This week in Islam

kimmy

35 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

"And you..." ????

No....American "killers" are citizen criminals, not imported from Syria for feel good politics.

Why can't he just stay in Canada after serving a token Hug-A-Thug® sentence ?    What do you have against Syrian Muslims ?

I think GH wants to bomb something. Can you guys sell us some bombs so he can bomb Mecca?

Edited by DogOnPorch

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

"And you..." ????

1.  No....American "killers" are citizen criminals, not imported from Syria for feel good politics.

2.  Why can't he just stay in Canada after serving a token Hug-A-Thug® sentence ?    What do you have against Syrian Muslims ?

1.  All Americans are imported from somewhere, just like all Canadians.  Perhaps you are even descended from the hated and feared Irish or Catholics.  If xenophobes of the day had had their way, Irish and Catholics would be exceedingly rare in America today.

2.  I have nothing against Syrian Muslims.  I am not enamored of killers, whether they are Syrian, Canadian, Muslim, Christian, Aetheist or Agnostic.  But it seems we can't deport Canadians.

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

1.  All Americans are imported from somewhere, just like all Canadians.  Perhaps you are even descended from the hated and feared Irish or Catholics.  If xenophobes of the day had had their way, Irish and Catholics would be exceedingly rare in America today.

2.  I have nothing against Syrian Muslims.  I am not enamored of killers, whether they are Syrian, Canadian, Muslim, Christian, Aetheist or Agnostic.  But it seems we can't deport Canadians.

Born in Canada. I bet BC was born in the USA (music plays).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

1.  All Americans are imported from somewhere

Nope....vast majority were..."Born in the USA" (like Bruce Springsteen)

Then why do you want to deport this alleged Syrian murderer ?    

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

I think GH wants to bomb something. Can you guys sell us some bombs so he can bomb Mecca?

Considering you supported bombing, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, even if I did want to bomb Mecca (you know the holiest place in ALL of Islam that is built on that Quran you keep talking about). Might solve a lot of our problems with Islam which you bitch about in almost every post you throw up here.

Nothing beats a dead Muslim right Doggy?   Oh let's bitch about Syrian refugees but not make one peep when Saudi Arabia attacks a bus load of children in Yemen.

Sit the F down.

2 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

I don't think anybody cares about your word games. 

The only games played are by you. Now that you've been caught and thrown down, this is the route you take.  Which really is the correct course of action from you. Good, let the adults handle the conversation.

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

The only games played are by you. Now that you've been caught and thrown down, this is the route you take.  Which really is the correct course of action from you. Good, let the adults handle the conversation.

Nobody is stopping you in your quest to deport Saudi dental students from Canada.

9 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Nobody is stopping you in your quest to deport Saudi dental students from Canada.

So much for not caring about my word games.  But you know damn well that is not what I am talking about. But you are free to keep trying to troll and I will continue to call you a Saudi terrorist supporter until you definitively say otherwise.

Why do you prefer on Islamic terrorist nation over another?  Not sure you even have the capability of even articulating that.

Saudis follow Islam and I know you have a problem with Islam.  So what is it Doggy?

It only took less than a week for this murder victim to be forgotten. Now we know Islam is the real victim re: the murder of Marrisa Shen. The Chinese Canadian community should apologize for this hate crime.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/marrisa-shen-murder-1.4818244

38 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It only took less than a week for this murder victim to be forgotten. Now we know Islam is the real victim re: the murder of Marrisa Shen. The Chinese Canadian community should apologize for this hate crime.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/marrisa-shen-murder-1.4818244

Saudis are also Muslims. 

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/saudi-man-who-punched-female-bartender-loses-sentence-appeal-and-faces-deportation

2 minutes ago, Goddess said:

It's women in Canada that bear the brunt of the extreme misogyny we are importing.  They don't like being told "No" by a woman and don't see why they can't physically assault women who do.

Right, but we have some people that are selective about what type of bad behavior is acceptable.  Good think in the link I posted he was not a medical student, but had a Commerce degree. That kind of behavior makes us look weak.

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

It's women in Canada that bear the brunt of the extreme misogyny we are importing.  They don't like being told "No" by a woman and don't see why they can't physically assault women who do.

