Michigan Cop visiting Calgary - what a world view!

I feel the same way in grizzly country without a shotgun. However, I know that there are actually bears out there that will chew your face off if you happen upon one. So I can understand your premise.... however, the world is not actually as dangerous as this man's mind tells him that it is....

The mindset that everyone is an enemy and danger lurks around every corner is foreign to me. I think it is especially dangerous when these people walk around with guns.

Perhaps Kalamazoo is really dangerous. I don't know. Even if it is, not every place is as scary as Kalamazoo.

I doesn't really matter. Our individual comfort zones may make no sense at all to our neighbours but most of us react the same way when forced out of them. That he does what may be regarded as normal where he comes from, doesn't make him paranoid.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

It makes sense that someone who is used to being armed at all times when going out in public would feel somewhat naked if they weren't. I feel the same way if I don't do up my seatbelt when I get in a car. On the other hand, this incident illustrates the fundamental difference in attitude our two countries....

Again. This is one guy. A cop who is used to having his gun on him. Out of 312 million people. No one voted for him to represent our country, and he doesn't represent our country. So no, it illustrates no such thing.

Guest American Woman

Nope. Those who claim that there is such evidence are likely cherry-picking statistics to suit their predetermined conclusions.

Wrong. Those who claim that there is such evidence are aware of the statistics.

Yes, to me it is scary that someone this paranoid is allowed to carry a gun.

I'm sure it is. Just as I said. And that makes you paranoid. <_<

I have traveled outside of Canada on a regular basis. I know your little assertion was made to belittle, but simply ask, rather than making such a silly assumption.

Good for you. Considering your paranoia, I'm assuming you haven't traveled to the U.S. or learned anything from your travels.

Again. This is one guy. A cop who is used to having his gun on him. Out of 312 million people. No one voted for him to represent our country, and he doesn't represent our country. So no, it illustrates no such thing.

Actually it does. No Canadian cop would ever say such a thing to the media. We do have very different attitudes toward firearms. I'm not going to debate their relative merits unless you insist but that is just the way it is.

Guest American Woman

Actually it does. No Canadian cop would ever say such a thing to the media. We do have very different attitudes toward firearms. I'm not going to debate their relative merits unless you insist but that is just the way it is.

How many cops do you think there are in the U.S.? How many of them do you think have visited Canada? And how many have said such a thing to the media? That would be one.

He represents himself. He does not represent a nation of 312 million people. He does not even represent American police officers.

As I said, it illustrates no such thing.

Edited by American Woman

How many cops do you think there are in the U.S.? How many of them do you think have visited Canada? And how many have said such a thing to the media? That would be one.

He represents himself. He does not represent a nation of 312 million people. He does not even represent American police officers.

As I said, it illustrates no such thing.

Of course it does. I realize he doesn't represent every American and not all Canadians would disagree with him but his comment was just a illustration of how we differ in general on this subject. If the sometimes over the top response to his comment can't convince you of how much we differ, I don't know what could.

Guest American Woman

Of course it does. I realize he doesn't represent every American and not all Canadians would disagree with him but his comment was just a illustration of how we differ in general on this subject.

No, it doesn't. There is no "we," only "him."

If the sometimes over the top response to his comment can't convince you of how much we differ, I don't know what could.

Oh, we differ, but his comment does not "illustrate the fundamental difference in attitude [of] our two countries....;" his attitude is not that of "Americans," but rather of him, personally. One American makes a comment and suddenly he represents the attitude of America.

The off the wall responses you refer to are a different issue entirely.

Edited by American Woman

Oh, we differ, but his comment does not "illustrate the fundamental difference in attitude [of] our two countries....;" his attitude is not that of "Americans," but rather of him, personally. One American makes a comment and suddenly he represents the attitude of America.

I never once said he "represents" America, I said his comment "illustrates" the difference in attitude. You quoted that yourself. If I had meant "represents" I would have said "represents".

Edited by Wilber

Wrong. Those who claim that there is such evidence are aware of the statistics.

That's not what the studies have shown.

I'm sure it is. Just as I said. And that makes you paranoid. <_<

I'm rubber, you're glue? OK

Good for you. Considering your paranoia, I'm assuming you haven't traveled to the U.S. or learned anything from your travels.

Nice tactic.... the old "I know you are, but what am I" trick.

Won't work. Thinking that paranoid people should not be carrying guns is not paranoid, it is sensible. I travel to the USA frequently. I attend workshops for work, go on holidays, and visit friends that I have in the USA. We all learn a lot from each other I think.

Like you keep arguing, this is one cop from all of the USA. And I have never said otherwise. I am critical of this one individual's mindset and those like him. I didn't criticize all cops or all Americans for being paranoid.

Guest American Woman

I never once said he "represents" America, I said his comment "illustrates" the difference in attitude. You quoted that yourself. If I had meant "represents" I would have said "represents".

If his attitude doesn't represent America, how can what he said illustrate America's attitude??

If his attitude doesn't represent America, how can what he said illustrate America's attitude??

It illustrates a difference because no Canadian cop would think of saying that. But I said that before. I'm sure his attitude represents the feelings of a lot of Americans. I belong to a couple of RV forums and the topic of Americans bemoaning not being able bring their guns to Canada comes up all the time. For most it isn't a big issue but you might be surprised how it is for many. Some of them flat refuse to leave the US for that reason alone.

Guest American Woman

That's not what the studies have shown.

"Studies" don't give that information, statistics do.

