Rob Ford, mayor of Toronto UPDATES

WWWTT

Good lord indeed. I'm not sure how much more the story can be torqued, I guess it depends on how many more skeletons we can coax out of Fords closet and/or how big our imagination is. Maybe someone can find a picture of him going down on some black eyed bulgy headed alien in a secret lab in Roswell.

Everytime we've thought we've hit rock bottom, there's another layer of crap. To imply as you have that this is the media's spin requires some, shall we say, creative thinking.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to set Bubber off any more than he already is.

I'm not set off. I'm just fully enjoying watching Ford Nation turn into a bunch of crying victims because they were stupid enough to fall under the charismatic spell of their leader. :lol: Edited by BubberMiley

I'm not set off. I'm just fully enjoying watching Ford Nation turn into a bunch of crying victims because they were stupid enough to fall under the charismatic spell of their leader. :lol:

Is that what's causing you to look for inference into every little comment that is made and trying to turn it into something.

And who is this "ford nation" bunch you talk about? Ford isn't my leader so I guess I'm out.

The hyenas have brought him down and are now proceeding to feast, every word he utters from this point forward is just another meal.

This is the media's fault??? LOL That's just ridiculous. There is one man who is the author of Ford's demise...

Explain.

The whole story started with an unsubstantiated claim that two reporters saw Ford smoking crack in a video. It is still uncertain what is exactly on the video, but the claim must have enough validity to force Rob to come clean and admit to smoking crack. Ford is now claiming that a former female staffer lied when lodging an accusation against him about certain sexual advance he made. Who knows where this may lead. Maybe Ford is a tweakin, smokin, womanizing drunk who goes around the office all day regailing his female coworkers with his appetite for pie, or maybe this is what could be referred to as throwing gasoline on a fire (or inferno in this case).

Given the level of intolerance these days for any kind of sexual misconduct in the workplace, the fact that this just happens to be coming out in the middle of a public flogging of Ford does give some feeling for skeptacism, or at least further investigation. It is surprising that an accustaion like this would not have been brought out before now. Of course, I was a bit surprised by the revelation that the mayor smokes crack, I guess anything is possible with this guy.

Edited by Spiderfish

Their claim was unsubstantiated, ie. no video.

Their claim was that they saw a video, just as the police testimony includes claims from someone who saw him snort coke in a restaurant. You can attack people for saying what they saw with their own eyes, but all you're doing is helping to obscure the truth.

Their claim was that they saw a video, just as the police testimony includes claims from someone who saw him snort coke in a restaurant. You can attack people for saying what they saw with their own eyes, but all you're doing is helping to obscure the truth.

There likely is a video. I’m sure the reporters likely saw a video that shows exactly what they claim. My certainty that I believe their story does not substantiate their claim. Rob Ford’s own admission of crack smoking doesn’t even substantiate their claim, but it does lend great support to it. At this point the video is completely irrelevant anyhow, so not sure what you’re point is.

At this point the video is completely irrelevant anyhow, so not sure what you’re point is.

My point is they gave firsthand eyewitness testimony of what they saw and they told the truth. Those who think they should have done anything different are trying to obscure the truth because the truth is very, very embarassing for them.

My point is they gave firsthand eyewitness testimony of what they saw and they told the truth.

How do you know they were telling the truth? Their firsthand eyewitness testimony (or claim) also happened to be an accustation. You can't fault people for wanting some substantiation to the story, only a vigilante would want otherwise.

How is that relevant?

You seemed to insinuate that the fact Ford was elected gave him a special legitimacy and status.

I don't see what it matters he was elected. Elected leaders are frequently brought down by other elected bodies. Though they're not directly elected, prime ministers are elected and can be voted out by the popularly elected House of Commons or legislature. US presidents elected by the Electoral College can be removed by the popularly elected Congress. So, it's hardly bizarre for the elected Toronto City Council to pass only motions asking the Mayor to resign. Frankly, I can't perceive why council shouldn't have the power to remove a mayor.

[ed.: c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

How do you know they were telling the truth?

Nobody could at that time be 100% certain they were telling the truth. But it was safe to be 99% certain because we assume most people who appear rational are rational and no rational person would risk their careers lying about a bombshell story like that. Additionally, it's irrational to believe three media people with two different outlets in two different countries conspired to disseminate a lie like that.

[ed: c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

You can't fault people for wanting some substantiation to the story, only a vigilante would want otherwise.

Of course they were telling the truth. Nobody is questioning that anymore.

So eyewitness testimony without a video record is unacceptable to you? You're saying they shouldn't have told anyone what they saw? I think most reasonable people would consider that to be irresponsible.