Obama vs Romney - POTUS 2012

Anyway, yes, I see CC is following this thread, therefore he ought to know about the slur in the image and he has had more than enough time to edit his post.

I've had enough time to edit my post, eh? Nobody PMed me about it or else I would have received an email and responded immediately. I'm editing it now, since I didn't notice when I posted it and this is the first I'm reading about it. Contrary to my post count, I'm not actually on the forum 24/7. I do have a life and other responsibilities.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry CC.

Given the time stamp on BC2004's post and your time stamp on other posts elsewhere I assumed you saw his "highlight" already and knew about it.

Good on you for taking it down and good on BC2004 for doing the same.

Edited by msj

Great column by a Democrat that voted for Obama in 2008.

]Why I'm Voting For Romney[/b]

To understand why I’m switching, it helps to understand why I backed Obama four years ago. I am a Democrat, but vote as an independent. I see people, not parties, so Obama’s label played no role.

He failed as president because he is incompetent, dishonest and not interested in the actual work of governing. His statist policies helped consign millions of Americans to a lower standard of living and his odious class warfare further divided the nation. He had no intention of uniting the country — it was his Big Lie.

I don’t hate him. But I sure as hell don’t trust him.

As for the desperate charge that opposition to Obama makes me a racist, let me note that he was black when I voted for him.

http://www.nypost.co...75rPUIuWCfgNpnJ

Edited by Shady

]Fans boo, walk out during Madonna concert after pro-Obama remarks[/b]

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz2AgQGJQoV

Some fans booed and walked out of Madonna’s concert Saturday night in New Orleans after she made pro-Obama remarks onstage, the Associated Press reports.

“Who’s registered to vote? I don’t care who you vote for, as long as you vote for Obama,” she said.

When concert-goers started to boo, Madonna said, “Seriously, I don’t care who you vote for … Do not take this privilege for granted. Go vote.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz2AgQ3fzRt

Edited by betsy

It is unfortunate the Bush Romney election is side tracked time and time again with ridiculous arguements. So I will address this to American Woman the only person I think has any semblance of sanity left on this forum and noted Yank Bush-Chaney.

I stopped reading after that. .... too damn funny.

Guest American Woman

It is unfortunate the Bush Romney election is side tracked time and time again with ridiculous arguements. So I will address this to American Woman the only person I think has any semblance of sanity left on this forum and noted Yank Bush-Chaney.

You can appreciate as a Canadian I respect absolutely the right of Americans to pick their own leader and hope everyone votes and realizes your vote is a privilege the majority of the world will never enjoy and was won at the price of many brave lives.

Thank you, and well put - I agree that it's so important that we never take the privilege of voting for granted.

That said when I express my opinion its only to debate but I do not presume to tell you Yanks a thing. Its your business.,

I personaly find it incredible Romney could last this long. He is the only politician I know who has NO platform and no positions and people are fine with that. I can't believe it. Yah yah,,some plan that he'll only create it after he's elected. So everyone is supposed to sign a blank cheque?

I think a lot of people are going to vote for Romney just to not vote for Obama - but at the same time, a lot of Republicans, who would normally vote Republican because it's their party, are getting frustrated with not knowing where Romney stands. Others, I believe, just have faith that he will follow the Republican mindset. I'm not surprised that he's still hanging in there as I always thought whoever won the last election - be it Obama or McCain - would be a one term president. With all that he would be walking into, I didn't think it would be possible to deal with it to the point where the American public at large would be pleased with where the nation stood in less than four years.

For me I am amazed at the amount of coded references to Obama being black, i.e., the not so subtle references about his being a foreigner, a Muslim, a Kenyan, an illegal. I am amazed at the number of references to his being suspect because he has Hussein as his middle name and he's portrayed as a communist because of his stand on medicare.

In Canada we call Stephen Harper a right wing conservative and yet he supports medicare and not tearing it down and he supports gun control-two things that if he did in the states he would be called a communist for doing.

I think Americans are a bit more vocal than Canadians. We tend to say what's on our mind. We don't hold back. So - in the heat of the moment/election, people are going to mouth off. I do see some of the references you speak of coming from Canadians on this board, too, though; so I don't think it's just an American thing. I guess, too, when there's a population of about 235 million of voting age, there's bound to be more variety of opinions - and more 'noise' about it.

Here we have Harper who most refer to as a fiscal conservative and his make works projects are exactly the same thing Obama is doing yet arper is not called a commie like Obama.

Is anyone in Canadian politics called a "commie?"

I think that while some Americans are more likely to talk this way than Canadians, other Americans are more likely to just ignore it - not think much of it. It's just the way it is.

I do not get Americans that way. Romney says in a debate he does not trust government just big business but this is a country that because of lack of regulations saw a bank collapse and then wtached as BP Oil created a collosal environmental disaster and if it wasn't for Obama's intervention with stiff government regulations requiring they compensate millions of Americans, they would have walked away.

You mean you don't get the Americans who are supporting Romney? There are clearly Canadians who would be supporting him, voting for him, too - given the chance. So I'm not sure what it is you're saying that you don't get about Americans.

This is a country of supposed wealth and yet people die in the streets from preventable diseases brought on by exposure to cimate and lack of food and people who are poor or unemployed are referred to as takers.

