One year since Jack's death

WWWTT

Well its been one year since Jack Layton died.

There will be a gathering tomorrow at Nathan Philips square on Wednesday Aug. 22nd.From 6-9pm.

Many MPs and MPPs will be there including Thomas Mulcair and Olivia Chow.

The NDP has come a long way in the last several years and with current high polling numbers coming out it looks like we are headed for a majority NDP government in 2015.(40% in Ontario!)

But from the last poll I read,this has to do with Canadians identifying themselves as left wingers instead of being righties.

So maybe perhaps Jack was a little over rated?

Any thoughts?

WWWTT

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a damn shame that the NDP hasn't called for sainthood for him---

Altho he wasn't a Catholic I'm sure that tyhe pope would overlook that fact if he ever read his life story :blink: ---- perhaps WWWTF could write a biography of Jack & post it to the forum after sending it to Rome :lol: :lol:

Edited by Tilter

There will be a gathering tomorrow at Nathan Philips square on Wednesday Aug. 22nd.From 6-9pm.

The NDP has come a long way in the last several years and with current high polling numbers coming out it looks like we are headed for a majority NDP government in 2015.(40% in Ontario!)

But from the last poll I read,this has to do with Canadians identifying themselves as left wingers instead of being righties.

Any thoughts?

you are a dreamer.

WWWTT

Facts westguy facts.

I know you hate the polls now,but maybe when the polls change maybe you will have something a little more concrete.

When you have something other than childish name calling to add then maybe we can have a real debate/discussion.

WWWTT

I think it's a damn shame that the NDP hasn't called for sainthood for him---

Altho he wasn't a Catholic I'm sure that tyhe pope would overlook that fact if he ever read his life story :blink: ---- perhaps WWWTF could write a biography of Jack & post it to the forum after sending it to Rome :lol: :lol:

I don't think sainthood is on any ones agenda.

But if you really want to worship him you can take down Harpers picture from your shrine and put up one of Jack?

WWWTT

Any thoughts?

WWWTT

One year since Layton's death and you have to inject politics into the anniversary. Stay classy. :rolleyes:

WWWTT

Predicting anything this far out is silly.

And saying the polls are like that because most people are left leaning is an oversimplification.

And you could say that more left wingers voted in the last election. Look how that turned out.

One year since Layton's death and you have to inject politics into the anniversary. Stay classy. :rolleyes:

Yep that's the way Jack would have wanted it.

This is called "respecting the wishes of the departed".

But I think this requires too much respect for others for you to appreciate.So keep on twisting the facts to suit your agenda Shady!

WWWTT

I guess in a way you're right. He did use his death letter for pure partisan politics, which was pretty sad in my opinion. Oh well.

His death was sad & his public health decline was tragic to watch. But to speak frankly, I never really liked the guy as a politician. He was a typical liar and snake-oil salesman. So far I like Thomas Mulcair much more, seems more genuine and grounded.

Remember when Ignatieff and the Liberals were leading the Conservatives in the polls and he was on his way to being Canada's next Prime Minister?

It still amuses me to this day. As does the Wild Rose destroying Redford's PCs.

His death was sad & his public health decline was tragic to watch. But to speak frankly, I never really liked the guy as a politician. He was a typical liar and snake-oil salesman. So far I like Thomas Mulcair much more, seems more genuine and grounded.

Really? I liked Layton and I think Mulcair is smart and capable but he doesn't come across as someone I would want to be friends with.

It remains to be seen if Layton, in the long term, will overtake Stanfield, as he has in the short term, as the "Best Prime Minister we never had"

Regardless of if they are NDP or PC, the fact is both were able to gain respect from all sides. Many (MANY) Conservatives respect Layton. I'd say that there are less than 1 in 10 Canadians who do not respect Layton due to this political choices.

Frankly, if you are one of these 1 in 10, the problem is with YOU.

Remember when Ignatieff and the Liberals were leading the Conservatives in the polls and he was on his way to being Canada's next Prime Minister?

Or Hudak being 10 points up on McGuinty a month before the election. :lol: I mean :angry:

We're 3 years out on an election and the Liberals don't have a leader.

For Dippers to claim they are on the road to a majority now is beyond laughable. I'm sure Robocalls and F-35s will be top of the mind issues in 2015. :rolleyes:

Or Hudak being 10 points up on McGuinty a month before the election. :lol: I mean :angry:

We're 3 years out on an election and the Liberals don't have a leader.

For Dippers to claim they are on the road to a majority now is beyond laughable. I'm sure Robocalls and F-35s will be top of the mind issues in 2015. :rolleyes:

I remember when they said muldoon would only win 20% of the vote.............

Almost as dumb as expecting the liberals making any sort of come back right?

They don't need to make a dramatic comeback for the CPC to retain power. They just need to split the vote enough that neither party can overtake the CPC.

In Ontario most ridings are either NDP v Liberals or Liberals v CPC. I don't know of any riding where the Dippers and the Conservatives are the top two parties expected to win.

If the NDP overtake the Liberals in Ontario where do the centrist Liberal voters go? certainly not to the NDP.

It remains to be seen if Layton, in the long term, will overtake Stanfield, as he has in the short term, as the "Best Prime Minister we never had"

Regardless of if they are NDP or PC, the fact is both were able to gain respect from all sides. Many (MANY) Conservatives respect Layton. I'd say that there are less than 1 in 10 Canadians who do not respect Layton due to this political choices.

Frankly, if you are one of these 1 in 10, the problem is with YOU.

Ted, those conservatives that respected Layton respected the man, NOT his politics!

It is a significant point that most NDP supporters seem incapable of making that distinction.

Ignatieff were tied with the CPC and led them a number of times in early 2009, as well as a couple times after. No different then the NDP now.

The liberals lead for a period of 2 months in 2009 that is it. That is quite different then the NDP now although a Liberal game charger of leader might change that. I don't see how though the NDP and the Cons have moved from their left and right polls and have eaten the Liberals lunch as Conservative and Labour parties have done in the last 50 years in every western nation. Canada I think was the last one to get rid of their brokerage party but the history of all democracies is not a good thing for the Liberals no matter how much we pretend they aren't dying off across our country as they have across the world.

Edited by punked