What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

This guy is amazing. I have all his albums.

At least Harper sticks to classic rock. So far we have seen nothing from the other guys. I guess they don't play any instruments.

Justin might be good for some Celine Dion impressions. As for that NDP guy, I just dunno. He doesn't look all that hip to me. Probably a Walter Ostanek polka fan...

Well, if I am going to be indulgent I might as well post another. I particularly liked the video editing. They show that a low budget can be offset with creativity.

This is a Beduoin Soundclash cover.

Solid cover and vid. Hopefully creative YouTube projects like this will lead to success, like it has for acts like Walk Off The Earth.

Guest Derek L

Going to see Corb next month at the PNE (The wife and I saw him during the 2010 games up in Whistler) and loved his live shows....A couple songs from his newest album:

And

Truly unique and talented Canadian artist

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Derek L

Great songs! Thanks for posting. I had never heard of Corb Lund before. I'm going to see Mr. Mumford and his various sons in a couple weeks. Can't wait...I never get tired of those lads.

My eldest loves Mumford & Sons..........We all love Corb and the Hurtin Albertans though.......If he's new to you, I'd say it would be worth getting all of his albums......I'd liken his works to classic country & western, a touch of Canadian folk with a pinch of punk rock

Some stuff off his older albums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le-3MIBxQTw

Alabama Shakes debut album Boys and Girls. Great first outing, a classic mix of blues and rock with a healthy dose of soul thrown in. These guys restore my faith in good new music. I liked it so much that I bought the album and CD. Of course the vinyl sounds better but even the CD sounds great. Good music and very good recording combined.

Take It On Faith, by Matt Mays:

(warning, this video takes a disturbing and rather gory turn. I'm honestly not sure what's up with that. But I do like the song.)

The location in this video with the painted landscape is actually a real place! I was there in person when I was just a kimlet. In south-eastern California, there is a place called "Slab City" where there are concrete slabs that were once upon a time part of a US Army base. The base and the buildings are gone, but the concrete foundations remain. And these concrete slabs are now home to squatters, "boon-dockers", RVers, "off-grid" survivalists, burned out hippies, and all kinds of colorful characters. One of the most colorful is a religious fanatic who has painted an entire hill with bright colors and Bible verses... it almost looks like something from a Dr Seuss book. This hill is known as "Salvation Mountain", and it's the setting for some of the scenes in this video. It was neat watching this and suddenly realizing, "hey, I know that place!"

-k

More Matt Mays:

(at least in this video, nobody gets mauled to death by wolves.)

I don't know why this woman is sad. She is gorgeous and she has a '69 Charger. The world is her oyster.

-k

Kimmy: I've been working late on an online course listening to Matt Mays and loving it!!! Thanks. I remember songs like Tall Trees from a few years back but I never really explored his stuff. Now currently addicted.

Squid: At the risk of being deported, I always hated Rush. Something about Geddy's voice just bothers me. Totally aware that I am a minority in that belief though.

Dog: That is one hot fiddler!

I've seen RUSH twice now and great shows both times.

The Clockwork Angels tour is very different as they have an 8 peice string section with them. First time ANYONE other than the 3 have been on stage performing with them.

Manhattan Project was much more full with the live strings, the impact compared to the other time with no strings was quite intense.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this guy yet. Or am I the only one around here who loves the blues? He's kept company with the best of the best, plays a twelve string slide like nobodies business and really knows how to wear a hat. Just watch his finger work, it really is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW08Rc802MQ