Margaret Thatcher 1925-2013

It really beats the hell out of me how many Finnish youngsters, many of whom weren't even born before Nov 1990 when Maggie resigned, take such delight in her death. Just reading the facebook-profiles.

Yeah I saw quite a few Thatcher hating posts on FB too. Not sure what's up with that.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her legacy is of public division,private selfishness and a cult of greed,which together shackle far more of the human spirit than they ever set free.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-editorial

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

Ya that's funny,because that's how the white people got the land in South Africa and many other parts of the world in the first place.

I guess when you are right,there are laws that apply to you,and another set of laws that apply to other non whites!

WWWTT

Yeah, like I said, I guess it would have served her right. In the eyes of some, anyway.

Edited by bcsapper

Yes, one wonders how such a horrible person could go from opposition to winning three majorities.

It was the times.

She got lucky with Argentina that made her look like a hero.

And she rode the booming world economy for a short period.

But in the end even her own party couldn't throw her under the bus fast enough!

She was against labor,gay rights and human rights.

She was all ok with military coups,and fascist dictators killing thousands of people.

I have even read she once called Nelson Mandela a "terrorist"

WWWTT

It was the times.

She got lucky with Argentina that made her look like a hero.

And she rode the booming world economy for a short period.

But in the end even her own party couldn't throw her under the bus fast enough!

She was against labor,gay rights and human rights.

She was all ok with military coups,and fascist dictators killing thousands of people.

I have even read she once called Nelson Mandela a "terrorist"

WWWTT

Ya, it was all luck. That must be it.

Here is David Corn, bursting the bubble of those who either don't know what they're supporting or support ugly things in the world:

"Thatcher was no consensus builder; she was divisive. She set out to crush unions, privatize, undercut the social safety net (where she could), and push free-market policies that led to the deregulatory nightmares of the future. (Just watch Billy Elliot—or listen to the Clash.) She joined with Reagan in support of torturers and human rights abusers around the globe, as long as these folks were opposed to the Soviets. She called Nelson Mandela a "terrorist" and would not join the worldwide crusade against the racist apartheid regime of South Africa. (In 2006, Conservative Party leader David Cameron felt obliged to disown Thatcher's and his party's previous opposition to Mandela and his African National Congress.) She supported Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. Her war in the Falklands struck many as an orchestrated stunt, not an act of necessity—though some have seen that military action as a noble blow against Argentina's fascist junta (which the Reagan administration was supporting)."

Link

What she believed could mean anything in light of a certain cohort of her's who often consulted an astrologer.

Wasn't Thatcher a devout Randian? She would have made a good one in any case.

Not sure what a Randian is, but she inherited a mess and completely turned around a county in decline, as did Reagan from his failing predecessor.

Ya, it was all luck. That must be it.

Yep pretty much a big chunk of her success in my opinion was just that.

Not to mention that Britain took a very hard hit several years ago to deregulation that she was coronated with ushering in!

WWWTT

Yep pretty much a big chunk of her success in my opinion was just that.

Not to mention that Britain took a very hard hit several years ago to deregulation that she was coronated with ushering in!

WWWTT

Complete nonsense. Britain took a hard hit because they ran up way too much debt. Stop trying to rewrite history.

Complete nonsense. Britain took a hard hit because they ran up way too much debt. Stop trying to rewrite history.

Thatcher caused the real estate collapse, the North Korean Crisis, Bird Flu, the Russian meteor, the extinction of dinosaurs, the....

Oh wait...did Harper cause the Russian meteor?

:P