corruption. It's why people are cynical with foreign aid.

Ya it's called "I'm not going to play so hard because I'm not getting paid for this game. God forbid I get injured and can't play for my actual PAYING team"

Same goes for ALL the professional sports.

WWWTT

Blantantly untrue.

You obviosuly didnt watch any sports this past winter, or some 4 odd years before that.

In two years time Brazil will host the Olympic games. That is always bad business. Really unfathomable why do cities across the world always compete so hard to host the event which costs a fortune and brings no profit. There will be nothing left of the world cup profit to cover the losses of the olympics.

Olympics have produced lots of profits.

How about....London, Beijing , Salt Lake ,Atlanta (barely on that debacle),Barcelaona, Soeul , Calgary, LA, Sarajevo ,

Losses, Torino , Athens ( no surprise), Sydney <---Surprises me. Albertville, and of course Lake P{lacid and Montreal

Blantantly untrue.

You obviosuly didnt watch any sports this past winter, or some 4 odd years before that.

Ya, there's a phrase for it.

Maybe you've heard it?

It's called, I GOT A LIFE!

WWWTT

Maybe you've heard it?

WWWTT

So people who like to watch sports don't have a life? Especially the Olympics?

So what are some of the uses of your free time that indicate you have a life?

Edited by Boges

It was in the news today that Brazil is going to make a nice profit out of this tournament. The world cup is always good business. What will happen to the profit? Benefit the ordinary people? Don't be silly! FIFA will take a nice chunk and the rest will disappear into better pockets.

BRazil has other motives than profit for hosting both the World Cup and the Summer Olympics: Number One and Two in terms of greatest and most prestigious international events.

It's a coming out party for a nation that wants to join the global first rank of economies, and wants to be seen to join.

A lot of these events are catalysts for infrastructure spending. Vancouver got a highway to Whistler and plenty of affordable housing. Toronto is going to host a silly Pan Am games next year but lots of infrastructure spending that might not have happened otherwise was green lit.

The 2012 games seemed to be Net positive to London.

What we're talking about in Brazil is corruption. It's why people are cynical with foreign aid.

Yeah these megaevents sometimes pay off when they are held in countries without vast amounts of corruption. But vast amounts of corruption are exactly why some countries get these megaevents over ones with functioning civil societies.

Maybe you've heard it?

WWWTT

Why were you breaking out the Portuguese flags again? Just cuz? Or was there some event happening???

So people who like to watch sports don't have a life? Especially the Olympics?

So what are some of the uses of your free time that indicate you have a life?

WWWTTT uses all his free time to feed the poor. No one should have leisure time or activities or hobbies until all the children have been fed! Then you can watch TV... or go golfing...

We know, its called talking out yer ar** about things you have no idea about but opine (incorrectly) anyway.

Enjoy your life watching other people accomplish things from the comfort of your going no where coach then!

And as far as knowing about watching sports, who cares.

WWWTT

Why were you breaking out the Portuguese flags again? Just cuz? Or was there some event happening???

WWWTTT uses all his free time to feed the poor. No one should have leisure time or activities or hobbies until all the children have been fed! Then you can watch TV... or go golfing...

Because I live in a Portuguese community and my parents are Portuguese. Don't really care if they win or lose because my life will not change either way. No use beyond entertainment value.

WWWTT

Enjoy your life watching other people accomplish things from the comfort of your going no where coach then!

Where was or is my coach supposed to be going?

Whats he coaching when he gets wherever you think he is going?

I like watching others accomplish things, its fun and since I have had my time accomplishing things, I dont mind.

But I did enjoy watching you accomplish pretty much nothing, apart from embarassing yourself with unsubstantitated opinions. SO yea....I guess you have that to cling to.

Speaking of coaches, that Portugal Coach was really bad. 4-0? oh my,

Edited by Guyser2

People like sports because it provides a sense of commonality amongst people. Being a fan of a team during a winning season is a magical thing. Toronto is in the midst of what could be a magical season with the Blue Jays this year. In the early 90's the Jays were on par with the Leafs at any point I can remember. I have rarely seen my parents so happy then when Joe Carter caught that ball in Atlanta in 1992 sealing the first of two World Series. The second win was even more exciting, yet not as impactful.

