The US, gun violence, and gun control

Thanks...I try my best. We get lots of traffic after any disaster in the "States". Canada is just more boring that way, except for when that mall collapsed earlier this year or the assassination attempt in Quebec.

If violence is what you find "exciting" and what you want/need.Then you got issues!

WWWTT

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If public safety is your concern there are many avenues within which you efforts could make more difference then crusading for changes that won't happen. Then again if your really just a gun hater, just because you're a gun hater, then carry on, of course it won't make your arguments any more valid or reasonable.

Serously, why aren't you crusading aginst drinking? Or speeding?

Edited by gunrutz

If public safety is your concern there are many avenues within which you efforts could make more difference then crusading for changes that won't happen. Then again if your really just a gun hater, just because you're a gun hater, then carry on, of course it won't make your arguments any more valid or reasonable.

Yet you didn't challenge any of the arguments in this thread for stricter gun control, so how are they invalid or unreasonable?

Firearms are one of the worst and most socially destructive human inventions in the history of human civilization, so yes I hate guns.

So I guess for you: fun > human lives

Guest American Woman

So I guess for you: fun > human lives

That's a rather reprehensible deduction. Many things that people do for "fun" present a certain element of danger. Does that mean they should all be banned? And if one does not support banning all such activities, does that mean for them fun > human lives?

If public safety is your concern there are many avenues within which you efforts could make more difference then crusading for changes that won't happen.

The problem is that the gun advocates refuse to offer up any compromises or solutions. They dig their heels in and resist any sort of constructive changes. So they're going to be left out in the cold when the changes come, if they're not willing to come to the table.

That's a rather reprehensible deduction. Many things that people do for "fun" present a certain element of danger. Does that mean they should all be banned? And if one does not support banning all such activities, does that mean for them fun > human lives?

Do you really not see a difference between the danger in skydiving and walking into an elementary school and slaughtering dozens of frightened little children?

Guest Derek L

The problem is that the gun advocates refuse to offer up any compromises or solutions. They dig their heels in and resist any sort of constructive changes. So they're going to be left out in the cold when the changes come, if they're not willing to come to the table.

Come and get them.......

Come and get them.......

It's this kind of thing that makes gun-owners look like idiots. There's a crapload of guns out there, giving people that would do harm by shooting up schools easier access to more efficient tools for killing and here we're subjected to moronic threats from gun zealots.

That's a slippery slope fallacious argument.

First, I'm not saying that all gun use should be banned, just highly regulated (want to hunt? maybe even shoot a handgun? Go to the police station and pick up your gun and then drop it back off). Most other dangerous leisure activities also don't pose the threat to other people's lives that guns do. Most guns are designed to kill humans, or larger-than-human animals and thus capable of killing humans as well. For assault rifles and handguns etc., they have no other purpose other than to kill humans as efficiently as possible. Not many other leisure activities function around the purpose of killing humans. Motorcycles and airplanes can kill other people, but that's not their express purpose.

Society should factor the weight measuring the leisure activity and its purpose to the risk to other human lives. ie: Hunting rifles have less of a purpose to kill humans and less of an ability to kill humans in large numbers than do handguns & automatic guns, so restrictions should be tighter for handguns/assault weapons than hunting rifles.

Guest Derek L

It's this kind of thing that makes gun-owners look like idiots. There's a crapload of guns out there, giving people that would do harm by shooting up schools easier access to more efficient tools for killing and here we're subjected to moronic threats from gun zealots.

Wasn’t that in response to you “threat” of leaving a monolithic group of “gun owners” out in the cold, in a thread discussing a mentally ill person, to whom was rejected from legally owning a gun, killing a classroom of children……….You don’t see why “gun owners” take a unabridged position to calls made by people like you who categorize us with people that shoot up classrooms, their family and law enforcement?

Agreed with Cybercoma. Above is case in point, isn't it? You're insinuating you'll start murdering people with your guns if authorities come to confiscate them? Can't do that with rubber spatulas.

No...the challenge is a political reality, at least in the U.S. I don't give a crap what you in Canada, but just try and "confiscate" America's firearms. It will not be pretty.

Guest Derek L

No...the challenge is a political reality, at least in the U.S. I don't give a crap what you in Canada, but just try and "confiscate" America's firearms. It will not be pretty.

Or realistic...........Wasn’t it Jefferson that suggested a revolution could be a good thing every couple of generations wink.png

Wasn’t that in response to you “threat” of leaving a monolithic group of “gun owners” out in the cold, in a thread discussing a mentally ill person, to whom was rejected from legally owning a gun, killing a classroom of children……….You don’t see why “gun owners” take a unabridged position to calls made by people like you who categorize us with people that shoot up classrooms, their family and law enforcement?

It wasn't a threat. It's exactly what's going to happen when legislation ends up being drafted if gun zealots continue on the way that they are.

Guest Derek L

From what I've read, Hitler made sure he disarmed the Jews before he went after them.

It’s kind of alarming when people like Cybercoma lump together a monolithic group of people, well mandating what they can and can not do without their input (leaving them in the cold) all for the actions of a tiny minority, and in the case of the OP, one solitary mentally unstable man…………

DerekL forgets what country he lives in! NRA silly threats.... Jefferson quotes...

I have to agree with the other posters.... Your assinine threats of revolution and shooting people really give responsible gun owners a bad name. And someone wondered why anyone would consider you an irresponsible gun owner??? LOL

It’s kind of alarming when people like Cybercoma lump together a monolithic group of people, well mandating what they can and can not do without their input (leaving them in the cold) all for the actions of a tiny minority, and in the case of the OP, one solitary mentally unstable man…………

You'd like to shoot him for that? A revolution maybe?

From what I've read, Hitler made sure he disarmed the Jews before he went after them.

Irrelevant and a straw man argument. I don't know anyone who wants nazi policies on anything. Nice try to you and DerekL for introducing silly extremes into the debate.

Guest Derek L

DerekL forgets what country he lives in! NRA silly threats.... Jefferson quotes...

I have to agree with the other posters.... Your assinine threats of revolution and shooting people really give responsible gun owners a bad name. And someone wondered why anyone would consider you an irresponsible gun owner??? LOL

Are we not talking about gun control in the United States?

And please highlight were I threatened to shoot someone and/or start a revolution? huh.png