Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

There's a consistent pattern there with how Ford handles gay issues that suggests he either harbors homophobic beliefs or he wishes to be seen as harbouring such beliefs...

I don't see any pattern so definitely. I can understand how some who want to see such a pattern could presume the meaning of and motive behind Ford's various hints so as to form a pattern of "homophobia". But, looking at it objectively, not going to Pride and not wanting a rainbow flag to fly on City Hall during the Olympics aren't sure or even strong signs of any harboured maliciousness towards people who identify as gay or bi or anything not "straight". I know people who define themselves as gay and don't go to Pride, don't like Pride. And a political issue publicly detracting from support and celebration for Canadian athletes at the Olympics could well be a legitimate concern. Unlike his cerebral dullness, there just isn't enough firm proof on which to base the accusation Ford's a "homophobe".

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? So it's okay if Russia outlaws gays? Nonsense.

No I certainly don't agree with Russia's anti gay laws. My comment was made tongue in cheek in case you didn't catch that. I kind of like human rights, being a human and all. In any case, I have just heard that the right wing, tea party, religious freakshow folks have been sent packing on this issue as the bill has been vetoed. Let's be thankful for "cooler heads"

No I certainly don't agree with Russia's anti gay laws. My comment was made tongue in cheek in case you didn't catch that. I kind of like human rights, being a human and all. In any case, I have just heard that the right wing, tea party, religious freakshow folks have been sent packing on this issue as the bill has been vetoed. Let's be thankful for "cooler heads"

In that case perhaps you might direct your concern towards countries that jail or kill gays. As a human, I feel that's a lot more of an infringement on rights than what some politician writes up in a throw away bill.

In that case perhaps you might direct your concern towards countries that jail or kill gays. As a human, I feel that's a lot more of an infringement on rights than what some politician writes up in a throw away bill.

Well I guess I was just directing my concern toward one of the United States who wanted to enact a bill to be able to legally descriminate against gays. So glad they threw it away and I'm not even gay.

I think you should focus on the politician, then you can get a better bead on the people behind him who have also been instrumental in convincing homophobic countries to bring in the sort of legislation that results in gays being jailed and murdered.

Religious crackpots from the US are exporting and spreading their religiously inspired extremist ideology of hatred and terror anywhere they can - take Uganda for example an inspirational Shining Beacon of religious freedom and hope if there ever was one.

God Loves Uganda

Well, that is good news it was struck down.

I heard the other day that similar bills are pending in about 20 other states.

The crackpot religious types behind this campaign are organized and well funded.

Luckily, their opponents are equally determined and have some heavyweight support in business, entertainment and the public.

The crackpot religious types behind this campaign are organized and well funded.

Luckily, their opponents are equally determined and have some heavyweight support in business, entertainment and the public.

Yes, going after the shop owners is not going to solve anything. Take it up with government officials and make their lives difficult to correct a wrong. Best thing is to not do business with those places and support non biased businesses. Money seems to speak louder than any words. Hit em in their pocket book and they will notice. And they will change their 'ways' all for the income.

But there is also good news with other states. Ohio, Tennessee, South Dakota and Georgia have all "for now" decided not to pursue the "religious rights bill" in their states.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/02/27/now-that-arizonas-bill-is-dead-what-states-are-still-considering-similar-legislation/

Do you have any facts on that? Anything beyond, what you may or may not have heard? Any factual info on these crackpots(like the gay movement isn't well funded), or was it just an excuse to vent?

Well, good for Gov. Brewer. Having powerful businesses complain, and having the NFL not-too-quietly musing about moving the Superbowl out of Arizona (for the 2nd time-- the first was over Martin Luther King Day) probably helped persuade her.

I do have to snicker at the people who defend Arizona with "yeah well what about Russia" or "yeah well in Muslim countries" or "well look at Uganda!"

As if Arizona being better than Russia or the Muslim world or Uganda were some great standard to achieve.

-k

Well, good for Gov. Brewer. Having powerful businesses complain, and having the NFL not-too-quietly musing about moving the Superbowl out of Arizona (for the 2nd time-- the first was over Martin Luther King Day) probably helped persuade her.

I do have to snicker at the people who defend Arizona with "yeah well what about Russia" or "yeah well in Muslim countries" or "well look at Uganda!"

As if Arizona being better than Russia or the Muslim world or Uganda were some great standard to achieve.

-k

Edit: You know what? Forget it. Every time I come on this bloody forum it's the same old side swipes, knee jerk reactions or straw men responses. I pussy foot around trying not to offend on sensitive issues in response get a belly full of nonsense from the same old crew. Well enjoy your ever tightening circle jerk, because one more just left the group.

Edited by sharkman

-k

No standard at all, In fact, I think I will cancel my spring break baseball holiday.

Call me paranoid, but I didn't get the feeling Brewer used her veto power out of any sense of fair play on her part. Just keeping the voters and investors happy.

Edit: You know what? Forget it. Every time I come on this bloody forum it's the same old side swipes, knee jerk reactions or straw men responses. I pussy foot around trying not to offend on sensitive issues in response get a belly full of nonsense from the same old crew. Well enjoy your ever tightening circle jerk, because one more just left the group.

Well I guess I got told. On a scale from "Not Told" to "Toldasaurus Rex", I rate this telling off at about "Stone Told Steve Austin".

I think there's a certain irony when the guy who wrote "In that case perhaps you might direct your concern towards countries that jail or kill gays" storms off because he's tired of knee-jerk responses.

There are certainly places on the internet where "leave Arizona alone, the gays are worse off in Uganda" would be accepted as a reasonable argument. Good luck in your new location, Sharkman.

-k

People were angry about Russia's anti-gay bill during the Olympics, but this is just as bad. Will people "boycott" Arizona is the Governor doesn't veto?

Just as bad? Not being able to get flowers at a certain store is as bad as being beaten and put in prison?

I don't think so.

Just as bad? Not being able to get flowers at a certain store is as bad as being beaten and put in prison?

I don't think so.

Gays in Russia are not beaten and put in prison Captain Hyperbole. The law everyone is on about bans the distribution of "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations" to minors. Its odious to be sure, but lets not go galloping off into fantasy land.

Edited by dre