Wow, that brush you have there is so broad, it appears to be covering every Muslim man in Canada. Given this brush, don't you find it amazing that there are any women left alive in Canada, especially the ones I personally know who say "No" to Muslim men regularly.  

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Wow, that brush you have there is so broad, it appears to be covering every Muslim man in Canada. Given this brush, don't you find it amazing that there are any women left alive in Canada, especially the ones I personally know who say "No" to Muslim men regularly.  

You are soooooo quick to judge my motives and determined to paint me as a racist and Islamophobe  that you fail to read what is written.

My first sentence made it clear who I was referring to - extreme misogynists.

Or are you now denying that there is extreme misogyny in Islam?

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Goddess said:

My first sentence made it clear who I was referring to - extreme misogynists.

Right.  How many of the Muslims we import are "extreme misogynists"?  Can you quantify them in some way?   If you truly aren't intending to broadbrush Muslim men as 'extreme misogynists', then I am sure you'll be able to specify just how many Muslim men are 'extreme misogynists'.  Right?

I understand that in your expert opinion, the only reason he punched her was because he's an 'extreme misogynist"; young, male and drunk had nothing at all to do with it.  Because young, drunk, males never ever get drunk and punch women - unless they are Muslim, I guess. 

By the way, this guy is not a Canadian Citizen, or even a permanent resident.  He's a Saudi - from one of the most extremely misogynistic countries in the world, I agree.  And since he's being deported - guess we're not importing that 'extreme misogynist'.   Which is fine by me, by the way.  Even if he's the nicest guy imaginable when sober, and only a misogynistic asshole drunk, I'm ok with not keeping him around.  (There are only about 8,000 Saudi-Canadians, we don't import many of them at all).

By the way, weren't you just recently criticizing JT for supporting Freeland in her stand against Saudi Arabia's terrible human rights record?   

Or are you now denying that there is extreme misogyny in Islam?

What I have said, and what I will continue to say, is that just like all religions, Islam easily lends itself to misogyny.   Generally speaking, Middle Eastern and African cultures are patriarchal, regardless of whether one is Christian, Muslim or "other".  Misogynistic practices in the Middle East and in Northern Africa are widespread, whether one is Christian, Muslim or "other".    

You are soooooo quick to judge my motives and determined to paint me as a racist and Islamophobe  that you fail to read what is written.

I think I read it just fine, and I think you are now backtracking.  However, I think this bears repeating:

On 9/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, dialamah said:

I suppose you could be right.

Perhaps I am just confused because of the history amongst some people of pointing out how dangerous Muslims are every time a Muslim name is in the news.  Maybe its due to their claims of "government\media" hiding the truth if the Muslim name isn't immediately confirmed to be involved in terrorism or of being a sexual predator or cheating the system. 

Maybe my confusion over motivation arises from the way in which positive news stories with Muslim names is, again, claimed to be government/media propaganda and so unusual as to be unbelievable.  And sometimes even spun to cast a negative sheen over a success story. 

Could it be the reliance of some posters on news sources that have a known anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant agenda, that have been known to run falsehoods, that are deeply and irretrievably linked with White Supemacists?

Could all that be why I am confused over the motivations of some of the posters here?

Edited by dialamah

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

Right.  How many of the Muslims we import are "extreme misogynists"?  Can you quantify them in some way?   If you truly aren't intending to broadbrush Muslim men as 'extreme misogynists', then I am sure you'll be able to specify just how many Muslim men are 'extreme misogynists'.  Right?

I understand that in your expert opinion, the only reason he punched her was because he's an 'extreme misogynist"; young, male and drunk had nothing at all to do with it.  Because young, drunk, males never ever get drunk and punch women - unless they are Muslim, I guess. 

By the way, this guy is not a Canadian Citizen, or even a permanent resident.  He's a Saudi - from one of the most extremely misogynistic countries in the world, I agree.  And since he's being deported - guess we're not importing that 'extreme misogynist'.   Which is fine by me, by the way.  Even if he's the nicest guy imaginable when sober, and only a misogynistic asshole drunk, I'm ok with not keeping him around.  (There are only about 8,000 Saudi-Canadians, we don't import many of them at all).

