Ice storm of Canadian winter 2013/2014

Here's the official ice storm thread folks

Please post any pictures that you have of this storm, updates, opinions and anything related to this extreme meteorological event.

There is no topic heading dedicated to meteorology/climate/earthquakes/tsunami, etc. so Charles Anthony allowed me to decide where to place this thread. (and I am still uncertain it is under an appropriate subject)

In light of trying to find a proper heading to list this thread, I have come to realize that since the weather, climate, natural disasters and astronomical events garner so much discussion/debate and controversy, perhaps the moderation may consider this when updating the MLW site.

Here is a link capturing a broad spectrum of the impact caused by ice storm 2013/2014!

http://ca.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7oreXrxSnWoAsbgXFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMDhrMzdqBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=14rbccu7h/EXP=1388105566/**http%3a//news.nationalpost.com/2013/12/22/canada-ice-storm-travel-chaos-power-outages-as-massive-storm-hits-ontario-quebec-and-maritimes/

From my understanding this event effected the four founding Canadian provinces, but Ontario would be the hardest hit.

Also, I saw a map of southern Ontario on the Weather Network showing ice accumulation. Brampton, where I live received 25-30mm of accumulation! This would be the highest amount putting me at ground zero of this storm!

WWWTT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1497795_374160242728863_524339057_n.jpg1002049_374160562728831_449835764_n.jpg598517_374160149395539_1670414553_n.jpg1480729_374160632728824_381082649_n.jpg

Here are a few to start.

From what I can do, it's not easy to post pictures from my computer on to this site.

The weather vane is from my backyard taken on two different days.

Power lines knocked down all over the place to the point the Peel regional police had many streets blocked off till things got cleared from Hydro one workers.

More to come

WWWTT

I was out of power for 10 days during the last one. It was actually great experience. I even went out one night in a sanding truck with a buddy and that was quite the ride, white knuckle all the way.

This is kinda early for an ice storm, usually they come around the end of Feb. early March. We were not affect by it, but I understand what the last group of people are going through and if they can, either bury your hydro cable coming in to your house or go buy a $6000.00 generator to run the home when things like this happens, it will also be a good thing to have for resale value.

This is kinda early for an ice storm, usually they come around the end of Feb. early March. We were not affect by it, but I understand what the last group of people are going through and if they can, either bury your hydro cable coming in to your house or go buy a $6000.00 generator to run the home when things like this happens, it will also be a good thing to have for resale value.

One explanation from a utility head said that buried cables are more problematic to fix when they break. Because they don't know where the break is. With overhead wires you can at least see the problem right away.

A generator should be a must these days. Emergencies happen and anyone can find themselves in one very quickly and will panic if not properly prepared. Bet those people in Toronto thought, 'it could not happen to me!'.

One explanation from a utility head said that buried cables are more problematic to fix when they break. Because they don't know where the break is. With overhead wires you can at least see the problem right away.

But they wouldn't get broken in an ice storm.

A generator should be a must these days. Emergencies happen and anyone can find themselves in one very quickly and will panic if not properly prepared. Bet those people in Toronto thought, 'it could not happen to me!'.

I'd like to have a solar/wind backup/supplementary system. At one time I thought the Ontario gov was going to subsidize such home-based systems, but they subsidized mega-corp projects on greenfields instead. :rolleyes:

But they wouldn't get broken in an ice storm.

True....we had a 5 day outage in 1998 when overhead lines failed. The utility buried the cables and there has not been such an outage since.

Still, people should be prepared with two backups that can use natural gas (which rarely fails), or other independent energy source like Propane. Generators are convenient and can restore the most normalcy with a power transfer switch, but they still depend on a lasting fuel source. Homeowners with land can easily store emergency firewood to use in a properly vented stove or to heat warming bricks outside in a steel trash can.

People in condos and high-rises don't have as many options to go cave man style.

Doe anybody have video of the Toronto Hydro CEO out with his repair crews? I'm getting a little insulted that he's wearing safety colours during City Hall press conferences. Does he think we believe he's out there pulling cable? If he's doing site observations fine, but he's always in the get-up.......damn cynicism. ;)

I hear ya, but it could be worse. It could be Rob Ford in safety colors. Mind you that would probably be UN safe if yoiu have a crack pipe fired up. Anyway they probably don't have vests that large. In any case if you are, or have, suffered through all that my thoughts are with you. I have been there and done that in my day.

Those are picture from around the neighbourhood.

The last couple of days have brought some much needed warmer weather. This has melted most of the weighted ice from any trees, hydro lines and everything else outside covered with dangerous ice. There are still the typical icicles in the usual areas.

WWWTT

Doe anybody have video of the Toronto Hydro CEO out with his repair crews? I'm getting a little insulted that he's wearing safety colours during City Hall press conferences. Does he think we believe he's out there pulling cable? If he's doing site observations fine, but he's always in the get-up.......damn cynicism. ;)

In recent months, the ONDP introduced a private members bill to limit public sector employee wages to 400,000 odd dollars per year.(maybe it was only for CEO's, not sure) And it was shot down by the pc and liberals? Go figure that one out!

Wonder if this guy is trying to take advantage of this disaster to justify his massive salary?

