Ice storm of Canadian winter 2013/2014

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these issues are readily addressed by anyone with a brain. Place the food in a location that does not get direct sunlight, be aware of if the temperature becomes so warm that it is no longer safe (and discard it if so), and store it in a sealed hard container (cooler, plastic bin, bear cannister, etc) that critters can't get into. It's not rocket science.

No, it's definitely not rocket science. It could be just as simple as throw it in the trunk of your car.

And while we all think it is a no brainer....how many people let their food spoil in the first place....and your right it's not rocket science. It's common sense......

I was deployed on the last Ice Strom, around the Manitick Ont area....i saw to many people standing around waiting for the government to sort things out, to lazy or not having enough common sense to figure simple things out by themselfs....like people with wood stoves linning up for hours to get the 10 sticks of wood the Army had cut up...I'd ask alot of them if they owned a chain saw, most said no, I'd tell them the Army was cutting down downed trees next to the power lines into 4 ft lengths along most of the road ways , leaving them there for anyone that wanted them.....To much work they'd say....I'll just wait in line

The best example i got, people owned homes that depended on sump pumps to keep their basements dry, power goes out basement floods....I'd tell them how to hook up a small 2 K generator to power up the sump pump, most times i'd get sounds pretty complicated to me, i'll just claim it on my insurance.....or wait for the army to come around and provide a mobile gen to help me....

Don't get me wrong there were alot of people who were prepared, or did not mind the additional work ...but most were not, nor did they do anything about their situation.....

And while we all think it is a no brainer....how many people let their food spoil in the first place....and your right it's not rocket science. It's common sense......

I was deployed on the last Ice Strom, around the Manitick Ont area....i saw to many people standing around waiting for the government to sort things out, to lazy or not having enough common sense to figure simple things out by themselfs....like people with wood stoves linning up for hours to get the 10 sticks of wood the Army had cut up...I'd ask alot of them if they owned a chain saw, most said no, I'd tell them the Army was cutting down downed trees next to the power lines into 4 ft lengths along most of the road ways , leaving them there for anyone that wanted them.....To much work they'd say....I'll just wait in line

I was not affected by that ice storm you talk about, but many I know were. I was not prepared if something happened. But now I am. Even minimal preparation will help. Basic suppies for a few days at the least. Food, water, medical kit, candles, flashlights, warm clothes and a way to generate heat. Minimal in preparation, max in payout. Even if I do not prepare more I am still in better shape than 70% of the people I know.

I am better prepared than most and I don't want to be stuck in those lines waiting for a handhout. If there are major events do not expect the government to help anytime soon. It could be days before you get help.

Don't get me wrong there were alot of people who were prepared, or did not mind the additional work ...but most were not, nor did they do anything about their situation.....

We have conditioned people to rely on government to help in disasters. The zombies never prepare.

Truly a bad idea. People should not store perishable food outdoors in cold or sub-freezing weather because temperature variability, direct sunlight, critters, and other uncontrolled conditions may render the food unsafe to eat. If in survival mode, reduce risks instead of increasing them.

A friend of mine who lives in Toronto had to help his 80 something year old neighbour during the power outage.

Now I'm sure that having some knowledge of emergency circumstance is very beneficial, but what about those that are having a challenge taking care of themselves under normal conditions? How will they get by?

WWWTT

We have conditioned people to rely on government to help in disasters. The zombies never prepare.

Ya, and what if you're 80 yrs old and have a bad hip?

Where's the government then?

I guess your only choice is die.

WWWTT

Sorry to remind you, but it is the job of our military to help Canadians! First and Foremost!

Not to go invade some country that never attacked Canada.

I'm sure there are many out there not prepared, but that is EXACTLY WHY we have a prepared military!

That is exactly why those that you helped cut firewood for PAID TAXES FOR!

WWWTT

Ya, and what if you're 80 yrs old and have a bad hip?

Where's the government then?

I guess your only choice is die.

WWWTT

If you're 80 and have a bad hip then you better hope your neighbor is in good enough shape not only to take care of themselves but to help you out, too. Hence the advice to be prepared helps everyone in the community, both those who can prepare and take meaningful action in an emergency, and those who cannot.

If you're 80 and have a bad hip then you better hope your neighbor is in good enough shape not only to take care of themselves but to help you out, too. Hence the advice to be prepared helps everyone in the community, both those who can prepare and take meaningful action in an emergency, and those who cannot.

