Michael Sam; homosexual NFL football player

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll go on the Ram's practice squad before that.

Looks like he's cleared waivers so no other team needs him on their 53-man roster.

I don't know the process for NFL rosters and player rights, but I do recall that this time of the year is when CFL teams bolster their rosters with guys who didn't quite make the NFL. Are those guys who couldn't earn a place on a practice squad either?

The process seems so different from the NHL, where it seems like guys have forever to make the team. You're drafted, you play a couple more years of junior, maybe a bunch more years in the minors, and you still belong to the same team and go to their training camp each September. The NFL seems like the complete opposite.

-k

I don't know the process for NFL rosters and player rights, but I do recall that this time of the year is when CFL teams bolster their rosters with guys who didn't quite make the NFL. Are those guys who couldn't earn a place on a practice squad either?

The process seems so different from the NHL, where it seems like guys have forever to make the team. You're drafted, you play a couple more years of junior, maybe a bunch more years in the minors, and you still belong to the same team and go to their training camp each September. The NFL seems like the complete opposite.

-k

The NFL doesn't have a farm system like other sports. College football is free development for the NFL. That's why, unlike in the NBA, you have to stay 3 years in college to be eligible for the NFL draft.

The CFL is also a development league for the NFL. The NFL actually is a big supporter of the CFL. They wouldn't put a team in Toronto if it mean the CFL teams there would suffer.

Sam was promised a role on a the Rams practice squad. Since he's appears to have cleared waivers I'm assuming he'll be one of the 10 players the Rams can put on their practice squad.

Now if the Rams or any other team needs a Defensive End they can make a claim for Sam. The Rams have the right of first refusal but they need to make room on roster for him.

Players will get injured so being on a practice squad is a better position than moving on to the CFL. I read the stat that 1,100 football players were cut this past week. An NFL team can only carry 10 practice squad players. so that still leaves hundreds of quality football players looking for work.

Edited by Boges

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/rams/2014/09/01/michael-sam-not-signed-to-st-louis-practice-squad/14935237/

He's not going to be on the practice squad. Maybe he will try his hand in Canada.

When you think about it, it's not a surprise. They were deep at that position to start with.

I don't know what the policies are with CFL teams taking on cut NFL players.

Edited by Boges

It happens often.

But players are often reluctant to give up on their NFL dream, going to the CFL is pretty much an acknowledgement that you aren't very good.

Cameron Wake on the Miami Dolphins played in BC. He's one of the best at the position in the NFL now. It can be a good chance to prove yourself.

Warren Moon, Joe Kapp, Joe Theismann to name a few. All played in th CFL before making it in the NFL.

Problem with Sam is that he's not an unknown everyone knows who he is. He'll get lots of media attention here too.

Success in the CFL from a good college career isn't a lock. Heisman winner often flame out. It's a very different game.

Edited by Boges

Problem with Sam is that he's not an unknown everyone knows who he is. He'll get lots of media attention here too.

Success in the CFL from a good college career isn't a lock. Heisman winner often flame out. It's a very different game.

There is a lot more passing which will be nice for a D-end. The mobility of the quarterbacks will likely be good practice as well. I'm not sure if the 1 yard gap is detrimental to lineman's timing if he wants to go to the NFL or not.

There is a lot more passing which will be nice for a D-end. The mobility of the quarterbacks will likely be good practice as well. I'm not sure if the 1 yard gap is detrimental to lineman's timing if he wants to go to the NFL or not.

O-lines in the CFL aren't nearly as good. That's one reason pocket passers have trouble.

I've read Sam was a better run stopper which isn't something that helps a lot in the CFL.

His lack of size won't be much of an issue but his speed needs to improve.

Edited by Boges

O-lines in the CFL aren't nearly as good. That's one reason pocket passers have trouble.

I've read Sam was a better run stopper which isn't something that helps a lot in the CFL.

His lack of size won't be much of an issue but his speed needs to improve.

It might be a good place to work on his pass rush, quickness and strength and try out again next summer.

I'm hearing a lot of people blaming the media regarding Michael Sam. The media makes someone a distraction. A marginal player usually gets picked up or not solely based on merit. But when there's a social relevance to the player then there are other factors to consider.

Jackie Robinson was brought in as the first black player to play in the MLB because it was known he was excellent. Michael Sam is a nice player but there are too many questions for teams to bring him on knowing the attention he brings.

I'm beginning to agree with what I've been hearing that Jeff Fisher actually did Sam a disservice by drafting him. The Rams didn't need another Defensive End, it was immediately an uphill climb for him. And keeping him on the team as long as they did hurt his chances to hang on with another team.

He'd have been better off as an undrafted Free Agent.

Warren Moon, Joe Kapp, Joe Theismann to name a few. All played in th CFL before making it in the NFL.

Sure, but they are exceptions.

There are roughly 180 American players in the NFL and every one of them wishes he was in the NFL. So do the roughly 180 Canadian players who mostly only have jobs because teams are obliged to have non-imports on the roster.

Not many of them go to The Show.

The NFL doesn't have a farm system like other sports. College football is free development for the NFL. That's why, unlike in the NBA, you have to stay 3 years in college to be eligible for the NFL draft.

The CFL is also a development league for the NFL. The NFL actually is a big supporter of the CFL. They wouldn't put a team in Toronto if it mean the CFL teams there would suffer.

Sam was promised a role on a the Rams practice squad. Since he's appears to have cleared waivers I'm assuming he'll be one of the 10 players the Rams can put on their practice squad.

Now if the Rams or any other team needs a Defensive End they can make a claim for Sam. The Rams have the right of first refusal but they need to make room on roster for him.

Players will get injured so being on a practice squad is a better position than moving on to the CFL. I read the stat that 1,100 football players were cut this past week. An NFL team can only carry 10 practice squad players. so that still leaves hundreds of quality football players looking for work.

Montreal has him on the neg list and he would be welcome here in the CFL ,just like African American QB's back in the day. And the CFL is not a development league for the NFL. The games are very different and CFL 'ers are usually smaller . I would like to see the biggest linemen in the NFL play on a CFL field. a lot of players in the CFL have the right stuff for the NFL but size.

The real reason they aren't eligible until after three years is that it saves the NFL money that way, no bidding wars for very young high school age kids who are very very uncertain to make it as pros. The NFL is unique among major pro sports in that they have serious control over their players and this is an example. Hockey, baseball and basketball all have many other leagues where you can make a living at the game, football has pretty much two and one of them is a financial monster. No guaranteed contracts is another example of their complete control.

Three years out of high school, not 3 yrs of college to be eligible

If a kid isn't playing college football and getting noticed, three years out of high school means he has a good start on a career at KMart because there isn't much in developmental leagues other than college/uni.

If a kid isn't playing college football and getting noticed, three years out of high school means he has a good start on a career at KMart because there isn't much in developmental leagues other than college/uni.

Redshirt means he doesnt play, injury means he doesnt play, but still eligible for the draft after 3 yrs out of high school.

Lots of sprinters dont play college ball yet get drafted.