What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

I saw this band perform on David Letterman a few weeks back. The band is 'Future Islands' and they are pretty good. The singer is priceless, you have to watch his dance moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c

i need to bump this. I swear. You wont regret it.

Here's a staple of Canadian classic-rock radio, "I Do Crap" by Chad Kroeger.

Hey waitaminit, that wasn't the Chad Kroeger video. Oh well.

This is actually kind of like a 3-minute mini-documentary about night life in the instantly connected age. Kind of like Saturday Night Fever was for the 1970s or Night At The Roxbury for the early 1990s.

-k

{"there is no vodka at this table. do you know anybody else here?"}

"When The Man Comes Around" is one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs. It was featured in a recent episode of "The Blacklist" TV show, providing the soundtrack as Reddington makes a series of deadly visits to people who participated in a plot against him. It was also featured a few years ago in a chilling scene in "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" TV show, in which a doomed SWAT team wages a hopeless firefight against a foe they can't stop.

It's one of the last songs Cash recorded, and was released just a year before he died. It's full of Biblical imagery, and one must imagine that his own mortality was on his mind as he penned this. I am not religious, but this always puts shivers up my spine. I think it's the piano. Not very many songs use the bottom octave of a grand piano... this one does, and those deep notes are just glorious.

Who wouldn't want more Cash!

Everybody's familiar with Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails "Hurt", which became better known than the original. A few years earlier, Cash recorded a cover version of "Rusty Cage" by Soundgarden. The Cash version sounds nothing like the Soundgarden one... but I like it a lot better.

-k

Who wouldn't want more Cash!

Everybody's familiar with Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails "Hurt", which became better known than the original. A few years earlier, Cash recorded a cover version of "Rusty Cage" by Soundgarden. The Cash version sounds nothing like the Soundgarden one... but I like it a lot better.

-k

Though, I don't like the Cash version of Hurt of Rusty Cage better than the originals I still love how he makes almost every cover song his...and really the same. Here are two of my favourite Cash covers.

Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer cover Marley's Redemption Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz8_H5m6ymA

Johnny Cash covers In My Life.

i need to bump this. I swear. You wont regret it.

I was kind of "meh" the first time I listened to it, but it sort of stuck in my head afterward and it kind of grew on me. I think I was initially put off by some of the vocalist's overdramatic stylings (the couple of times where he kind of growls the words out).

Kimmy, The Black Keys released their new song 'Fever.' Here's an audio-only video.

Cool! I like it. Personally, I think the Black Keys are the best thing to hit the mainstream in quite a while.

Might not be your style. But been working on some other tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/openheartmachine-ohm/under-openheartmachine

That's very cool, Gost!

-k

Nice work GH!

Thanks to you and kimmy... I've been producing for almost a decade now and still I am learning new things along the way. I am always working on more. Out of 10-20 tracks I try, one might make it to the finish line. My library is up on the soundcloud. Most are avail for download. (Shameless plug)

I just picked up the new Johnny Cash CD last weekend, Out Among The Stars. Haven't listened to it yet but I will on Friday when I can relax and give it a proper listen. There are a couple of songs with June Carter Cash and Waylon Jennings on it. I must admit I'm more than a little curious, thirteen new songs by Johnny. Apparently the Sony archives contain a lot more of his previously unreleased work as well as a lot of never before seen photos and video.

Here's a staple of Canadian classic-rock radio, "I Do Crap" by Chad Kroeger.

Hey waitaminit, that wasn't the Chad Kroeger video. Oh well.

This is actually kind of like a 3-minute mini-documentary about night life in the instantly connected age. Kind of like Saturday Night Fever was for the 1970s or Night At The Roxbury for the early 1990s.

-k

{"there is no vodka at this table. do you know anybody else here?"}

Why would you post this Kimmy? It's one of the most annoying songs ever created. I've heard it on pop radio before. I want to slit my wrists.

This bullshit has 43 million views on Youtube. I realize it's mocking these types of girls but that doesn't make it less annoying lol

Why would you post this Kimmy? It's one of the most annoying songs ever created. I've heard it on pop radio before. I want to slit my wrists.

This bullshit has 43 million views on Youtube. I realize it's mocking these types of girls but that doesn't make it less annoying lol

Because it made me laugh. :)

-k

New track from Metallica, a cover medley of songs from the late metal master Ronnie James Dio.

The first few minutes are meh, but start at the 4:20 minute mark and their cover of "Kill the King" is one of the best Metallica songs since the Black Album IMO. The solos are crazy! Can't stop listening!!

Outstanding! I'm addicted to this medley today...thanks for posting.

New track from Metallica, a cover medley of songs from the late metal master Ronnie James Dio.

The first few minutes are meh, but start at the 4:20 minute mark and their cover of "Kill the King" is one of the best Metallica songs since the Black Album IMO. The solos are crazy! Can't stop listening!!

I agree: the first parts of the medley were pretty meh, but the Kill the King part kicks ass. I haven't kept track of Metallica for quite a while, but it's nice to know that they still know how to metal. It's hard to believe that Metallica has been around for so long. They are apparently even part of the dictionary of my web-browser-- if I try to misspell Metallica, a red squiggle appears underneath.

I am not very familiar with Dio, except for his stint with Black Sabbath. That's all before my time. I get the impression that many metal fans look down on Dio-era Black Sabbath as an inferior product, kind of like Sammy Haggar -era Van Halen or something. However, I think it stands on its own.

My familiarity with Dio-era Black Sabbath (and Black Sabbath period, actually) started with the movie Heavy Metal, which featured two Black Sabbath songs in the final act. The first is E5150, a blood-curdling instrumental that is used in the opening moments of the final act. In a post-apocalyptic earth, a stream of pilgrims are trudging through the ruined landscape seeking a mysterious green glow on the horizon. Perhaps they hope it offers salvation of some kind. But it doesn't. Not at all. E5150 is the music that plays as the pilgrims are engulfed by a mystic green sludge that transforms them into bloodthirsty zombies. The title is fitting. E5150 = E-5-1-50 = E-V-I-L ...and if evil was a sound, this is what it would sound like.

The second Black Sabbath song featured in Heavy Metal is The Mob Rules, which is the song that plays as the bloodthirsty zombies raze the last bastion of civilization to the ground.

E5150 is not included on the movie soundtrack, but both songs are on Black Sabbath's Mob Rules album. On the album (and often at concerts) E5150 is an intro for The Mob Rules. Here are tracks 4 and 5 of the Black Sabbath "Mob Rules" studio album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQTUfLds-E

-k

[Lzzy Hale] fondly recalls meeting him after watching him sign autographs for fans "until about 3 in the morning," by her estimation. "I told Ronnie, 'We would all understand if you just wanted to get in your bus and go home,'" she says. "And he turned to me and wagged his finger in my face. 'He's like, Lzzy, it's a moment in time for all of us, and you may never remember the gig you played at or the people's names, but they will remember meeting you for the rest of their lives. So you make it good for everybody.'"