Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

What's up with the posting videos? Why so anal about it? I find it senseless.

I got so caught up with the discussion, and forgot to post the video "properly," and I got suspended (again), for "image trolling."

I mean, it's so easy to overlook how we're supposed to post videos on this site, since most if not all forums don't have that kind of rule. You simply post your videos (as long as they're not graphic to be offensive or upsetting).

Anyway.....

What's trolling about that when the video I posted was the direct issue of the thread?

I was asked to cite a link that showed Obama giving strategical war information.

Anyone who find that "trolling," have no business being in forums!

What a bummer. It's like getting an iced bucket of water.....enough to cool down your enthusiasm for the discussion.

Meh....who cares. I just went on to another forum and continued on. Posted the same video, too!

That's where we duked it out! :lol:

Looks like I got my groove back again in that site......the place I was trying to have a break from. Thanks.

Edited by betsy

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Image trolling? You'd think if, for some reason, they didn't want links with images, they would just remove the ability to put up links with images.

That's right.

Anyway.....

Youtube is now very much part of a lot of forums! Depending on the issue and material.....videos and images give legs to discussions.

I wanted to do a nostalgia thread here - much like the thread I did in another forum .......

http://www.debatepolitics.com/art-and-entertainment/213850-do-you-remember.html

......but that wouldn't fly here. It'll be shut down at the get go!

I wouldn't bother. I'll just start one at another site, or do a part 2 (since that site doesn't want old threads to be resurrected).

I don't know what the rationale they have for it here.....but for some reason, this site seems to give preference and seems to cater more to those who shouldn't be in forums. :)

Edited by betsy

This has been answered multiple times.

In the Off Topic forums, post all of the images and videos you want.

In the Upper forums, post a hyper-link to any multi-media files.

Still strongly disagree with this. When having any data-based discussion, it is often useful to post images such as graphs and charts showing statistics. The probability that readers of the thread will see these graphics is much higher when they are right there in the thread, compared to if they have to click a link.

This has been answered multiple times.

In the Off Topic forums, post all of the images and videos you want.

In the Upper forums, post a hyper-link to any multi-media files.

Is that rule written in the official list of rules?

The point is, the video was not off-topic. It was bang-on, on-topic. In fact, it was the issue itself!

My thing is not about compliance to the rule. I follow the rules....or at least I try.

It's just that sometimes you're so caught up with the discussion and you forget to post videos "properly' on this site.....and the over-zealous moderation about it, earns you an automatic suspension! Imagine being in the middle of a serious discussion and you get pulled out and told to sit it out! Do you think we can just continue where we've left off after the suspension?

The same enthusiasm for the discussion is still there? What does that do to the discussion here?

The moderator who suspended me complained about his time being wasted on fixing the video I posted.

That's a good point. Learn to qualify - look the other way, maybe? Especially when you know the video was not a troll image at all.

Imho, you can use up your energy more practically in other matters that truly matter....instead of being so hung-up on videos and images. Time-management? Energy-conservation? :)

I'm simply explaining what consequences there is for the discussions on this site, because as far as being suspended is concerned.......all I did was go to another site, and opened up the same topic!

Edited by betsy

Is that rule written in the official list of rules?

No but you were told the same thing multiple times and it was expressly stated in this thread multiple times too.

Perhaps there is confusion over what "In the Off Topic forums" means.

Please replace "In the Off Topic forums" with "In the Arts and Culture, Health, Science and Technology, Business and Economy, Travel, Leisure and Sports, Media and Broadcasting forums" in my previous post.

No but you were told the same thing multiple times and it was expressly stated in this thread multiple times too.

Perhaps there is confusion over what "In the Off Topic forums" means.

Please replace "In the Off Topic forums" with "In the Arts and Culture, Health, Science and Technology, Business and Economy, Travel, Leisure and Sports, Media and Broadcasting forums" in my previous post.

I don't religiously follow this thread. Though I jump in every now and then, it doesn't mean that I read every post.

This is the first time I've read that it's allowed in Off-Topic! See? You admit that there's a confusion.

It'll be simpler if you add it in the Rules section. Unless you want to keep explaining every time someone forgets.

So.....it's not okay to post in the Off-Topic......but it's okay to post videos in all the sections you mentioned?

Edited by betsy

• 3 weeks later...

What exactly is the point of locking topics due to 'thread drift'? Especially when no one is complaining about it?

The more topics you lock the less there is to talk about, the less discussion there is, the fewer people come to post here.

What exactly is the point of locking topics due to 'thread drift'? Especially when no one is complaining about it?

The more topics you lock the less there is to talk about, the less discussion there is, the fewer people come to post here.

Especially when the traffic is less and less here all the time. If you wanted to design forum rules for the express purpose of turning it into a ghost town, the rules here would be what you would do. On most forums, the best organic discussions happen when things drift in another direction.

Why have topics if every thread is going to be about "Muslims good vs Muslims bad" ? It makes for a monotone forum, and betrays the promise of interesting and detailed discussions.

Why have topics if every thread is going to be about "Muslims good vs Muslims bad" ? It makes for a monotone forum, and betrays the promise of interesting and detailed discussions.

Perhaps because there are too many posters who want to comment on "Muslims good vs Muslims bad" since they have little interest in other issues?

Is every thread on "Muslims good vs Muslims bad"? I notice a couple on the Canada forum. Maybe a couple more scattered through other forums like religion and gender. I think you exaggerate. Anyway, what's wrong with warning people to move back to topic?

So anyway - another forum I visit has the moderators create new threads when things go too far off topic and there is still a lively discussion. I agree with MG - locking threads is a terrible way to create discussion.

What exactly is the point of locking topics due to 'thread drift'?

To lead folks to start a Part 2 thread that avoids the derailment.

What exactly is so offensive with starting a Part 2 thread that avoids the derailment?

So anyway -

Do you want moderators to stop thread drift?

What you're doing is much more damage to interesting and detailed discussions than even the worst thread drift.

Thread topics are a starting point. Nobody in a real conversation stays completely on topic. One idea triggers another and off it goes. No rational person stops that in mid-track and says "wait no, that's not what we were talking about". A person who would do that is someone you wouldn't invite out next time.

To lead folks to start a Part 2 thread that avoids the derailment.

What exactly is so offensive with starting a Part 2 thread that avoids the derailment

Nothing offensive about it but now there's nothing to reply to since all the initial posts are in the locked thread.