Michigan Cop visiting Calgary - what a world view!

Guest American Woman

A big problem of ours is the vast majority of restricted and prohibited weapons in Canada come from you lot. If it ever became necessary be armed in Canada, it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to say that your lax gun laws were a big factor in making it so.

Ah, yes. I knew we'd eventually get around to blaming Canada's problems on the United States.

A big problem of ours is that a lot of our illicit drugs come from Canada. So I guess by the same token it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to say that your lax drug laws are a big factor in our gun problem, since so much of it is drug related. Sounds about right, eh?

:rolleyes:

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes. I knew we'd eventually get around to blaming Canada's problems on the United States.

A big problem of ours is that a lot of our illicit drugs come from Canada. So I guess by the same token it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to say that your lax drug laws are a big factor in our gun problem, since so much of it is drug related. Sounds about right, eh?

:rolleyes:

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. That's our reality. You are the ones who make the guns available, not us. Drugs are just as illegal in Canada as the US although the way our courts often act, you sometimes wonder.

Guest American Woman

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. That's our reality. You are the ones who make the guns available, not us. Drugs are just as illegal in Canada as the US although the way our courts often act, you sometimes wonder.

Ok, so replace "lax drug laws" with "lax enforcement/repercussions," and my argument stands. Right?

Guest American Woman

Not really. You can't grow guns in your back yard or brew them up in your basement.

And that has what to do with the reality of our situation here in the States re: drugs coming from Canada? :huh:

Why the comparison? Why the need to feel it's "safe" because it's "worse" in the United States?

Because comparing policies in similar circumstances is something that rational, thoughtful people do. It happens constantly... all over the world... and its done by people from every single country without exception.

A big problem of ours is that a lot of our illicit drugs come from Canada.

Your problem isnt supply its DEMAND. You guys like to use a massive ammount of drugs, and spend more on them than any other country on earth, so countries all over the world export these drugs to the US.

Same goes with Canada. The real problem is our demand, which is caused for the most part by our OWN idiotic failed war on drugs.

We deserve to be flooded with firearms and drug related violence. Turns out... stupid things happen to stupid people and Canadians have nobody to blame but themselves.

Guest American Woman

Uh, illegal drugs aren't produced by blue chip companies listed on the DOW or sold with government consent.

So what? The lax enforcement/repercussions of illicit drugs in Canada does have government consent.

Nope sorry not my job to pat the cops on the back when they do their job.

And why should it be?

I work construction where there are more deaths and injuries and I don't get a pat on the back,why do cops deserve one from me?

The construction industry is the most dangerous in Canada. (Pawel Dwulit/Canadian Press)700 deaths

The construction industry in Canada is the most deadly in terms of the number of fatalities.

Construction has the highest number of deaths of any industry in Canada, accounting for 23.3 per cent of all workplace fatalities between 2008 and 2010.

Yes the Construction industry is a dangrous place to work no doubt there, But let me ask you this do you have the opition of not working on a site, because you think it is too dangerous ? Police and military members have signed unlimited liabilty agreements, you can never refuse a legal order, that places your life in danger....Unless you tell me competing construction companies have shoot outs and you boss orders you to finish doing the roof with bullets whizzing over head...

So your comparison does not work....or does it...

Let me ask you this how many of those deaths were preventable accidents ? according to stats can most of them were, in fact almost all were....as long as we are painting everyone with the same brush that could lead to the conclusion that construction workers are unsafe to work with in fact deadly....or it could be that there is more construction workers which drive up there stats....depends on how you bend the numbers...

Here is another question for you how many civilians have died due to faulty construction, completed by construction trades persons across Canada. there must be a few, i google searched it and got well over 20 pages of law suits with dozens of deaths attributed to poor workmen ship, or cutting corners....once again painting every construction trade with the same brush they to are responsable for dozens of deaths across canada......one would think not only are they dangerous but they are killers as well...

I'm not asking you to pat them on the back, just show them the respect they may deserve...and if they are guilty of doing illigal things i support your post and they should be held accountable....

