World Cup!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the Portuguese flag up!

Got to support my parent's country. My father also lived in Brazil during the 1950's so like all Portuguese people, I've got a number two team to fall back on.

If Portugal makes it out of their division, each win will shut down downtown Brampton. And the Peel Regional police will throw a fit because they hate happy people doing happy things!

WWWTT

Any invidual match can end whichever way, anything is possible, but in the long run there are 6-7 teams which have a realistic chance of winning the tournament.

Many years ago a good friend of mine, this Scottish guy that was a huge Rangers fan (not an exaggeration, this guy was football crazy to the point it almost caused his wife to leave him) told me the same thing.

WWWTT

Post game video reviews with strong sanctions for the player (game bans) would go a long way towards eradicating that kind of cheating. Especially in a limited games tournament.

Oh God, they gave the ref a can of spray paint :(

I think the use of that spray foam (lasts about 10 seconds) has been very effective. The sneaking up when the ref turns his back has been avoided and I think we will see more goals from free kicks. As to that poor call in the penalty area, it would be nice if there was a referee in the broadcast booth (like there are in other sports) who could influence a call. I understand that soccer is a free flowing game but often, after a penalty kick is awarded, it takes up to a minute before somebody actually takes that kick. Is that enough time for a TV referee to negate the call? Is the TV replay not already used on disputed goals?

Call me a traditionalist. I'm okay with goal line technology to decide whether or not a ball has crossed the line, (what Englishman wouldn't be after Lampard in South Africa?) but spray paint is a bit much for me.

It's true a call could be made quickly these days with the technology available, (there is no replay to decide disputed goals - the Ref's watch tells him when the ball has crossed the line) so I would like to see that tried out for dives.

MLS uses the shaving cream/spray paint to good effect. I hate the creeping that occurs on EVERY free kick. I am just surprised that it took them 50 years to institute it.

I agree about the dives. I think if a dive is blatant that they should get a game suspension. That would put an immediate stop to it. It has made soccer a joke at times.

I feel sorry for Mexico. The refereeing is absolutely dismal by any standard and this is the world cup. Mexico have had two perfectly acceptable goals disallowed.

Well, as I'm writing this Mexico scores and this time the goal stands.

The defending champions are getting trounced. They will have a real uphill battle after tonights inevitable defeat. Good for the sport though.

Proof bonifica that this game is fixed!

WWWTT

The defending champions are getting trounced. They will have a real uphill battle after tonights inevitable defeat. Good for the sport though.

Chile and Australia shouldn't be too much of a challenge for them.

Edited by Boges

Australia are clearly tourists, agreed, their prowess is at tougher games bit I wouldn't underestimate Chile. Besides, the trouncing Spain received tonight can't not have some effect on the psyche of the players.

It wouldn't be the first time the defending champions have totally collapsed in the following world cup. France won in 1998 but were total rubbish in 2002. Ditto with Italy winning in 2006 and flopping in 2010.

I couldn't believe it. I put the World Cup highlights on this evening, and there was some late running ice hockey game on instead.

The CBC needs to sort its priorities out.

I know that the referee and the linesmen have to make their calls based on what they see with their naked eyes, they don't have the slow motion-replay technology in their use, but still wrong calls can ruin a game like what happened yesterday in the Mexico-Cameroon match.

I couldn't believe it. I put the World Cup highlights on this evening, and there was some late running ice hockey game on instead.

The CBC needs to sort its priorities out.

I disagree.

World cup football? Hockey in slo-mo. Really boring to watch, like golf or curling.

Edited by August1991