Ice storm of Canadian winter 2013/2014

Take the elevator down and vacate the place.

Use the walker or wheel chair to get to said elevator

Elevators don't work in multi-day power outages. You also can't get water to work in tall buildings.

I would question the judgement of someone who chooses to live in a large high-rise if they did have mobility issues and were unable to walk down the stairs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elevators don't work in multi-day power outages. You also can't get water to work in tall buildings.

I would question the judgement of someone who chooses to live in a large high-rise if they did have mobility issues and were unable to walk down the stairs.

Because maintenance is much easier. And when the power is on, mobility is much better!

Also many condos are located centrally near amenities.

WWWTT

That's all good advise Army guy, I can't debate you on any of these because I have to agree with everything.

My concern is the governments focus and direction of our military and our police forces across Canada.

I believe it should change to reflect the reality that as Canadians, we face a much greater threat to a domestic weather anomaly or earthquake/tsunami/flood, etc as opposed to an military threat from Iran or the next alleged threat the government implies that we have.

WWWTT

Thats my concern as well, but proably not for the same reasons.

Lets call a spade a spade, DND is not organized, set up for, a major domestic disaster. we just happen to be one of the Depts that have the means to get mobile fast, and some of the equipment needed. The dept responable for this stuff is Federal emergancy response dept. and you'll have to check out their budget before asking any questions. If the majority of Canadians want to change that then so be it, lets us guys in DND know so we can look for a new job...

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/mrgnc-rspns-pln/index-eng.aspx

DND is desined to defend Canada and her interests here and abroad.

those type of things, remember if the roads are closed due to weather, then supplies are not getting into cities, the average city has enough supplies to last about 48 hours only ie food. water, fuel....,if supplies do not come in, then your looking at another problem, people do weird things when forced outside their comfort zone...

This is important to note. I worked in a grocery warehouse, and stuff does not sit around very long. As it comes in, it should be going out. Major grocery chains have streamlines their supply chains so that it's all on time delivery. A grocery store even reduces its stock levels simply because the product is coming in daily.

Any glitch in that and stuff does not get delivered. Even a good winter storm can cause hiccups in the supply chain, since everything is delivered by truck. So I would say 48 hrs is very generous.

If everyone is repared for at least a week, then you would not see the mass clear outs of grocery stores.

But if you happen to be in the area helping with things, I'll be bringing you coffee and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I caught the tail-end of a conservation of a US professor saying that the North Pole is melting and this is the reason California is very dry, England, is almost under water, the rain has over flowed the Thames River which flows through most of southern England, its a real mess. The Southern states of the US has be hit with snow and today Atlanta has 2 inches of ice, power, down school and business are closed. Asked about this summer and his view its going to be very very hot. So look for brown-outs in hydro, limited watering, if any.

Today, I caught the tail-end of a conservation of a US professor saying that the North Pole is melting and this is the reason California is very dry, England, is almost under water, the rain has over flowed the Thames River which flows through most of southern England, its a real mess.

Well, not all of those effects have been associated with climate change as such.

Weather is not the same as climate.

Climate change does cause an increase in extreme weather.

Excellent 3 part article on climate change/weather:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/extreme-weather-caused-by-climate-change/

Scientists used to say, cautiously, that extreme weather events were "consistent" with the predictions of climate change. No more. "Now we can make the statement that particular events would not have happened the same way without global warming," says Kevin Trenberth, head of climate analysis at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colo.

That's a profound change—the difference between predicting something and actually seeing it happen. The reason is simple: The signal of climate change is emerging from the "noise"—the huge amount of natural variability in weather.

Edited by The_Squid

This is kinda early for an ice storm, usually they come around the end of Feb. early March. We were not affect by it, but I understand what the last group of people are going through and if they can, either bury your hydro cable coming in to your house or go buy a $6000.00 generator to run the home when things like this happens, it will also be a good thing to have for resale value.

In New York City area we seem to have had most of our ice storms early, such as December and January. The most spectacular, in December 1973 was not the typical kind. It did not come from "cold air damming" but from us being on the rain-snow line. We had around 2-3" of solid ice on top of about 2" of snow. It was possible to skate between the back yards.

In New York City area we seem to have had most of our ice storms early, such as December and January. The most spectacular, in December 1973 was not the typical kind. It did not come from "cold air damming" but from us being on the rain-snow line. We had around 2-3" of solid ice on top of about 2" of snow. It was possible to skate between the back yards.

Like with most things, time skews all especially the stuff in the mind.

I used to walk uphill to school 2 miles, both ways. At least thats how I remember it.

Edited by Guyser2

Like with most things, time skews all especially the stuff in the mind.

I used to walk uphill to school 2 miles, both ways. At least thats how I remember it.

I know what you mean. But in my case, I'm actually explaining different storms. I've pulled actual maps to check. They are available with some difficulty online.

I have the faintest clue why you would bother. The cost is too high, the deductible is too high, and the coverage is bordering on phony.

Truly best off banking those funds for the future

It's not that high a cost, and banking it for twenty years would only give me maybe six thousand or something. There isn't a very high deductible, and the insurance will replace both home and contents if destroyed. To me it was a simple risk/cost value assessment. The cost of having it is no big deal. The cost of not having it, if there was an earthquake, would be ENORMOUS.

It's the same reason I have dehydrated mashed potatoes and high protein food bars first aid supplies and bottled water and the like. The cost is really not a big deal, way less than the earthquake insurance, but if something happens and I DON'T have food and water, well, that could be even more costly than the house getting smashed by an earthquake. Cities generally only have a few days food in stores and nearby warehouses. If something screws up the system it'll take a while before the government can get things organized and start bringing in massive quantities of food again.

Edited by Argus