World Cup!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I find it very hard to believe that they didn't see this coming when they awarded the WC to Qatar in the first place. The Mafia hold FIFA in high regard when it comes to corruption.

I wouldn't put the Mafia in the same league of corruption as FIFA. There is really no need for that kind of gratuitous insult to the diligent hardworking crooks in the Mafia.

The most equivalent level of corruption in sport is the grandaddy of international sleaze: the IOC International Olympic Committee.

• 3 months later...

So I guess we should talk about this no?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0603/705473-fifa/

FIFA whistleblower Chuck Blazer has admitted he and other members of the organisation's executive committee agreed to take bribes.

In a testimony published by the United States Department of Justice, Mr Blazer said "I and others on the FIFA executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup".

Mr Blazer added: "I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup".

Meanwhile, a US law enforcement official has confirmed the FBI's investigation of FIFA includes scrutiny of how the organisation awarded the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 competition to Qatar.

The official, who spoke under the promise of anonymity, said the review of the awards to host the tournament would be part of a probe that is looking beyond the allegations in an indictment announced a week ago of officials of world soccer's governing body.

Swiss prosecutors said then that they were investigating the 2018 and 2022 bids.

Among issues the FBI is examining is the stewardship of FIFA by its long-time president Sepp Blatter, who yesterday unexpectedly announced his plan to resign.

So there's no denying that Qatar got the World Cup because it bribed delegates. Russia and South Africa did too.

So they yank the World Cup from Qatar now that Sepp Blatter is going to be gone and his underlings are facing jail time?

The USA gets the 2022 World Cup by default then right? And does the US only care about this because they got stiffed out of a World Cup through bribery?

So I guess we should talk about this no?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0603/705473-fifa/

So there's no denying that Qatar got the World Cup because it bribed delegates. Russia and South Africa did too.

So they yank the World Cup from Qatar now that Sepp Blatter is going to be gone and his underlings are facing jail time?

The USA gets the 2022 World Cup by default then right? And does the US only care about this because they got stiffed out of a World Cup through bribery?

I don't care what the US motivation is, it's high time this pack of thieves who have highjacked a game got their due. Hope other sports governing bodies are paying attention.

Can I put on my Bush_Cheney beer-sippy-visor-with-American flags on it and state the obvious ?

America arrested soccer, and soccer deserved it.

That's the funny part...Bush_Cheney and most of the USA doesn't give a rip about FIFA or the World Cup.

It's suppose to be corrupt...always has been as long as I can remember.

Can I put on my Bush_Cheney beer-sippy-visor-with-American flags on it and state the obvious ?

America arrested soccer, and soccer deserved it.

Corrupt FIFA officials deserved it.

Soccer thanks America.

I agree that it would be nice if FIFA was transparent and accountable but FIFA is a world organization and not an American or Canadian one. Many countries in these organizations are governed by dictatorships or military or monarchs or whatever. The idea of a bribe may be foreign to us but a way of doing business in many other parts of the world. Why does the West have a right to impose our template on global organization.

I suggest to let the market decide. This organization survives on money and if the major sponsors begin to dictate what they expect then changes may happen. If on the other hand some Saudi multi-brazillionaire decides to fund it then he will dictate the rules.

At this moment they are the only game in town. What they (and we) really need is somebody to start organizing an alternative.

I agree that it would be nice if FIFA was transparent and accountable but FIFA is a world organization and not an American or Canadian one. Many countries in these organizations are governed by dictatorships or military or monarchs or whatever. The idea of a bribe may be foreign to us but a way of doing business in many other parts of the world. Why does the West have a right to impose our template on global organization.

I suggest to let the market decide. This organization survives on money and if the major sponsors begin to dictate what they expect then changes may happen. If on the other hand some Saudi multi-brazillionaire decides to fund it then he will dictate the rules.

At this moment they are the only game in town. What they (and we) really need is somebody to start organizing an alternative.

Delegates like Monserat and Andorra have the same vote in FIFA as America, Germany and Brazil. How does that make any sense?

The sponsors will start to bail with public pressure.

BTW anyone care about the Women's World Cup in Canada?

Canada beat China on Saturday with a late minute penalty kick.

This World Cup has been hotly debated because every game will be played on artificial turf. No way a Men's World Cup would be played on turf. Soccer players apparently hate playing on anything but grass.

I care. I love watching the women's game.

The astroturf thing did surprise me, especially all the black stuff rising every time something hit it. Apparently it's to enable sliding.

The recent arrests of FIFA came as a result of FIFA activities in America. Bribery is illegal there, and in many other countries including Switzerland who will cooperate with extraditing them to face trial. If any of them had been in Canada, we would also be cooperating with extradition.

Being a part of FIFA does not render anybody bulletproof globally. That reality obviously comes a a great surprise to FIFA people.

They are not the only game in town- FIFAs legs would be sawn off if groups like CONCACAF and particularly UEFA withdrew support from FIFA. The African and Asian blocs that formerly supported Blattler will follow the money, and the money is in UEFA.