Not saying that it's not a good thing to be prepared.

Just saying that we pay taxes for a good reason!

After all, hindsight is always 20/20

WWWTT

Not saying that it's not a good thing to be prepared.

Just saying that we pay taxes for a good reason!

After all, hindsight is always 20/20

WWWTT

Expecting the government to hold your hand in a disaster is a really good way to create many more emergencies that could have been prepared for and not become emergencies in the first place. When people prepare and can fend for themselves that leaves first responders to attend to those who really need it, instead of helping WWWTT who needs bandaids for his boo-boo (and he's hungry and thirsty) cuz he wasn't prepared.

Expecting the government to hold your hand in a disaster is a really good way to create many more emergencies that could have been prepared for and not become emergencies in the first place. When people prepare and can fend for themselves that leaves first responders to attend to those who really need it, instead of helping WWWTT who needs bandaids for his boo-boo (and he's hungry and thirsty) cuz he wasn't prepared.

I have enough emergency food and water for months, but I have the money for it. Plus I'm kinda paranoid. For example, I have had earthquake insurance on my house since I bought it, and I live in Ottawa. But I know I'm a very definite minority there. How realistic is it to expect busy families, esp those without a lot of money, to prepare for an emergency which will probably never happen?

I have enough emergency food and water for months, but I have the money for it. Plus I'm kinda paranoid. For example, I have had earthquake insurance on my house since I bought it, and I live in Ottawa. But I know I'm a very definite minority there. How realistic is it to expect busy families, esp those without a lot of money, to prepare for an emergency which will probably never happen?

It's the kind of thing you may never need, but will be glad you have it when you do need it. And even preparing for a few days is better than nothing. I, like you, am good for a couple months.

The more prepared people are, the less of an emergency it becomes.

You are expressing a very right wing approach. As well as taking my comment out of context by inputting some kind of distorted reality you may have.

WWWTT

You are expressing a very right wing approach. As well as taking my comment out of context by inputting some kind of distorted reality you may have.

WWWTT

That's not a right wing view. That is a proper view. The more people that are prepared the less of an emergency it becomes and then the first responders can concentrate on the people who really need immediate attention. We can focus the time and energy to where and who needs it the most. The phrase 'don't become a statistic' comes to mind.

The other benefit is that those who have prepared can now assist others with some help. They become part of the solution instead of amplifying the problem.

Edited by GostHacked

Plus I'm kinda paranoid. For example, I have had earthquake insurance on my house since I bought it, and I live in Ottawa. But I know I'm a very definite minority there.

I have the faintest clue why you would bother. The cost is too high, the deductible is too high, and the coverage is bordering on phony.

Truly best off banking those funds for the future

Edited by Guyser2

You'd think friends, and family would take care of that. That option did not cross your mind?

There are lots of elders living alone who have no family or none nearby. "Friends", if they have them, tend to be of similar age and not in a position to help - ie, dead or infirm or similarly vulnerable.

It often does fall to neighbours to look out for vulnerable people nearby.

And that might mean, should mean, alerting appropriate government services to their needs ... and those services should be available as needed.

'Every man for himself' and 'survival of the fittest' simply aren't viable approaches in every situation. Some people need help.

Sorry to remind you, but it is the job of our military to help Canadians! First and Foremost!

Not to go invade some country that never attacked Canada.

I'm sure there are many out there not prepared, but that is EXACTLY WHY we have a prepared military!

That is exactly why those that you helped cut firewood for PAID TAXES FOR!

WWWTT

Your right it is one of the many jobs our nations military does for this nation, provided it is authorized by the federal government. And your provincial government is willing to foot the bill, unless of course it has something to do with defending the nation which is free to all citizens......thats what your paying taxes for....

As for the remark " Not to go invade some country that never attacked Canada" we both know that our military does not decide were and when we go to war, you'll have to take that up with our federal government...

Those that do not prepare, are going to pay a price. It is every Canadian responsability to be prepared,perhaps it comes with living in a northern enviroment,or as a father, parent , home owner, i can assure you i'm prepared, as are alot of canadians....

You have that responability to ensure you atleast can provide the basics to your family, if you fail in that then perhaps your family should be looking at punting your sorry ass to the curb.....,Army did not come to my house in the ICE Storm of 98, as i was away, my wife was left home alone with the kids, fueling our generator, feeding our kids.....And if i had not prepared thats exactly what my wife would have done, kicked my ass to the curb.....

