Your Toronto Blue Jays

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did Bautista save Toronto from a Vancouver style riot tonight? I heard the game on the radio but I've yet to see the drama.

If that game ended 3-2 after a run gets scored because the catcher hits the batter throwing back to the mound, Jays fan would have been justifiably pissed.

Karma played into it with the Rangers booting 3 errors in the bottom of the inning.

If that game ended 3-2 after a run gets scored because the catcher hits the batter throwing back to the mound, Jays fan would have been justifiably pissed.

Why ? There is a specific rule just for that circumstance.

I surprised that Roughned Odor even knew such a technicality and advanced to home plate.

A few fans behaved badly...not cool. This ain't hockey !

It was the right call, which is what matters in these things. The ump behind the plate did all the right things, except calling time. Upon review, it would be noted that the calling of time had no impact on the play either- nobody on the Jays made a move toward the ball and the runner would have and did score regradless of what any Jay could have done.

The ball was in play and the error was on Martin. He remained in his crouch with a speed demon on third, and was much too casual in tossing the ball back. Odor had a big walking lead, and Josh Donaldson should have been closer to his bag too.

Odor was doing what he was supposed to do- run when he could.

Another massive choke by a Toronto sports team was averted.

Jose earned himself a few bean balls from Texas next year for hotdogging his home run.

Go Jays.

The Jays are going to start the next series with their pitching rotation a little scrambled, but so will the Royals- who had TWO comebacks in games 4 and 5 of their series to win.

The Jays will have to be on the top of their game against the Royals, who have a fantastic bullpen.

It was the right call, which is what matters in these things. The ump behind the plate did all the right things, except calling time. Upon review, it would be noted that the calling of time had no impact on the play either- nobody on the Jays made a move toward the ball and the runner would have and did score regradless of what any Jay could have done.

The ball was in play and the error was on Martin. He remained in his crouch with a speed demon on third, and was much too casual in tossing the ball back. Odor had a big walking lead, and Josh Donaldson should have been closer to his bag too.

Odor was doing what he was supposed to do- run when he could.

Another massive choke by a Toronto sports team was averted.

Jose earned himself a few bean balls from Texas next year for hotdogging his home run.

Go Jays.

The Jays are going to start the next series with their pitching rotation a little scrambled, but so will the Royals- who had TWO comebacks in games 4 and 5 of their series to win.

The Jays will have to be on the top of their game against the Royals, who have a fantastic bullpen.

The whole getting mad at Bat Flips appears to be a racial thing in Baseball. It's not OK for the latin guy to get excited.

Estrada, Price, Dickey Stroman would be my starting pitcher lineup.

Johnny Cueto can't start until Game 3 at the earliest for the Royals.

The Jays bullpen has also been fantastic. Just sayin'

What is your reasoning on starting Price ahead of Dickey, both on short rest given the nature of how they pitch, and on Prices (lack of) performance?

The bat flip is a direct 'f**k you' gesture to pitchers and other teams, and has no racial overtones. It is fine to get excited,, considered hotdoggery to flip your bat. They'll bean him next year. Oh well. Bats is being disengenuous when he claims not to remember doing it. On the other hand, he is on our team so I'll forgive him.

So is the overly slow home run trot. Jose Canseco used to do it often. I saw him do it in Rogers Centre, after he hit a fifth deck monster shot. The funny thing was that his team was losing about 8-0 in the 9th when he did it. Several Jays were pointing at the scoreboard and laughing at him as he waddled glacialy around the bases.

What is your reasoning on starting Price ahead of Dickey, both on short rest given the nature of how they pitch, and on Prices (lack of) performance?

The bat flip is a direct 'f**k you' gesture to pitchers and other teams, and has no racial overtones. It is fine to get excited,, considered hotdoggery to flip your bat. They'll bean him next year. Oh well. Bats is being disengenuous when he claims not to remember doing it. On the other hand, he is on our team so I'll forgive him.

So is the overly slow home run trot. Jose Canseco used to do it often. I saw him do it in Rogers Centre, after he hit a fifth deck monster shot. The funny thing was that his team was losing about 8-0 in the 9th when he did it. Several Jays were pointing at the scoreboard and laughing at him as he waddled glacialy around the bases.

It can't just be a "playoff" thing for Price. We saw Tuesday with Clayton Kershaw that good pitchers will eventually pitch well. Price only had 50 pitches. I guess it's a coin flip but if I was Gibbons, I wouldn't want to skip over Price twice in the same playoffs.