In 2011, there were 598 homicides in Canada, 44 more than the previous year, marking a 7% increase in the homicide rate (1.7 per 100,000 population) (Table 4, Chart 10). The homicide rate has generally been decreasing since peaking in the mid-1970s.

Similar to previous years, violent crimes accounted for about one-fifth of offences reported by police in 2011. Police reported more than 424,400 violent incidents, 14,800 fewer than in 2010.

If the all the police forces in Canada and the US were never abusing their power then there would be very few complaining and no footage of cops behaving poorly.Are you suggesting that those complaining have nothing?

Never said that it does not happen just it was not being carried out by the majority.....

Umm. Yes. Of course it does. The court is part of the government.

No, the courts administer laws passed by government, subject to the Constitution and Bill of Rights. They can rule a law unconstitutional and tell the government to take a hike. Sentencing is subject to precedent and the discretion of the courts. I believe your system works much the same way. Doesn't your Constitution get trotted out any time there is an attempt to change your gun laws?

Guest American Woman

No, the courts administer laws passed by government, subject to the Constitution and Bill of Rights. They can rule a law unconstitutional and tell the government to take a hike. Sentencing is subject to precedent and the discretion of the courts. I believe your system works much the same way. Doesn't your Constitution get trotted out any time there is an attempt to change your gun laws?

It's all part of the government. We have three branches of government: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. It's the same in Canada. The courts ARE part of the government.

It's all part of the government. We have three branches of government: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. It's the same in Canada. The courts ARE part of the government.

The executive and legislative have to work together and must answer to the voter. The judiciary only answers to itself.

Guest American Woman

The executive and legislative have to work together and must answer to the voter. The judiciary only answers to itself.

The judiciary is part of Canada's government. Do you deny that?

True but the drugs are sre still illegal. Let's face it, neither one of us is batting 1000 when it comes to drugs.

Hell... neither of has even gotten a base hit ever in history. The failed war on drugs is one of the stupidest and most destructive policies in human history, and Canada is actually doubling down on it. Canada is an embarrasment, and being "marginally less retarded" than the US is no place to hang yer hat on.

Edited by dre

Who is hanging their hat on anything? In general sentencing for all crimes is less severe in Canada than the US, not just for drug related crimes, but we still manage to muddle through without arming everyone.

BTW, my sympathies are with your cop. I can understand the way he felt. He didn't understand what would likely happened if opened his mouth to a newspaper.

Who is hanging their hat on anything? In general sentencing for all crimes is less severe in Canada than the US, not just for drug related crimes, but we still manage to muddle through without arming everyone.

BTW, my sympathies are with your cop. I can understand the way he felt. He didn't understand what would likely happened if opened his mouth to a newspaper.

My understanding is that he likes to open his mouth to newspapers, penning pro gun and Christianity screeds. When Jesus returns, I'm sure he'll carry the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 revolver. Nothing but the biggest for the Lord and all. Plus he'll need it for all the mayhem during the end times. The whole world will look like Detroit.

Guest American Woman

No but not in the auite same way as yours. None of ours are elected.

What difference does that make?? My response is still as relevant as your observation. Seems to me you are tying really hard to get around it, but it is what it is.

Yes the Construction industry is a dangrous place to work no doubt there, But let me ask you this do you have the opition of not working on a site, because you think it is too dangerous ? Police and military members have signed unlimited liabilty agreements, you can never refuse a legal order, that places your life in danger....Unless you tell me competing construction companies have shoot outs and you boss orders you to finish doing the roof with bullets whizzing over head...

So your comparison does not work....or does it...

Soldiers and cops know very well what they are getting into when they sign up.

And this is too far separated from the thread.

WWWTT

I'm not asking you to pat them on the back, just show them the respect they may deserve...and if they are guilty of doing illigal things i support your post and they should be held accountable....

I give everyone the same respect that they give me.No more and no less!

WWWTT