I'm rubber, you're glue? OK

And you're 12? :huh:

Nice tactic.... the old "I know you are, but what am I" trick.

Won't work. Thinking that paranoid people should not be carrying guns is not paranoid, it is sensible. I travel to the USA frequently. I attend workshops for work, go on holidays, and visit friends that I have in the USA. We all learn a lot from each other I think.

Thinking that he's paranoid, when you have no idea of the circumstances of his run-in, and thinking that he is too "scary" to have a gun is paranoia, so you might want to lose the school yard rhetoric.

Like you keep arguing, this is one cop from all of the USA. And I have never said otherwise. I am critical of this one individual's mindset and those like him. I didn't criticize all cops or all Americans for being paranoid.

And I'm not criticizing all Canadians, nor am I saying all Canadians are paranoid. I keep arguing that this is one cop from all of the US, but I have never said he was "paranoid" or "scary." I have no first hand knowledge of the confrontation he speaks of, but I know that he wasn't about to blow anyone away or do anything "scary" with his gun. To think he would have, to conclude that it is "scary" that he has a gun, is paranoia, pure and simple.

Edited by American Woman

"Studies" don't give that information, statistics do.

And you're 12? :huh:

Thinking that he's paranoid, when you have no idea of the circumstances of his run-in, and thinking that he is too "scary" to have a gun is paranoia, so you might want to lose the school yard rhetoric.

And I'm not criticizing all Canadians, nor am I saying all Canadians are paranoid. I keep arguing that this is one cop from all of the US, but I have never said he was "paranoid" or "scary." I have no first hand knowledge of the confrontation he speaks of, but I know that he wasn't about to blow anyone away or do anything "scary" with his gun. To think he would have, to conclude that it is "scary" that he has a gun, is paranoia, pure and simple.

We have plenty of information on the nature of his contact with the "scary" Canadians. Judging from what was provided, he is a paranoid gun-nut. But maybe there is some different information out there to prove me wrong. Haven't seen it....

Guest American Woman

From all reports, apparently these two wanted to hand out free tickets. Doesn't get much more menacing then that, eh? BLAM!!

And I have already shown that "all reports" were wrong. I repeat:

For the record:

There were ... rumours the two men in question worked for the Stampede and were giving out free passes to the park.

Not true, said Stampede spokesman Doug Fraser.

Read more:

Regardless, they obviously weren't out to get anyone since, in the paranoid officer's own words, "They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them."

No comments about yelling or profanity or even drunkenness (which wouldn't be a shocker during Stampede!).... just a question about Stampede and bewildered looks. Not even the evil-eye or a stink-eye! Just bewildered looks....

BLAM BLAM!!! take that bewildered Calgarians!!

Guest American Woman

Regardless, they obviously weren't out to get anyone since, in the paranoid officer's own words, "They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them."

I see. When confronted with the reality that "all reports" were incorrect, your response is simply "regardless....."

Guess I've got your number. <_<

I see. When confronted with the reality that "all reports" were incorrect, your response is simply "regardless....."

Guess I've got your number. <_<

Yes... "regardless". In other words, what they were giving away, or if they were at all, doesn't really matter.

Until we find out via new reports, or maybe we never will, all we can go by is Mr. Wawra's own words. "They looked bewildered...."

Doesn't sound very menacing to me. Blowing them away might have been a little harsh.... even in Florida!!

You've shown that they weren't giving out tickets on behalf of Stampede. As someone mentioned, corporations in Calgary do the same thing. We don't know that they weren't handing out tickets.

Did Walt or his wife have a cellphone? Why didn't they call 9-1-1 if they were in such a dangerous situation? Any situation where it would have been nice to have a gun sounds like an emergency to me.... They should have called 9-1-1 and/or went and reported the assault (???) to the police so other people wouldn't be asked such menacing questions by these hooligans!

Did Walt or his wife have a cellphone? Why didn't they call 9-1-1 if they were in such a dangerous situation? Any situation where it would have been nice to have a gun sounds like an emergency to me.... They should have called 9-1-1 and/or went and reported the assault (???) to the police so other people wouldn't be asked such menacing questions by these hooligans!

ya I can what that call would have be like...911-"hello 911 what is the nature of your emergency"...cop-"Two young men spoke to us and we're scared since I wasn't packing any heat to blow them away" ...911-"where are these men now"...cop-"I used harsh language to confuse them and they left, please come and kill them before they walk away"

Guest American Woman

Yes... "regardless". In other words, what they were giving away, or if they were at all, doesn't really matter.

I see. It really doesn't matter, yet you made a big deal out of it. So did the media. It seems to be the basis of the ridicule.

Until we find out via new reports, or maybe we never will, all we can go by is Mr. Wawra's own words. "They looked bewildered...."

You left out some of his words, didn't you? But yes. All we can go by is Mr. Wawra's own words: "They approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner." Or are you simply dismissing the words that don't fit your mindset?

Doesn't sound very menacing to me. Blowing them away might have been a little harsh.... even in Florida!!

Good God. Can you say overreaction? - and as you're saying it, look in the mirror for the visual. :lol: Like I said, the overreactions equal any overreaction on his part - and then some. It's truly hilarious... and that's the reality of it. Reading some of the responses here makes his response look downright normal. :D

Edited by American Woman

I guess if you act like any of these cops, you SHOULD be nervous.

Warning graphic material. Ignoring it, does not make it go away.

happens here as well...one of the cops that killed Robert Dziekanski does it again as drunk driver and gets a slap on the wrist...anyone of us would be getting a lengthy jail term...