World Cup!

I disagree.

World cup football? Hockey in slo-mo. Really boring to watch, like golf or curling.

Well, I was kinda kidding, having lived in Canada since 1984, and being aware that it was OT in potentially the last game of the Stanley Cup final. And I really don't mind Ice Hockey, as kind of a secondary sport, when nothing else is on. If the Canucks are playing.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game tied 1-1, 30 minutes to go. Some Croatian guy touches a dude named Fred's shoulder. He drops like he was shot. Penalty kick. Brazil wins.

This is why lots of people hate Soccer.

Ya the replays of those acting shows say a lot!

Oh my shoulder, oh the side of my face, oh my ankle, and who can forget the famous and most popular "Oh my shin bone".

Followed by the famous throwing up of the opposing players arms waving franticly "I'm innocent I'm innocent"

WWWTT

Every continent or football-federation has its quota how many teams it can send to the world cup. Europe has a quota of 13 teams and CONCACAF, the federation where Canada plays, sends four teams.

Unfortunately the quota-thinking seems to extend to refereeing too. Such substandard refereeing thus far that they must be some quota-referees.

If the number of teams for each federation were based on real ability Europe would send at least 20 of the 32 teams.

If the number of teams for each federation were based on real ability Europe would send at least 20 of the 32 teams.

I disagree. Why are 3 European teams near the bottom of the odds to win if Euro is so much better? (Clearly, Europe has more top teams). Bosnia, Croatia and Greece are ranked near the bottom of this tournament. If Europe was that much better, these teams would be ranked much higher. If 7 more teams were from Europe, they would be just barely into the tournament ahead of the bottom nations that are in there now. There isn't much to choose between the bottom Euro nations and the bottom nations that are in there now.

Plus, there is always going to be some subjectivity to rankings to get into the World Cup. Many nations don't play amongst each other, etc.

Edited by The_Squid

Tonight's match reminded why Uruguay are despised internationnally because of their reputation of being rats. When they are losing they start deliberately injuring their opponents by kicking in the feet.

Very glad that they lost and will most probably not advance from the group.

Northern European countries are probably the weakest considering the amount of capital they put into it, worst return. Netherlands/England are good examples.

Having said that, I hope England beats Italy tonight because I freekin hate those arrogant madonas!

Good game so far at the half!

WWWTT

England lost, but I'm not unhappy with the way they played. That's unusual for me. A young team, I see good things ahead for them.

We can still make it out of the group given the Cost Rica win.

England lost, but I'm not unhappy with the way they played. That's unusual for me. A young team, I see good things ahead for them.

We can still make it out of the group given the Cost Rica win.

Indeed, I'm sure England will get out of the group and the round of 16-match will most probably be against Colombia which is a tough nut to crack but still beatable but then comes Brazil and, sorry to say this, England can't beat Brazil: They're just not good enough. perhaps a team like Italy could beat Brazil. That remains to be seen.

Funny how you still seem to talk about England as "we" as IIRC you said you have lived in Canada for 30 years.

Edited by -TSS-

Agreed. I'm looking ahead to the next European Championships. I think we can put together a pretty decent team during the next two years. Then there's 2018 after that!

I did come into this thinking a quarter final spot would satisfy.

Edited by bcsapper

If anybody threatens to boycott Qatar because of the weather, they should be thanked for their input and told 'see ya in 2026'! Manaus in Brazil is a hot and extremely hunid hellhole and nobody is missing any games there.

But there is a better reason for dumping Qatar, and that is the apparent bribery of FIFA executive members to make sure they got the event. It wouldn't be the first time that bribes happened with FIFA, but it would be a novel precedent to have some consequences for the high level corruption in the game.. If the big associations boycott for that reason, FIFA would be forced to divest Qatar.

A good place to start would be to force Blattler out of office. He has done enough damage.

I was just kidding about Canada winning the World Cup in 3022. It will be much later than that.

Anything can happen in sports. Two American players won the Stanley cup last year! None of the Russians, Canadians, or Europeans on the team mattered one bit.

You guys know the last World Cup was in AFRICA! right? No poverty there or anything.

It would be nice if every child in the world was fed before anyone had any fun... but that just isn't realistic.

Canadians go to NHL games in Canada in big stadiums while there is abject poverty in a neighbourhood or a reservation down the street.

Maybe WWWTTT will never do anything leisurely again until the children are fed. Of course in an earlier post he mentions that he's cheering for Portugal and has Portuguese flags flying... that's a bit hypocritical.... criticize the World Cup while also watching and following it....

I don't think the cheering is going well today though.... Pepe, what were you thinking??? 4-0 Germany over Portugal...

It would be nice if every child in the world was fed before anyone had any fun... but that just isn't realistic.

Canadians go to NHL games in Canada in big stadiums while there is abject poverty in a neighbourhood or a reservation down the street.

Maybe WWWTTT will never do anything leisurely again until the children are fed. Of course in an earlier post he mentions that he's cheering for Portugal and has Portuguese flags flying... that's a bit hypocritical.... criticize the World Cup while also watching and following it....

I don't think the cheering is going well today though.... Pepe, what were you thinking??? 4-0 Germany over Portugal...

Wow 4-0!

Good thing I missed the game. Looks like the flag won't be up for much longer.

Anyways.

How dare those poor impoverished people! Flaunting their poorness and disparity. Their plight is getting in the way of the enjoyment of many people around the world that don't want to be bothered or reminded that there are people living on rummaging through garbage for a meal! Those poor people have a lot of nerve!

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

You guys know the last World Cup was in AFRICA! right? No poverty there or anything.

You know what, you're absolutely right!!!

If no one cared about poor people before, than it's ok to NEVER EVER EVER care about poor people again!

Thanks for setting the world straight again Boges!

Give yourself a big pat on the back buddy! You deserved it!

WWWTT

It seems taking advantage of developing nations is FIFA's MO lately.

No one is shocked by it.

The World cup in South Africa was seen as Africa's emergence on the world stage. How's that going for them?

Sporting events are the true opiate for the masses. Please see the video I posted in the OP.

Edited by Boges

Zee Germans!!! Zee Germans!!!!

The last time Germany had it this easy they were invading France.

Ya it's called "I'm not going to play so hard because I'm not getting paid for this game. God forbid I get injured and can't play for my actual PAYING team"

Rinaldo actually wrote the book on that one!

Same goes for ALL the professional sports.

If you want to get all serious about a bunch of millionaire cry babies, I'm sure they really appreciate it!

WWWTT

Ronaldo basically won them their qualifying game against Sweden. I remember sitting at a Portuguese cafe in 2012 seeing Ronaldo win a game for his country.

We need look no further than a bunch of Canadian Millionaires play their heart out in Russia for their country.

I believe Ronaldo is injured. If you want to get angry, get angry at Pepe. He, more than any, cost them that game. But it seems Germany is too strong regardless. Portugal did just make this tournament by the skin of their teeth.