Kairos

PIK

I see my man Kairos is banned , I was watching what he posts and I don' t understand, can we know why fellow posters get banned?

How do you know he was banned?

He was kind of left of centre, wasn't he?

• 3 weeks later...

How can anyone be upset by a MP video? I've posted a couple myself.

One of them, I can see posting a lot, with the crowd on here being what it is. ;)

Was it the silly walks that did it? Or Spiny Norman?

He posted "Stephen Harper and the Canadian Conservatives work hard to compensate Canada by adding the word 'Armed' to 'Canadian Forces."

An exciting video clip of the event:

http://www.canada.com/Canadian+Forces+quietly+name/8085657/story.html

The video clip was from the Python episode: "Man's Identity Crisis in the Latter Half of the 20th century."

I bookmarked it because it was so funny.

Edited by Charon

Some of the warning points I got were for nothing. It is almost unconstitutional. I think memebers should be able to review the moderators at times to make sure they are not doing this for political purposes.

Some of the warning points I got were for nothing. It is almost unconstitutional. I think memebers should be able to review the moderators at times to make sure they are not doing this for political purposes.

You have no rights at all here.

If you dont like the mods well...........the door is ------------------------> that way.

That real nice guyser, nice dictatorship you and the boys have going here.

You have no rights at all here.

If you dont like the mods well...........the door is ------------------------> that way.

That real nice guyser, nice dictatorship you and the boys have going here.

Let me guess....You put in exactly the same dollar amount as I did to produce and grow this site. Right?

You have exactly the same rights as I do here at MLW .....which is none. Right?

So...Dictator? Nice grasp of nothing.

How do you know there arent women running this site? Maybe Greg is short for Gregorina ?

Huh?...Huh?...

If gregorina is calling herself greg, I would hate to meet her in a bar fight. And this is not the only site I visit, just the only one that has such expression killing rules. But yet you can use what ever swear words you can, but don't refer to a group of people as dimwits.

Let me guess....You put in exactly the same dollar amount as I did to produce and grow this site. Right?

You have exactly the same rights as I do here at MLW .....which is none. Right?

So...Dictator? Nice grasp of nothing.

How do you know there arent women running this site? Maybe Greg is short for Gregorina ?

Huh?...Huh?...

If gregorina is calling herself greg, I would hate to meet her in a bar fight. And this is not the only site I visit, just the only one that has such expression killing rules. But yet you can use what ever swear words you can, but don't refer to a group of people as dimwits.

Just to clarify, swearing isn't permitted. Perhaps the biggest error people make is that every post is reviewed by the moderators. But they don't have time.

The reason why this site is more focused on discussions than others is that posters here prefer to have that. You can sully your argument with insults on almost any web board on the planet, so there's something different here.

This isn't a democracy. It's a privately-owned message board.

You have the constitutional right to express yourself, but you don't have the constitutional right to express yourself on Greg's forum. When you joined Greg's club, you agreed to accept the club's rules.

-k

You have the constitutional right to express yourself, but you don't have the constitutional right to express yourself on Greg's forum. When you joined Greg's club, you agreed to accept the club's rules.

-k

I can't for the life of me understand why people don't get this. I've disagreed with warnings they've given me and decisions they've made, but at the end of the day it's not my forum.

Edited by cybercoma

-k

I think the question here is not really about whether we have a constitutional right to express ourselves in a privately-run forum.

This is a forum. It needs posters....and traffic.

The question is, what kind of a forum does the owner want it to be? It's his forum, therefore it is his decision that will ultimately count.

The decision will be made by the owner - just like any private businesses. Sometimes a business owner will just have to sit down and think where he wants to take it. Some businesses have to re-vamp to remain relevant. Like it or not, there are competitions out there.

How about those who frequent forums? What attracts you to a forum?

I think, businesses telling their clients to take it or leave it, may not be such a good idea in the long run. Same with rudeness to clients. Once you lost the edge, it's harder to gain it back.

The business owner's decision though, will of course have an impact on his investment. Whether good or bad, time will tell. We all care about MLF - at least I do - thus we have to be honest with our opinion.

There is no denying the amount of time - energy and money - invested on this site.

That should be incentive enough to take matters seriously.

Edited by betsy

.The question is, what kind of a forum does the owner want it to be? It's his forum, therefore it is his decision that will ultimately count.

I don't think it\s much of a question. I think the owners have made it clear what kind of forum they want and when people go against that, they get suspended. If people don't want to get suspended, they should play nice and respect others. It's the Christian way, and it makes for a better society here. I don't think that those who were suspended for being rude have a self-righteous leg to stand on.

The canadian way is free speech, they at least should take down the maple leaf if that is not the type of forum they want to run.

I don't think it\s much of a question. I think the owners have made it clear what kind of forum they want and when people go against that, they get suspended. If people don't want to get suspended, they should play nice and respect others. It's the Christian way, and it makes for a better society here. I don't think that those who were suspended for being rude have a self-righteous leg to stand on.

Well Canada isn't all about Free Speech. Hate Speech is illegal.

I think the mods are trying to avoid people who always go to personal attacks, which has become the hallmark of interweb discussions.

I do disagree with being sent to the Penalty Box for using creative ways to describe the Ontario Liberal Party. But them's the breaks and I won't do that anymore.

• Forum Admin

Kimmy's right, this forum isn't operated by the Federal or Provincial Government (nor has there ever been any Fed or Prov funding), so just about anything we do on here can't be considered "unconstitutional".

I've been running this forum since 2000 - I think if I was going to secretly manipulate the board to promote a particular partisan agenda, it should have been obvious by now - don't you think?

I believe the forum has a great mix of ideas and ideologies (and even partisanship). I have the upmost confidence in Charles AND Micheal.

If you get banned from these forums, it is because you repeatedly ignored warnings for breaking the clealy defined rules. It's as simple as that.

• Forum Admin

I think, businesses telling their clients to take it or leave it, may not be such a good idea in the long run. Same with rudeness to clients. Once you lost the edge, it's harder to gain it back.

I don't think comparing this website to a business is the best analogy -- as we don't sell anything; and no one here is a customer.

It might be more apt to consider this like a private park. So long as everyone is polite and respectful, you can use the park to do whatever you like.

But if you repeatedly break the stated rules of the park, you will be asked to leave.

Also, I may have used the "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude in the past, but ONLY in the context of explaining the rules and guidelines of the forums AND only directed at those who either were complaining or breaking the rules.

Also, I may have used the "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude in the past, but ONLY in the context of explaining the rules and guidelines of the forums AND only directed at those who either were complaining or breaking the rules.

Just for the record. I was not referring to you about the "take-it-or-leave-it" statement....I don't even recall that you'd taken that attitude in the past.

My post was a reaction from what I've read on this thread.

Edited by betsy

• Forum Admin

My post was a reaction from what I've read on this thread.

Of course, I didn't mean to imply that you were accusing me of that attitude!

I just saw an opportuntity to explain myself and my approach to moderation.

Thanks!

Guest Kenneth

Well Canada isn't all about Free Speech. Hate Speech is illegal.

I think the mods are trying to avoid people who always go to personal attacks, which has become the hallmark of interweb discussions.

I do disagree with being sent to the Penalty Box for using creative ways to describe the Ontario Liberal Party. But them's the breaks and I won't do that anymore.

"Hate speech" was illegal in Nazi Germany, too.