Sports is escapism no doubt. I often wonder why, I feel so great the next day when my favourite football team wins on Sunday. If they lose, I've learned to let it roll off my back. But in my younger days I was truly upset.

It's actually comparable to politics. Unless your livelihood is greatly effected by a certain party winning an election, often ones life doesn't change all that much. But here I found myself really bummed that the Ontario Liberals (who I find completely objectionable) cruised to an easy victory.

I can imagine feeling that way if a team that I hate wins a major title. I have to wonder how I'd have felt if Canada had lost in Vancouver in 2010 Hockey, or this past February.

But anyway, if one scoffs at people's love of sports, I certainly hope they don't have any hobbies like watching TV or theatre, or even reading fiction or art.

They should only spend their time making a living and making the world a better place, otherwise they must be a loser.

But I did enjoy watching you accomplish pretty much nothing, apart from embarassing yourself with unsubstantitated opinions. SO yea....I guess you have that to cling to.

Speaking of coaches, that Portugal Coach was really bad. 4-0? oh my,

LOL! You enjoyed watching me accomplish nothing on a debate site?!?!?!?

You think I really care about football???

WWWTT

They why are you contributing to the thread? If you were another poster accusations of trolling would be rampant.

Are you under the impression that a debate site stops debate under the travel, leisure and sports heading?

Do I have to be "into" sports to contribute under this thread?

WWWTT

Are you under the impression that a debate site stops debate under the travel, leisure and sports heading?

Do I have to be "into" sports to contribute under this thread?

WWWTT

I guess not, but being dismissive about the value of sports is kind of a non-starter in a thread discussing sports.

If you want to talk about the value of sports that probably should be its own thread. This thread is about discussing the goings on in the World Cup.

BTW Brazil ties Mexico Nil-Nil. I can imagine Brazil fans are pretty pissed about this. CONCACAF is having great World Cup. Canada will really have a tough go trying to qualify for any WC in the future the way teams from their region are playing.

Edited by Boges

Brazil still hasn't convinced but they have played well enough to make through the group and that is enough. No team can play seven consecutive outstanding matches therefore the teams that peak too early in the group-stage always tend to fall flat in the elimination round.

South Korea- Russia starting. Two teams I'd both like to see lose. I've hated South Korea since 2002 how they blatantly cheated in their own tournament.

Edited by -TSS-

Brazil still hasn't convinced but they have played well enough to make through the group and that is enough. No team can play seven consecutive outstanding matches therefore the teams that peak too early in the group-stage always tend to fall flat in the elimination round.

Don't tell the Dutch that.

People like sports because it provides a sense of commonality amongst people. Being a fan of a team during a winning season is a magical thing. Toronto is in the midst of what could be a magical season with the Blue Jays this year. In the early 90's the Jays were on par with the Leafs at any point I can remember. I have rarely seen my parents so happy then when Joe Carter caught that ball in Atlanta in 1992 sealing the first of two World Series. The second win was even more exciting, yet not as impactful.

Sports is escapism no doubt. I often wonder why, I feel so great the next day when my favourite football team wins on Sunday. If they lose, I've learned to let it roll off my back. But in my younger days I was truly upset.

It's actually comparable to politics. Unless your livelihood is greatly effected by a certain party winning an election, often ones life doesn't change all that much. But here I found myself really bummed that the Ontario Liberals (who I find completely objectionable) cruised to an easy victory.

I can imagine feeling that way if a team that I hate wins a major title. I have to wonder how I'd have felt if Canada had lost in Vancouver in 2010 Hockey, or this past February.

But anyway, if one scoffs at people's love of sports, I certainly hope they don't have any hobbies like watching TV or theatre, or even reading fiction or art.

They should only spend their time making a living and making the world a better place, otherwise they must be a loser.

Good post.

I'd add that there is something more basic at work, something that is part of our DNA: tribalism. We are pack animals. 'Commonality' is our safety net. and has been an evolutionary aid that aids our survival. Sports supporters, nationalism, religion, internet forums ..... all our many many social constructs serve to keep out the darjness beyond the ring of light from the campfire.