World Cup!

It's that time where people put flags on their car for the country of their parents and/or grandparents and people bitch about people not showing faith in Canada even though Canada sucks at Soccer. AND!!!! There'll be silly people that will put Canada flags on their car just to be nationalistic twits.

Here's a funny clip about how corrupt FIFA and the World Cup is.

I hope either PortuGAL! or Argentina wins. Actually I really want England to win but they won't so I'm not holding out hope. If Spain wins they should shut this tournament down.

Edited by Boges

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brazil are definitely the biggest favourites to win the tournament on their home-soil but at the same time the pressure on them is enormous.

I'm sure that most Brazilians think that if Brazil doesn't win then Spain, Germany, France, Italy; any of those will be ok but absolutely not Argentina or Uruguay. Either of those two teams celebrating winning the world cup at Maracana would be nothing short of a sacrilege.

Which makes the pick for Argentina particularly delicious !

Kind of like Sweden winning on Finnish soil.

Or the USA beating Canada for Gold in Vancou......oh wait that didnt happen. Then in Socchi, naw didnt happen there. Hang on...Salt Lake....nope didnt happen.

Nevermind.

The USA could have easily won that game in 2010. Not sure if there'd have been rioting in the streets had they won.

There certainly wasn't rioting after the 2002 win in Salt Lake.

I think these countries take Soccer even more seriously than we take hockey. The US doesn't really have much national pride in the sports they like as the only sports they care about are the sports they dominate. Except for Baseball, but baseball doesn't have a proper way to determine the real best nation in the world.

The US doesn't really have much national pride in the sports they like as the only sports they care about are the sports they dominate. Except for Baseball, but baseball doesn't have a proper way to determine the real best nation in the world.

Well they do have a proper way, it just doesnt get any traction because no one wants to shut er down for any time period.

Well they do have a proper way, it just doesnt get any traction because no one wants to shut er down for any time period.

They have the WBC but you can't get MLB teams to sign off on a real baseball tournament with real rules, they have weird rules because it happens during Spring Training.

I'd say if you lined up a 9 player lineup you'd be far more impressed with a Dominican Republic team than a US team. Clearly because they won the last WBC. The Japanese and Cuban play in different leagues so you can't do an Apples to Apples comparison. Tanaka and Darvish's success indicates that the Japanese are certainly able to hang in the MLB.

The US in baseball is like Canada was hockey. You don't always get the best team together but you have the best depth overall of talent.

Soccer is the only sport that has true international interest in a "World Championship".

Baseball, Basketball, have a large international following but they don't have leagues all over the world with an agreement that they can decide the best nation once every 4 years.

Rugby and Cricket have World Cups similar to Soccer though.

They allegedly have the World Bseball Classic, but many of the best players from America don't go. Those that are allowed to attend by their pro teams are cponstrained. The pitchers are all on pitch counts.

Can't say I blame MLB or the players, why risk a career ending injury for..... nothing?

I do think the US would be favorites if everybody went without restrictions.

Canada will challenge for the World Cup of Football in 2022.

Do you think Qatar will be divested of the tournament? There has been a revelation of irregularities in the bidding-process whn Qatar was awarded the games. Oh dear, who would have ever thought of that.

My view is that the issue is taken up again must be because the associations of big countries have told FIFA they're not going to play in Qatar in summer in a possible 50-degree heat.

Edit: Just saw your post being edited. However, it is worth pointing out that Qatar was rather ominously awarded the tournament in 8 years time.

Edited by -TSS-

A Qatar WC would be Lulz. They'd have to have it in the Winter or Fall. But all the IMPORTANT soccer leagues play then. Right now MLS is going on but no one cares.

I've heard the idea of outdoor AC.

The cruddy thing about yanking the WC from Qatar would be that all these migrant workers have already died trying to build these stadiums. Apparently construction workers get their passports yanked when they come to Qatar.

FIFA should make a decision soon if they do want to move the WC to a more friendly place.

Do you think Qatar will be divested of the tournament? There has been a revelation of irregularities in the bidding-process whn Qatar was awarded the games. Oh dear, who would have ever thought of that.

My view is that the issue is taken up again must be because the associations of big countries have told FIFA they're not going to play in Qatar in summer in a possible 50-degree heat.

Edit: Just saw your post being edited. However, it is worth pointing out that Qatar was rather ominously awarded the tournament in 8 years time.

If anybody threatens to boycott Qatar because of the weather, they should be thanked for their input and told 'see ya in 2026'! Manaus in Brazil is a hot and extremely hunid hellhole and nobody is missing any games there.

But there is a better reason for dumping Qatar, and that is the apparent bribery of FIFA executive members to make sure they got the event. It wouldn't be the first time that bribes happened with FIFA, but it would be a novel precedent to have some consequences for the high level corruption in the game.. If the big associations boycott for that reason, FIFA would be forced to divest Qatar.

A good place to start would be to force Blattler out of office. He has done enough damage.

I was just kidding about Canada winning the World Cup in 3022. It will be much later than that.

BACK to Europe? It was in Europe as recently as 2006 in Germany. Spain is the defending champ, Italy before them. Brazil won in 2002 but France won in 1998. The only non-European team to win in my memory is Brazil.

Apparently no European team has won a South American World Cup, of course they haven't had one there in 30 plus years.