Here's a study about the cultural divide in baseball

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/09/30/mlb-bench-clearing-brawls-unwritten-rules-ethnic-backgrounds/73066892/

A USA TODAY Sports study of 67 bench-clearing incidents in Major League Baseball over the past five seasons found the main antagonists hailed from different ethnic backgrounds in 87% of the cases.

Just more than half of them - 34 - pitted white Americans against foreign-born Latinos. Another four featured white Americans and U.S.-born Latinos.

It's always the Latin guy being too excited and the white guy trying to adhere to some unwritten rule.

Edited by Boges

It's always the Latin guy being too excited and the white guy trying to adhere to some unwritten rule.

No it isn't. The unwritten rules about hotdogging have been around forever.

Nearly half the people in MLB are not Caucasian, so how is it surprising that there are confrontations between Players of different ethnicity.? And there was plenty of action on 'unwritten rules' before the game was even intergrated racially.

Give it your best, that dog does not bark.

It can't just be a "playoff" thing for Price. We saw Tuesday with Clayton Kershaw that good pitchers will eventually pitch well.

Well, Price was 0 for 6 as a starter in the playoffs and his performance Tuesday hardly inspired confidence. You cannot wait around while somebody finds themselves.

I think Gibbons will do whatever he thinks will win, though that was certainly not the case with veteran pitchers through the regular season.

He knows Price is almost certainly gone in a couple of weeks in any case.

I'll give you my reasoning: Price throws hard, and 50 pitches is certainly enough to cause the minor damage to tissue that determines the five day cycle for starters. Dickey does not throw hard, and with a similar number of pitches he probably will be better physically. A long playoff run is in better shape with both of them at peak form, and early in the series there is no panic.

Yeah but as highlighted in the story I posted. Latin players don't play by these "unwritten" rules. That pitcher Dyson was being a spaz. He started a scuffle because he "thought" EE was actually trying to get the fans whipped up and not trying to calm them down.

Unwritten rules in sports gets you Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore.

You logic is sound but you're going to have to start one of the two at home. You could also argue against making Price wait another full 7 days to pitch again (after only having 50 pitches over 3 innings) when, clearly, an 11 day rest didn't help him at all. It's said Dickey is a better pitcher at home as well. Putting him in Monday will give him that chance.

I don't think there's a wrong decision here.

Edited by Boges

Yeah but as highlighted in the story I posted. Latin players don't play by these "unwritten" rules. That pitcher Dyson was being a spaz. He started a scuffle because he "thought" EE was actually trying to get the fans whipped up and not trying to calm them down.

Unwritten rules in sports gets you Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore.

You logic is sound but you're going to have to start one of the two at home. You could also argue against making Price wait another full 7 days to pitch again (after only having 50 pitches over 3 innings) when, clearly, an 11 day rest didn't help him at all. It's said Dickey is a better pitcher at home as well. Putting him in Monday will give him that chance.

I don't think there's a wrong decision here.

Pedro Martinez used to bean guys for making eye contact with him. I remeber once some guy on the Dodgers winked at him when Pedro missed him high and tight. Next pitch , Martinez drills him in the back, then charges the plate. Right at a guy still holding a bat!

Sorry, but I don't buy that Latino players don't know the rules of conduct. Every pro player knows this fully before he gets to MLB level.

One of two whom starting at home? The right lineup of starters is likely Estrada, Dickey Stroman and then Price. Rest dictates much of that plus what I said before, but there is another factor. Price started the playoffs as the number 1 in that rotation, and I reckon he has now played himself into #4.

Just got some inside information: Jays manager is going to allow KC a 3 run lead into the last innings. Then they are ging to put down the hammer and blow past them. The intent is to break their spirit early in this series and cripple them for the rest of the series.

Honest - just got it of the internet!

Interesting saying - where did you get that ?

Don Cherry has been saying it for at least 20 years.

The Royals dissected the Jays with their pitching and ability to manufacture runs. Three hits. Failure to advance a single base with two on and nobody out....

The 5-0 score flattered us.

And that wait-until-the-end strategy is not going to work. The jays need that big lead early, because coming back on the Royals bullpen is really tough. They lost their closer recently and are still dominant.

And I have to comment on the giant rowdy champagne fueled celebrations the Jays have enjoyed after winning their division,and winning the ALDS. Both times they have played like reeking turds after clinching. Maybe they should dial it down a bit and 'act like they've been there before' , even though they haven't. The goal is to win the World Series, not hoist some banner nobody gives a shit about.

This game today is critical. After this , the Jays have three home games in a park that is much more friendly to their style. If they can split in KC, it become a best of five with three at home. Gotta win this one or we'll be out shopping for free agent pitchers soon.