Paul Ryan -Republican candidate for VP

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone needs to pay more. How did America survive prior to those monster Bush tax cuts anyway? How was it that it prospered and paid its bills, and still managed to survive, yet now, the thought of letting all those tax cuts expire would mean the catastrophic destruction of the economy?

tax cuts while spending billions on wars and social programs means that you're racking up your credit card bill. it's just not sustainable. spending is spending; whether it's on wars or on social programs.

if they want to cut taxes (mind you, this is only taxes for the select few at the top) and continue to keep the military industrial complex happy, it's not going to work. it's just more debt for the country.

I wasn't sure who I was going to vote for come November, but now I am.

omg! tell us who!

the prostitutes who cater to the financial lobby groups, military industrial complex, big oil and the israeli lobby called the democrats or the prostitutes who cater to the military industry complex, big oil, israeli lobby and the religious nuts called the republicans?

Guest American Woman

omg! tell us who!

the prostitutes who cater to the financial lobby groups, military industrial complex, big oil and the israeli lobby called the democrats or the prostitutes who cater to the military industry complex, big oil, israeli lobby and the religious nuts called the republicans?

I really, really, really wish that we had a candidate as noble, intelligent, and all around wonderful as you are, but since we don't, I'll have to make do with the choices we do have. ;)

I really, really, really wish that we had a candidate as noble, intelligent, and all around wonderful as you are, but since we don't, I'll have to make do with the choices we do have. ;)

With Obama's term coming to an end, it appears pretty obvious that the economy is still troubled. The millions who have lost their jobs are still unemployed for the most part and their participation by itself could jump start the economy if they had their full time jobs back.

Who does one blame for the economy, high gas prices, etc? Does the buck still stop at the President's desk, or can it be blamed on Bush? Obama's argument that it would have been significantly worse without his stimulus bills kind of has the ring of the fighter saying, "you should see the other guy!"

I don't envey you your voting decision. If another 4 years goes by without an economic rebound, then the US will be going the way of Japan, and it'll be too late to undo that.

Edited by sharkman

Who does one blame for the economy, high gas prices, etc? Does the buck still stop at the President's desk, or can it be blamed on Bush?

I would blame it on both of them. Supply-side economics that focuses too much on the needs of hiring firms and shareholders seem to have gutted the middle class and decimated the consumer base. Obama didn't do any better with what he was dealt than Bush did with respect to the economy.

tax cuts while spending billions on wars and social programs means that you're racking up your credit card bill. it's just not sustainable. spending is spending; whether it's on wars or on social programs.

if they want to cut taxes (mind you, this is only taxes for the select few at the top) and continue to keep the military industrial complex happy, it's not going to work. it's just more debt for the country.

Bingo!

I would even argue that the American military causes more problems than it actually solves/prevents.

I think if the US can ever neuter the war mongers and return to a pre WWII foreign policy,they will be on the right track.

Until then they will always be caught in their own self created viscous circle.

WWWTT

Anybody else remember the smack down Paul Ryan gave President Obama during the Obamacare discussions? It was brilliant, and Obama looked pissed. :lol:

i saw that not long ago.

the best smack down i've seen was galloway's time at u.s. senate.

Edited by bud

Anybody else remember the smack down Paul Ryan gave President Obama during the Obamacare discussions? It was brilliant, and Obama looked pissed. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNKfbO_PvkI

That was simply a rant. Obama didn't look pissed, he looked bored. I'm sure the POtUS has better things to do than listen to a useless rant.

Part of August's long-standing habit of assigning people to categories. Lutherans-- earnest. Evangelicals-- angry. Buddhists-- pleasant but bland, etc.

An East coast liberal Jew is completely different from a West coast liberal agnostic, for reasons only August could explain.

Krugman is in favour of a strong fiscal stimulus package and he derides people like Ryan who claim that governments should now focus on deficit reduction. I tend to agree with Krugman, at least in the very short term. In the long term, the US federal budget is not sustainable. This election, possibly, will involve a debate on short term fiscal stimulus spending and on the long term role of government in society.

As to the Jewish point, East Coast liberal Jews (and others) have traditionally voted Democrat largely (I think) because the Republicans are perceived as white bread, country club, Episcopalians. Nixon always made a reference to his humble Quaker roots and his wife's name and fire-red hair. Reagan's father was Catholic and this lead to the famous Reagan Democrats.

Well, a little mentioned fact is that Paul Ryan is the real deal.

Saying that Ryan can't be portrayed as extreme because he looks like a boyscout is silly.
Uh, no it's not. About half of Americans have never heard of Paul Ryan. If the Dems try and portray him as extremist in the next few weeks, I wager that the label won't stick.

We've had a bit of this in Quebec in the past few months. GND looks like a boy scout and he is an extremist.

Edited by August1991

All-time best Obama quote!

“We’re not going to be able to do anything about these entitlements if what we do is characterize whatever proposals are out there as, ‘Well, that’s the other party being irresponsible, the other party is trying to hurt our senior citizens.’”

Barack Obama, January 29, 2010

Isn't that what his campaign is doing now? Is this guy for real? :blink:

Uh, no it's not. About half of Americans have never heard of Paul Ryan. If the Dems try and portray him as extremist in the next few weeks, I wager that the label won't stick.

We've had a bit of this in Quebec in the past few months. GND looks like a boy scout and he is an extremist.

Yes, it is. The label might not stick but that doesn't mean his looks had anything to so with it.

And Ronald Reagan right? The guy Romney says he wants to govern like. I guess Krugman is the new Romney eh?

Unfortunately for you, Reagan never said deficits don't matter. Krugy did though. Unfortunately for you, Reagan's deficits were a small fraction of what the current king of deficits are. Obama makes everybody else look like amateurs!

Unfortunately for you, Reagan never said deficits don't matter. Krugy did though. Unfortunately for you, Reagan's deficits were a small fraction of what the current king of deficits are. Obama makes everybody else look like amateurs!

Tell me more about Reagans deficits and how he never balanced a budget again Shady. It makes me shiver everytime. Tell me all about his deficit to GDP and his ballooning of the debt. Tuck me into bed and tell me all about it.

BTW I have read Krugmans book where he makes quite clear that debt and deficits matter but that they matter less when in a recession because then unemployment is the number that will sink you. Better actually pick up a book next time. I'll wait for your Krugman quote though. Cited and sourced. Don't take it out of context either please.