PMO paid for Duffy's fraud

Notice that we haven't heard anything from Wright? IF we did and he said it was him alone, would Canadians believe him because we know there's always someone else that goes down for any PM. Also, I can't believe that no lawyers were involved in this and Harper said if you do wrong then you need to go, does mean any of his MPs who do wrong and any senators in the cover-up? There's a double-standard with Harper.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice that we haven't heard anything from Wright? IF we did and he said it was him alone, would Canadians believe him because we know there's always someone else that goes down for any PM. Also, I can't believe that no lawyers were involved in this and Harper said if you do wrong then you need to go, does mean any of his MPs who do wrong and any senators in the cover-up? There's a double-standard with Harper.

It seems you have answered your own question.

Harper Conservative "due process" backroom dealing! What the... why there's now some suggestion a Senate vote won't be taken prior to the upcoming hoe-down convention in Calgary. Apparently, dissension in the Harper Conservative ranks has a real concern that the "expulsion vote" won't pass. Oh my!

This article addresses a key issue about Harper's appointment and Duffy's residency:

harper-admits-he-made-a-mistake-well-sort-of/

Harper appointed Duffy to the Senate to represent PEI. At that time, Harper didn't ask for proof that Duffy was a legal resident of PEI, and Harper was aware that Duffy had lived in Ottawa for many years.

Duffy claimed a principal residence in PEI to fulfill the conditions of Harper's appointment. His expenses were approved on that basis.

So ... did Harper make an illegal appointment?

Is Harper attempting to make Duffy (and Wright) the fall guy(s) for his own error?

I think so, and I think this whole charade of voting Duffy out of the Senate is a cover up of Harper's mistake, a political expediency for Harper.

If the vote goes through, is Harper then free to call for votes to remove (eg) all Liberal members of the Senate on some trumped up evidence or entrapment?

Dangerous ground.

Harper has made enemies of former sycophants.

He is now making more enemies within his own caucus, senators and MP's who disagree with his high-handed approach and cover up of his own culpability.

Edited by jacee

Good pick-up.....I have to admit being surprised to see that from the Huff-Post......

Duffy and friends could have pretended they were living on Mars for all anyone cares. The problem was that they used this lie, this claim to be living further away from Ottawa than they actually were, as a phony pretext for plunging their sticky fingers in to the Senate's travel and living expense cookie jar.

Duffy pretended to be living in PEI because otherwise, Harper's appointment of him to the Senate would be illegal. Harper's illegal senate appointment is not Duffy's error.

Partly yes it is. Duffy knew and was complicit in it as much as Harper would be.

Until it was politically expedient for Harper to claim innocence and skewer Duffy.

I think the outcomes of criminal investigations will be revealing.

Wallin skewered herself by claiming expenses for private travel from taxpayers. It appears that her residency is justifiable, but not travel.

Brazeau may have been under the same pressure as Duffy to claim residency in Quebec as Harper appointed him to represent Quebec, though he's lived in Ottawa for years. His personal behavjour and criminal charges skewered him, though he hasn't been convicted yet.

Harper skewered Duffy to save himself.

How are Senate votes "free" when there is a whip in the Upper Chamber for both party's?...

And what will the whip do if they don't vote the 'right' way? That's actually why I don't like this motion. It's a rather slippery slope.

This is what happens when you have a PM that controls the Speaker, GG, MP's and the senate. Just look at how many Tory MP's have left the party since 2006, how many have been in trouble with EC?? After watching this government govern, its no wonder voters are turned off, except voters in Alberta and to them it seems, Harper can do no wrong.

A quick glance through this thread suggests to me that it's a Team A vs Team B style argument.

Modern democracy has already moved on.... In the next federal election, Harper will create a false dichotomy, a wedge issue, and create/force voters into teams to exploit this Team A and Team B instinct.

Edited by August1991

My point is, the vote is still as free as it always was.

Which is not free, but voting the party line.

Harper finds ways to punish those who deviate.

However, it appears that there are enough Conservative senators objecting that some stepping back may occur ... or Harper may threaten them in caucus and get them back in line.

Rumours have it, it will not be whipped. And it seems the senate it self can do what it wants to these people. If the senate believes they did wrong they can act, can't they?? And now with the libs backing the senators, the optics will not be good. Harper about 2 moves ahead of everyone else.

Harper Conservative "due process" backroom dealing! What the... why there's now some suggestion a Senate vote won't be taken prior to the upcoming hoe-down convention in Calgary. Apparently, dissension in the Harper Conservative ranks has a real concern that the "expulsion vote" won't pass. Oh my!

Harper about 2 moves ahead of everyone else.

ya ya, he's too cool for school! :lol: So... PIK... that convention thingee is so ill timed! What do you think... no vote... or a watered-down compromise? The ducks have to be lined up soon... very soon... as Senator's will be catching planes to Calgary in short order! Can the master strategist pull it off, hey PIK?

Conservative senators debate lesser penalty than suspensions despite Harper's orders --- Although the PMO told them to ‘stop delaying,’ the Conservative Senate caucus will meet Monday to discuss amending motions that would suspend the senators

Rumours have it, it will not be whipped. And it seems the senate it self can do what it wants to these people. If the senate believes they did wrong they can act, can't they?? And now with the libs backing the senators, the optics will not be good. Harper about 2 moves ahead of everyone else.

I think they should modify it, only suspend them for a year instead of two, a compromise of sorts. You'd think this was total expulsion but it isn't, it's only a suspension.