Meaning of Christmas becoming redundant?

Sleipnir

Is there a word you want me to greet people with?

I've no problem with you greeting with Merry Christmas....after all, that's what it is.

I was only surprise to see you still referring to that word, considering your strong stance against Christianity....and the fact that secularists have been using "Happy Holidays" in lieu of it. In fact, there's not many X'mas cards that use Merry Christmas anymore.

Edited by betsy

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Happy Holidays" is a misguided attempt by PC hippies to avoid offense.

Has anyone ever met a non Christian who was offended by "Merry Christmas"?

A lady I was talking to told me that a cashier greeted a customer with Merry Christmas, and the customer gave the cashier a hard look and didn't answer back.

We both agreed that we greet with Merry X'mas anyway....if they don't like it, that's their problem.

A lady I was talking to told me that a cashier greeted a customer with Merry Christmas, and the customer gave the cashier a hard look and didn't answer back.

We both agreed that we greet with Merry X'mas anyway....if they don't like it, that's their problem.

Probably a PC hippy.

I was only surprise to see you still referring to that word, considering your strong stance against Christianity....and the fact that secularists have been using "Happy Holidays" in lieu of it. In fact, there's not many X'mas cards that use Merry Christmas anymore.

lol I'm not against Christianity, don't kid yourself. I was raise as a christian, but lately (couple years ago) I've developed my own independent thinking on the concept of spirituality.

Edited by Sleipnir

I like to think that the Christmas season can mean a number of things to a number of people.

About the shopping and spending, I only see that as a problem to people who have self control issues otherwise it's business as usual.

To Christians it's the day that Jesus's birth is celebrated not that he was actually born this day.

To most people however it's just a secular holiday and an opportunity to get together with friends and family and it's a magical time for children. Gifts are often given and I don't see any harm in this myself. I also don't see what benefit it is to rob children of the magic of Christmas just to fulfill someone's own political ideology. Just seems selfish to me.

Christmas is nice with the Christmas trees and the lights and all the Christmas movies and animated specials on. I like to think this time of year would make everyone be a little nicer to their neighbors. Even if just for a little while.

Maybe because "Happy Holidays" is more accurate, since it encompasses Christmas, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, and any other celebrations that occur at the end/beginning of the year.

I don't understand people getting bent about someone saying "Happy Holidays," since as matter of fact there are a number of holidays occurring at the same time.

Maybe because "Happy Holidays" is more accurate, since it encompasses Christmas, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, and any other celebrations that occur at the end/beginning of the year.

I think Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, Happy Hanukkah, etc, are all perfectly fine things to say by themselves. One can talk about all of the holidays, or one may emphasize just one in particular. Neither is offensive in the slightest. As an atheist, I have nothing against being wished a Merry Christmas, even though I do not associate any spiritual significance with that date, nor do I have anything against wishing others a Merry Christmas.

Edited by Bonam

Same here. I couldn't care less which one people use. I find people getting uptight about Happy Holidays just as bad as people getting uptight about Merry Christmas. Get over yourselves.

I don't know of anyone that gets uptight about someone saying "Happy Holidays". What people do get uptight about is if they say "Merry Christmas" but are criticized for saying so, lectured on it not being sufficiently inclusive, and "encouraged" to use "Happy Holidays" instead. And that is completely fine to get "uptight" about, since it's just another small example of the battle between political correctness and free speech.

I get that the message is for all humans but my point is that there's no point in trying to bridge faith and reason.
Does that apply to any unsupported belief, or at least any widespread, unsupported belief? Should society cease squashing belief in astrology, homeopathy, ESP, etc. just because people have FAITH in it? Should we really celebrate strong unsupported beliefs?

I don't know of anyone that gets uptight about someone saying "Happy Holidays". What people do get uptight about is if they say "Merry Christmas" but are criticized for saying so, lectured on it not being sufficiently inclusive, and "encouraged" to use "Happy Holidays" instead. And that is completely fine to get "uptight" about, since it's just another small example of the battle between political correctness and free speech.

People in this thread have been getting uptight about it.

I like to think that the Christmas season can mean a number of things to a number of people.

About the shopping and spending, I only see that as a problem to people who have self control issues otherwise it's business as usual.

To Christians it's the day that Jesus's birth is celebrated not that he was actually born this day.

To most people however it's just a secular holiday and an opportunity to get together with friends and family and it's a magical time for children. Gifts are often given and I don't see any harm in this myself. I also don't see what benefit it is to rob children of the magic of Christmas just to fulfill someone's own political ideology. Just seems selfish to me.

Christmas is nice with the Christmas trees and the lights and all the Christmas movies and animated specials on. I like to think this time of year would make everyone be a little nicer to their neighbors. Even if just for a little while.

A thought-provoking sermon yesterday on gift-giving. Whose birthday do we celebrate on Christmas day? Jesus.

When we buy and give out gifts to everyone around us, do we spend the same amount (time, effort, money) on the gift we offer to Jesus?

Yes, the tree and Santa Claus are more for children. The only big danger to that (from a Christian perspective) is that children - from Christian families - are being taught to put so much on those things, instead of the real reason why we celebrate Christmas.

A child is most likely to know Santa Claus than he'd know about Jesus, if he even got introduced to Jesus in the early years. It also seem to emphasize the "receiving" part instead of the joy of giving.

And let's face it.....is one gift under the tree enough to a child? There's also the issue of, "greed."

When I used to run the daycare....after the holidays, it's almost like a "brag time" who got the most gifts, the coolest gift, the most expensive gift among the older ones.

It gets uglier with children of divorced or split-up couples. There's the competition between the former couple - to shower the child with gifts that elevates their esteem in their child's eyes, and affection. The child learns - and believe me, older ones know - how to capitalize on this occasion.

Sadly, the tree and Santa are nothing more than convenient marketing tools by savvy corporations, that also corrupt young minds through the deviousness by some parents (competing with the ex-spouse).....the gullibility or naiveness of the parents.

I'm not blasting parents. It's so easy to get caught up in materialism when you're bombarded by it, and you are pressured into it. Who'd want their child to look "pathetic" when he's asked what he got for Christmas?

But on the other hand, they (Christians) ought to know and teach and show their children all about Christian values. It starts at home. With the parents.

Edited by betsy

Aside from corporations (commercial or otherwise) being encouraged to be inclusive because of course everyone isn't a Christian, I doubt anyone has ever heard an ear full for saying Merry Christmas.

It's just more of this false "War on Christmas" rhetoric as far as I am concerned...

Aside from corporations (commercial or otherwise) being encouraged to be inclusive because of course everyone isn't a Christian, I doubt anyone has ever heard an ear full for saying Merry Christmas.

It's just more of this false "War on Christmas" rhetoric as far as I am concerned...

I agree. In my experience you are more likely to get an earful for saying "Happy Holidays".

Should society cease squashing belief in astrology, homeopathy, ESP, etc. just because people have FAITH in it?

I'm all in favour of cessation squashing... uh... what ? blink.png

Actually, 'society' 'should' do what 'society' 'does'. There's no social rule on how to deal with beliefs of any kind. I would say that the polite thing to do is to be as politely enthusiastic as the adherent to the belief is, when confronted with it. You have the right to engage, politely disagree and so on.

I just smile and nod.

Should we really celebrate strong unsupported beliefs?

There's no rule. You have been set free.

apparently there are christians offended by "happy holidays"...society/government needs to be secular... Edited by wyly

It's not offensive, it's just silly. You're not putting trees in your house with lights on them celebrating Saturnalia or Kwanza.

I know Christmas, in its current form, isn't terribly Christmas but I don't think you're average person is actually offended by being told Merry Christmas.