If he is, then he's a scammer!

WWWTT

Then there's this picture that I liked!

383753_10151344437024113_1976107232_n.jp

Now I'm sure that many of these linesman will make the sunshine list when those figures come out next year.

And as usual, some may forget their hard sacrifice when criticizing them!

WWWTT

Now I'm sure that many of these linesman will make the sunshine list when those figures come out next year.

And as usual, some may forget their hard sacrifice when criticizing them!

WWWTT

Brought that up in the RoFo thread and was told, why should we thank them its their job. I smelled a whiner come Moonshine list time.

Brought that up in the RoFo thread and was told, why should we thank them its their job. I smelled a whiner come Moonshine list time.

I'll repeat, it's not the skilled workers that make people "whine" about the Sunshine list. It's the legions of low-skilled workers and paper pushers that find themselves on the list.

But whatever.

I hope this storm causes the city to change it's archaic policy about pruning trees. I've heard many anecdotal stories on the radio this past week that you have to go through multiple levels of bureaucracy to get a tree groomed even if it's on your private property.

I had to look for what forum this thread was in. I apologize but I'm going to politicize this thread for a bit.

This is another boondoggle for the Ontario Liberals.

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ice-storm-gift-cards-run-out-again-as-resentment-mounts-in-toronto/article16180843/

Gift cards intended to help feed those affected by the ice storm ran out again Thursday, leaving many people waiting in frustration.

Carol Leon, who lives in Scarborough, was waiting early at the Golden Mile Employment Centre and said the scene got fractious.

I think people just started to get a little bit impatient and there was a couple of people that got into arguments over spots, she said.Gift cards ran out before Ms. Leon could get one. With more cards expected in the afternoon, she returned and waited about an hour to get one. After having to throw out all her spoiled food after her home was without power for two days, Ms. Leon said she was extremely relieved to receive the food voucher.

How the heck can you ensure those who are in most need get cards if you simply make the program "first come, first serve"?

If Wynne and Co. wanted to ensure people who really needed food could get it, they'd have donated money to food banks or had social services determine who were in dire need for food. But then they couldn't have had that ridiculous photo op with Wynne going door to door giving food out to people. (Pre-screened I'm sure)

Also, how can you ensure that people in need lost power AND needed to throw food away? It was freezing outside. only people without balconies in their apartment would have lost frozen food and if you had no heat I'm sure your house was cool enough to keep food from spoiling.

This is political opportunism at it's worst. It's obvious that Wynne targeted areas where they stood to have a fight with the NDP in the upcoming election.

Well now the NDP can use the semi-riots that have ensued due to this clusterbleep against the Liberals.

Edited by Boges

Also, how can you unsure that people in need lost power AND needed to throw food away? It was freezing outside. only people without balconies in their apartment would have lost frozen food and if you had no heat I'm sure your house was cool enough to keep food from spoiling.

I bet you a significant portion of city folks just don't realize that they can put their food outside to preserve it when it's cold.

I bet you a significant portion of city folks just don't realize that they can put their food outside to preserve it when it's cold.

Sadly this is true, but man, how stupid/fraudulent are these idiots?

A freezer wont thaw in 4 days in a chilly basement. a tote box or cooler will keep food cold and fresh for pretty much a week at this time of year. Put it outside, use the snow to pack it.

People just want freebies, and look pretty damn pathetic lining up for hours to get $50 vouchers.

All said, the Liberals look even more incompetent if they thought , even for a second, that this harebrained idea would work. For one, they know who was without power, they could have mailed them out or delivered to those most affected, they could have supplied a credit on taxes or something like that.

But now, lets cattle car all the truly needed with the "I want mine' scammers into some low rent mall.

Sadly this is true, ....

Truly a bad idea. People should not store perishable food outdoors in cold or sub-freezing weather because temperature variability, direct sunlight, critters, and other uncontrolled conditions may render the food unsafe to eat. If in survival mode, reduce risks instead of increasing them.

Truly a bad idea. People should not store perishable food outdoors in cold or sub-freezing weather because temperature variability, direct sunlight, critters, and other uncontrolled conditions may render the food unsafe to eat. If in survival mode, reduce risks instead of increasing them.

All of these issues are readily addressed by anyone with a brain. Place the food in a location that does not get direct sunlight, be aware of if the temperature becomes so warm that it is no longer safe (and discard it if so), and store it in a sealed hard container (cooler, plastic bin, bear cannister, etc) that critters can't get into. It's not rocket science.

All of these issues are readily addressed by anyone with a brain. Place the food in a location that does not get direct sunlight, be aware of if the temperature becomes so warm that it is no longer safe (and discard it if so), and store it in a sealed hard container (cooler, plastic bin, bear cannister, etc) that critters can't get into. It's not rocket science.

Anyone who has done SOME camping in the great outdoors in their life has had to deal with this. There was a hole in the ground lined with some styrofoam and a wooden latched lid to keep stuff cool in the summer. And simply coolers if we had gone out in the winter.

But that may be an indication of how many people have brains that they can think with.

Always prep for a disaster. You may never need it, but IF and when you do, you will thank yourself. Even small emergency kits will help for a few days.