Those that are going to sit around and wait for our government to solve all your issues, are going to wait a long time...And those that really need it are going to pay a steeper price, your not 19 years old any more time to grow up, when has our government done anything fast, never....prepare your self, save your family some grief....The Time the Army spent on cutting fire wood could have been spent helping the power companies repair the power lines....or helping those 80 year olds survive....Not helping someone who wanted a tax rebate of 10 free sticks of wood a day....when they lived in a forested area of the city.

There are lots of elders living alone who have no family or none nearby. "Friends", if they have them, tend to be of similar age and not in a position to help - ie, dead or infirm or similarly vulnerable.

And that might mean, should mean, alerting appropriate government services to their needs ... and those services should be available as needed.

'Every man for himself' and 'survival of the fittest' simply aren't viable approaches in every situation. Some people need help.

I can only speak about what happen in our area in 98, DND had assisted the RCMP in knocking on every door to ensure everything was good to go, we left flyers on what to do and how to prepare, we provided generators, heat sources to old age homes, set up heat centers, to feed, and heat those that were effected....but resources are very hard to come by, and DND could only do so much, it is important to prepare.

You have that responability to ensure you atleast can provide the basics to your family, if you fail in that then perhaps your family should be looking at punting your sorry ass to the curb.....

Essentially I agree with this, but we are not talking about normal circumstances are we.

What if you live on the 45th floor in a condo? What if you're 80 years old and have some mobility issues? What if your work takes you all over the country and you come back home for only a few days when a disaster such as this very ice storm! (I know a couple people working in Alberta who came home for the holidays). These are just a few of very many possible scenarios where people are not able to be go out and start killing rabbits, make a lean-to shelter and start a fire using twigs and flints to make rabbit stew for dinner.

As far as I'm concerned, the government should be directing the focus of our military more on domestic disaster response issues.

WWWTT

Yes very true jacee!

This will become more of a greater concern as the population ages and life expectancy gets older.

In the future, there will be fewer younger people looking out for the elderly.

Good argument for being more conscious of maintaining independence, but I don't think it's as easy as some people think it is for elders.

WWWTT

Essentially I agree with this, but we are not talking about normal circumstances are we.

What if you live on the 45th floor in a condo? What if you're 80 years old and have some mobility issues? What if your work takes you all over the country and you come back home for only a few days when a disaster such as this very ice storm! (I know a couple people working in Alberta who came home for the holidays). These are just a few of very many possible scenarios where people are not able to be go out and start killing rabbits, make a lean-to shelter and start a fire using twigs and flints to make rabbit stew for dinner.

As far as I'm concerned, the government should be directing the focus of our military more on domestic disaster response issues.

WWWTT

There is still lots that you can do to prepare. before you purchase a condo, ask if the building has a back up genertor, for heat and electricity , get a good Propane BBQ if you have a balcony to cook on, stock up on can goods, have some extra fresh water on hand, small stash of cash, extra blankets, cell phone, small things that could save your life....

those type of things, remember if the roads are closed due to weather, then supplies are not getting into cities, the average city has enough supplies to last about 48 hours only ie food. water, fuel....,if supplies do not come in, then your looking at another problem, people do weird things when forced outside their comfort zone...

if your away then make sure someone is checking your place, there are companies that provide that service. Check local conditions before you travel back home so your not forced into a disaster situation....

If your 80 years old, make sure you have someone check on you, again their are companies that provide that service...waiting for the government to do these things is not a good stratagy.

people in the outskirts of the city do this as a daily routine....most of the problems come from people who live in the city, who don't know the first thing about basic survival....And i'm not including slaying rabits, building a lean-to, just the basics.

That's all good advise Army guy, I can't debate you on any of these because I have to agree with everything.

My concern is the governments focus and direction of our military and our police forces across Canada.

I believe it should change to reflect the reality that as Canadians, we face a much greater threat to a domestic weather anomaly or earthquake/tsunami/flood, etc as opposed to an military threat from Iran or the next alleged threat the government implies that we have.

WWWTT

What if you live on the 45th floor in a condo? What if you're 80 years old and have some mobility issues?

Take the elevator down and vacate the place.

Use the walker or wheel chair to get to said elevator

Edited by Guyser2