By the way, weren't you just recently criticizing JT for supporting Freeland in her stand against Saudi Arabia's terrible human rights record?   

What I have said, and what I will continue to say, is that just like all religions, Islam easily lends itself to misogyny.   Generally speaking, Middle Eastern and African cultures are patriarchal, regardless of whether one is Christian, Muslim or "other".  Misogynistic practices in the Middle East and in Northern Africa are widespread, whether one is Christian, Muslim or "other".    

I think most people who argue against "importing Muslims" don't particularly care if its the religious or the cultural aspects of their views that make them likely to be "extreme misogynists". From this point of view, you're not really scoring any points with the argument of "It's not because he's Muslim, it's because he's from the middle-east"!

If it would make you happier to call these people "individuals of Middle-Eastern or North-African cultural background" rather than "Muslims" I'm sure that can be arranged. Although, personally, I think it's much less discriminatory to criticize a religion, which is just a dumb belief and can be changed at any time (except in Muslim countries where that would be punishable by death, of course), rather than national origin or ethnicity, which are not changeable. 

• Like 2

Truly, what kind of people do this, to me this is insanity

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3834183/A-little-girl-Chennai-India-prepares-scalp-slashed-open-children-smear-BLOOD-Islamic-ceremony-mourning-death-Prophet-s-grandson.html

A little girl prepares to have her scalp slashed open while children smear themselves with their own BLOOD during Islamic ceremony mourning death of the Prophet's grandson

9 hours ago, Bonam said:

Although, personally, I think it's much less discriminatory to criticize a religion, which is just a dumb belief and can be changed at any time (except in Muslim countries where that would be punishable by death, of course), rather than national origin or ethnicity, which are not changeable. 

1.  Culture changes; heck, in the 80s, we in Canada made it illegal for husbands to rape wives.  After decades of activism, we managed to persuade law encorcement that domestic abuse needs to taken seriously and they began to do in the 70s, though it took another couple of decades for this change in attitude to be normalized.  The me-too movement just this year shows how far we've come in understanding that men should be held accountable for sexual assault, rather than women.  So culture does change.

2.  Some people have suggested that Christians should be preferred over Muslim immigrants, even though Christians from the region hold similar cultural attitudes as Muslims. Honor killings, FGM, domestic abuse, patriarchy and homophobia are  common among Christians from North Africa and the ME.  If "cultural backwardness" was really their concern, they'd object to any immigration from that region and not just Muslim immigration.  

3.  You are right in that apostasy in Islam can be punished by death, and this is not true in Christianity.  Nonetheless, social and religious change is happening in those regions, albeit slowly, just as it happened slowly, over centuries, for Christianity and our Western society.  Assumptions by anyone that Islam can't or won't change, that Muslims are stuck with certain behaviors or beliefs and will never change are short-sighted, to say the least. 

Lurid news stories about extremists, murderers, assaults etc are much preferred over stories about Muslims creating progressive communities in Western countries, or stories about progressive activists in Muslim majority countries.  Even the thousands of non-activist Muslims who never even come close to breaking the law are ignored in favor of taking those who do break the law as representative of all Muslims. 

In the case of Ibrahim Idi, he's being portrayed as the confirmation of Islamic misogyny, but the Syrian Refugees who are holding a "vigil of condemnation" are ignored. 

What other group finds it necessary  to publically demonstrate their disapproval when one of their own commits a crime?   When was the last time a bunch of Christians felt it necessary to gather outside a courthouse as a show of condemnation against a Christian accused of a crime?   These Muslim demonstrators always outnumber the Muslim criminal, but still the narrative remains that Muslims generally are more like the criminal than the demonstrators.  Does that seem right to you?  

Edited by dialamah

13 hours ago, dialamah said:

Right.  How many of the Muslims we import are "extreme misogynists"?  C

By western standards? Probably most of them, given the cultures and value systems of the countries in which they were raised.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

2.  Some people have suggested that Christians should be preferred over Muslim immigrants, even though Christians from the region hold similar cultural attitudes as Muslims.

Not true. Lebanese Christians settled into Canada and Australia quite well. Lebanese Muslims not so well.

• Like 1