Michigan Cop visiting Calgary - what a world view!

So, some police officer was visiting Calgary during the Stampede and, well, lets just quote this portion from the link:

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: 'Been to the Stampede yet?'" writes Mr. Wawra in his letter to the editor.

The 20-year veteran of the Kalamazoo, Michigan, police department, carries an "off-duty hand-gun" when in Michigan. But while visiting Calgary with his wife he found it strange not to be able to do so. Here is the rest of the encounter:

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?"

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, "Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know - it's because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

In one of the comments in the link provided is this quote:

In between guffaws at all of the jokes being made at Mr. Wawra's expense, I started to feel a bit sorry for the guy. Not because people were mocking his formal language or behaviour, but because I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a world where I'm suspicious of every stranger, every casual encounter, every uninvited interaction... I appreciate the levity of #NoseHillGentlemen, if for no other reason that it reaffirms how sensible the majority of us are about guns and gun control... To me, it says that we assume people have good intentions until they show us otherwise. Just one more reason to be thankful that I'm raising my kids here, in the True North Strong & Free.

I find it interesting how we have these different world views.

The paranoia of the Michigan cop (which very well could be reasonable where he comes from) vs the assumed "good intentions until they show otherwise" attitude of the Calgarian expressed above.

I wonder to what extent such psychology plays in the gun control vs gun ownership debate?

Edited by msj

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God for that. You really rather have this guy be able to blow away two people who were offering free tickets?

Surly if this cop had a gun he would never have fired it because Alberta, unlike Florida, does not have a "stand your ground law." :lol:

Edited by msj

Guest American Woman

Thank God for that. You really rather have this guy be able to blow away two people who were offering free tickets?

Yeah, I'm sure he would have blown them away. :rolleyes: Interesting that this is what makes news in Canada - one American's letter to the press. Talk about blowing something out of proportion - first the cop - and then the Canadian media - and the responses. :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure he would have blown them away. :rolleyes: Interesting that this is what makes news in Canada - one American's letter to the press. Talk about blowing something out of proportion - first the cop - and then the Canadian media - and the responses. :lol:

What's wrong with discussing this?

You don't think that their is a different philosophical world view at play?

Or are you just unable to comprehend another philosophical world view because you're from Michigan just like the cop?

Guest American Woman

What's wrong with discussing this?

What's wrong with stating my opinion about the reaction to his reaction? Only his reaction is up for criticism? :rolleyes:

You don't think that their is a different philosophical world view at play?

Ummmm. No. I think there are all kinds of people in this world who react all different sorts of ways for all different sorts of reasons.

Or are you just unable to comprehend another philosophical world view because you're from Michigan just like the cop?

I have no idea what this is even supposed to mean. :D

Well what's the point of the gun except to blow them away? Threaten unarmed people? Because if they also had a gun, they would have presumably shot him before the could draw his. They'd be stupid not to.

Guest American Woman

Well what's the point of the gun except to blow them away? Threaten unarmed people? Because if they also had a gun, they would have presumably shot him before the could draw his. They'd be stupid not to.

Since he carries it off duty in Michigan and hasn't "blown anyone away" yet, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that he wouldn't have blown them away either. :lol:

Edited by American Woman

Since he carries it off duty in Michigan and hasn't "blown anyone away" yet, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that he wouldn't have blown them away either. :lol:

So he just pulls it out with every stranger he meets? "You better not offer me free tickets, or see what you'll get." Weird way to go thru life. You'd think the Lawd Jaysus Chrast would protect him.

No ocifer Bickle, I wasn't talking to you, honest.

Edited by Canuckistani

Interesting that this is what makes news in Canada - one American's letter to the press. Talk about blowing something out of proportion - first the cop - and then the Canadian media - and the responses. :lol:

I dont think anything is being blown out of proportion since he was in fact to be offered free entrance ticklets to the Stampede. Happens all the time there.

It made the news in kalamazoo, some of the posters from there are embarassed.

Huffington Post

Deadline detroit

...all covered it.

I walk my dog in that park it's an enormous park 11 sq miles so I can understand feeling isolated and cut of from help if someone were intent to confront me there...but I think he was overreacting to what he perceived as threatening behaviour... if those two men were really intent on hurting him they would've done so as there wouldn't have been anyone there to come to his aid or witness the attack, after all he didn't have a gun so where was the deterrence?...

this is not to say random assaults don't happen here they do but the situation as he described doesn't sound right...

Edited by wyly

It's against forum rules to falsify somebody's posts. Please refrain from doing so in the future or I will have to report you.

Naw silly, it was false to begin with.

You want more lies/falsities attributed to your name? You have literally tons of them already, so I suppose one more wont hurt your.....er ....reputation.

What's wrong with stating my opinion about the reaction to his reaction? Only his reaction is up for criticism? :rolleyes:

Where did I state anything was wrong with stating an opinion about this?

Ummmm. No. I think there are all kinds of people in this world who react all different sorts of ways for all different sorts of reasons.

So you are saying "no" to the question "You don't think that their is a different philosophical world view at play?" and then you go on to state that people react for "all different sorts of reasons."

So, are these reasons related to their worldview or not?

Do you really mean "yes, but there are other reasons..." or what?

Edited by msj

But Michigan has a stand your ground law so the people there already know to not approach people and, specifically, not to wear hoodies if they have dark skin. :lol:

So, some police officer was visiting Calgary during the Stampede and, well, lets just quote this portion from the link:

In one of the comments in the link provided is this quote:

I find it interesting how we have these different world views.

The paranoia of the Michigan cop (which very well could be reasonable where he comes from) vs the assumed "good intentions until they show otherwise" attitude of the Calgarian expressed above.

I wonder to what extent such psychology plays in the gun control vs gun ownership debate?

I think this kind of attitude is becoming increasingly more common amongst officers on both sides of the border. The utter paranoia, confrontational attitude, and unreasonableness is doing damage to their credibility on both sides of the border.

You're right. He wouldn't have. Instead he comes to a foreign country and takes it upon himself to criticize their domestic policy because he couldn't have his safety blanket with him while he was sucking his thumb on the streets of Calgary.

You're right. He wouldn't have. Instead he comes to a foreign country and takes it upon himself to criticize their domestic policy because he couldn't have his safety blanket with him while he was sucking his thumb on the streets of Calgary.

wonder if he reported the non-incident at the police station on the park...I can imagine their response, a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders...