Sporadic Out of Context Moderation

Smallc

Here is a question for all of you who are complaining: If you believe this forum is heading in the wrong direction, what have you done to reverse the trend? If you can’t answer that simple question, perhaps you should consider the impact of your actions.

I've stopped participating as much, that's what I've done. This is a great place with some great people, but, there are real problems that exist, or I'd never create a thread like this. When I see someone like Cybercoma being suspended without any real reason or explanation....

There are clearly defined rules, and then there is reasonable enforcement. I agree, we are all responsible for our own actions, but when those actions result in an unquestionable suspension, it really does become difficult to reverse the trend. Without people like Argus, Cybercoma, Derek, etc who contribute well thought out intelligent posts (many of which I don't agree with), this place is going nowhere. This is a place for intelligent discussion. At times things will get heated, but locking threads and sudden swoops of mass suspensions isn't the answer.

Warnings used to be given. That seems to be a thing of the past, for some reason. The warnings seemed to work rather well, in my opinion.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their forum. Their rules. If they want to suspend me, it doesn't matter whether I agree with them or not. If I get fed up enough, I can stop posting like Smallc has. There's no point in debating about it. They're not going to change their mind. I don't agree with either suspension that I've had, but then when does anyone agree with their suspensions.

• Forum Admin

So let me get this straight... we've been too hard on some of you (i.e. those of you in this particular thread), but not hard enough on others (i.e. those you don't agree with)?

Look, I don't mean to seem like I'm whining at all...in fact, I really don't like to rock the boat generally. I've just been a little dismayed to see much of what has happened here lately. Maybe it's just my perspective.

You can climb down off the cross Smallc, no one is going to ban you for opening yet another thread whining about moderation.

Bringing up legitimate points about the moderation of this forum in a fairly respectful manner is not "whining". I'd expect moderators to take the high road and set an example in trying to keep this a civil discussion instead of belittling people for having an opinion.

Also, how many threads has smallc started about moderation? I can find zero, besides this one.

Everyone here is responsible for what the things they say... period. If you were warned or disciplined, it was because you broke the clearly defined rules.

You cannot blame anyone for the mistakes you make, particularly the moderator or myself.

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. What people here are saying is that it seems that often the punishment does not fit the crime. A couple of years ago, all of a sudden MLW users were being suspended in much higher numbers than normal. This hasn't made the board better IMO. I've never seen any other board operate like this. Users disappearing for weeks or months at a time and other users not knowing what the heck is going on. And it seems like warnings are disappearing and inconsistent zero-tolerance suspensions taking their place. People should at least be warned, and if warnings aren't heeded then suspensions given.

Here is a question for all of you who are complaining: If you believe this forum is heading in the wrong direction, what have you done to reverse the trend? If you can’t answer that simple question, perhaps you should consider the impact of your actions.

Discussing it here is a good start. But I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread is locked not too long from now.

• Forum Admin

Ok, everyone's criticism for the lack of communication has been noted. However, I should note that any disciplinary action is ALWAYS accompanied by a warning. However, this jives with the above accusations that members were warned/suspended/banned without notice.

So I actually logged in as a test user and actually sent myself a warning. Low and behold, no warning arrived in my email inbox. Therefor there appears to be a issue with the warning system.

Give me some time to figure everything out and I will update this thread when I know more.

Thanks

So I actually logged in as a test user and actually sent myself a warning. Low and behold, no warning arrived in my email inbox. Therefor there appears to be a issue with the warning system.

I would like a couple of 'get out of jail free cards' for the warnings I never received - thank you. Carry on.

Ok, everyone's criticism for the lack of communication has been noted. However, I should note that any disciplinary action is ALWAYS accompanied by a warning. However, this jives with the above accusations that members were warned/suspended/banned without notice.

I was suspended for the first time this summer. I didn't receive a warning, and in fact the person who suspended me outlined reasons for me in a PM of why I deserved to be suspended without a warning.

I was suspended twice without warning...and I can promise you that no warning was sent. I was suspended days after the actual 'crime'.

From a practical point of view, the mods can't/won't dish out suspensions in same day precision each time. There will usually be a lag after the 'crime' depending on reporting circumstances or mod's review of posts and awareness of the transgression.

As for suspensions and PMs:

Captain: Don't you ever talk that way to me. (pause, then hitting him) NEVER! NEVER! (Luke rolls down hill; to other prisoners) What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

• Forum Admin

Ok, I've track down the problem.

Because of a configuration issue with the send mail functionality, IPB wasn't sending out notices (of PMs or warnings). I won't go into details, but the wrong configuation setting was selected in the forums administration settings. As far as I know this isn't a issue that was present in a past, but I can't be for sure when it occured. However, it likely started around the same time as the major upgrade we did over a year ago.

I can now see why there was a misunderstanding between some of the members, the moderator and myself.

I have also modified the notification settings for all members. When someone is warned, an email will be sent to you AND a notification will be posted in the Notification section of your profile (the little button between the Messenager and Profile links).

Note, all members are required to keep the email associated with their forum account up-to-date and active.

Anyone that has been warned, suspended, banned or had a post or thread removed and or closed, is free to request an explanation from me. You can simply reply to the email that will be sent out with the warning, message me via the forum, email [email protected] or fill out the form at: http://mapleleafweb.com/contact

Thanks

Guest American Woman

Anyone that has been warned, suspended, banned or had a post or thread removed and or closed, is free to request an explanation from me. You can simply reply to the email that will be sent out with the warning, message me via the forum, email [email protected] or fill out the form at: http://mapleleafweb.com/contact

That's a nice change; and I certainly would have appreciated knowing that PMing the mod with concerns was a warning offense. Perhaps that should be put in the rules.

That's a nice change; and I certainly would have appreciated knowing that PMing the mod with concerns was a warning offense. Perhaps that should be put in the rules.

??? Explain what you mean please.

Wow...who knew ? That's why I never communicate with the mods by PM or e-mail. Can only lead to heartbreak. I don't monitor my member e-mail account very closely either, because they are never going to send me happy birthday wishes, if you know what I mean.

Guest American Woman

Wow...who knew ? That's why I never communicate with the mods by PM or e-mail. Can only lead to heartbreak. I don't monitor my member e-mail account very closely either, because they are never going to send me happy birthday wishes, if you know what I mean.

My intentions were sincere; I really was seeking clarification as to what is/isn't allowed - and explaining why it's difficult to know sometimes. I wouldn't have PM'd had I known that PMing the mod was considered 'responding in kind' to a thread and/or harassment. I've been a member here for 8 years and contacted the mods/admin about personal concerns just a couple of times in all those years. I had no idea it was against the rules.

Aren't warnings also sent to your in-box on MLW ?

The last three times I was suspended, the suspensions WERE the warnings.

At least I was told why, however trivial the offense (at least in my opinion). Others have complained that they weren't, and that their PMs asking why were ignored.

My last actual warning was in May of 2012 - and quite justifed, btw.

Instead of a bald notification "You're suspended 30 days for insulting the native council of wherever or against Quebecers" or something similar, a warning "Delete your insult against the native council and watch your tone" would have accomplished the same thing in terms of the tone of the board without pissing me off.

Edited by Argus