The same thing happens in Canada. I've seen the homeless on the streets of Toronto. As for the reference to "takers," are you referring to Romney's comment about the 47%? I doubt if he's the only conservative to feel that way about the poor and/or unemployed. He just got caught saying it in a private setting. I don't see that as anything uniquely American, if that's what you are saying. I would guess the same kind of comments have been made by other politicians - in the U.S. and elsewhere - behind closed doors.

Cities of thousands of homeless and Romney's solution is to give his less than 2% of the richest people a tax break claiming they will then throw bread crumbs to the masses and people buy that patronizing rich man talk?

I'm not sure how much people are "buying it." I'm not in that mindset, so I can't really comment.

This is a man born into a trust fund who was the talking head of a company whose existence was based on hostile takeovers, putting thousands out of work, then reselling these companies and only paymng 14% on his profits and you call him in touch with the average person out there? This is a man who has been taking his life savings and amassing it offshore and won't disclose it but has his not so subtle followers demand Obama disclose his transcripts from school?

We've got a Canadian or two on this board of that mindset. All I can say is it's a result of partisan politics - and that exists everywhere.

Here's a man in 2012 who endorses candidates that believe women who are raped must go full term and believes homosexuals engage in sinful behaviour? That is what Americans want?

Not "Americans," as Americans encompass a diversity of people; I could never vote for someone who doesn't believe all Americans deserve equal rights, so it's not what "Americans" want. Again. I believe there are people in other nations who feel the same way - I think the biggest difference is that American politicians talk about it - put it out there more. Is that a bad thing? At least we know where they stand, and that helps me when making my decision as to who to vote for.

I can understand fully Americans saying they reject Obama economic policies. I get it. I do not get the racist comments. I also do not get the phobia about medical insurance for seniors or this preoccupation about the poor ripping off the government. I do not get it , I do not get how some Americans think the way to deal with the poor is to dismiss them and pretend they do not exist and have no legitimate rights if they do not work or make sufficient money.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from. "Americans" certainly don't feel that way. Some likely do. But it's not the way "Americans" feel. As a social Democrat who leans more conservative fiscally, I will say that I'm tired of handouts to people who could be working; people who play the system I think that's what "Americans" are critical of.

I do not get the idea that unemployed Americans are somehow evil and inferior. I think for Romneyt to call Obama divisive while saying he has written off 47% of Americans is the height of hypocracy.

I don't think Americans at large think unemployed Americans are somehow evil and inferior. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I don't like the idea that 47% of Americans don't have to pay any federal income taxes as I'm not in the well off category by any means, but I'm in the 53% who pay federal income taxes. When you've got that many people paying into the system while there are that many not paying in (and yes, I realize the retired are in that number so I am not referring to them - and of course some of them are in the 53%), there's bound to be some criticism. I think we need to go after the rich for more taxes/less loopholes, but I think we also need to look at the other end, and see what kind of abuses are taking place there.

Now finally I detest those saying Obama is not friendly enough to Israel.Joe Biden was and remains a great ally of Israel and was rudely and unjustly snubbed by Netanyahu causing Obama to avoid going there and I do not blame him.The Israeli opposition was enraged with Netenyahu's treatment of Joe Biden and many of us who support Israel including Israelis find Netanyahu's go it alone confrontatiomnal approach to foreign relations counter- productive.

I believe Netanyahu failed miserably to take advantage of alliance offers from Obama and the former French President and humiliated them both. I agree with Tzipi Levni's concise criticism of his foreign policy and alienation of badly needed allies.

I am not worried if Obama is relected. I do not think he is anti Israeli. I do think his Middle East advisor zbigniew Brezinski is and is an outdated cold war anti Russian menace, I also believe if Hilary Clinton quits a vacuum opens but I believe Israel is not afraid of Obama and knows he is dealing with prickly bully in Netanyahu. I also believe beneath all the posturing Obama and Netanyahu will work together.

I agree.

I think if Romney is elected Netanyahu will be happy but I can't see foreign policy changing,Obama is upfront.Romney is less than straightforward , The majority of his supporters are against any intervention with Iran. Right of left, Americans do not want a war.

Again, I agree.

Israel is on its own. Always has bee. As good an ally as the US is, it has its own interests that conflict with Israel's. That is only normal.

I believe Americans demo or repub for the most part are good friends of Israel unlike many other nations. They have a right to disagree and that disagreement is healthy. Its needed. You need your friends to tell you what they think not what you want to hear.

Again, totally agree.

I am a person who has followed American history and my favourite Pres was Truman, than FDR, than Eisenhower. I liked Clinton against for his policies with China. I obviously would be a democrat as an American but I Iiked Colin Powell and McCain who are Republicans and Eisenhower.

I like Powell, too; I have a lot of respect for him. I liked McCain, too, and may have voted that way if Palin weren't on the ticket.

Sure I worry about the US. If you guys have a bad collapse so goes the Canadian economy far too dependent on the US.

I think the whole world will hold its breath and will be relieved if the status quo continues. Sometimes change in a world racked by it, is unwelcome.

I do not doubt Obama has made mistakes but I hope his people give him a second chance.

Can't find much to disagree with there.

In any event I wish you Yanks well and hope for positive things and continued world leadership from the U.S.

Thank you. smile.png

bill kristol's neocon group "emergency committee for israel" is conducting robocalls where they patch together audio from different obama & bibi speeches into a "debate" between the two on iran where obama sides with iran over israel. these people spent the past year pressuring obama to set a firm redline to send an unequivocal message on the nuclear issue, now they are mashing up his speeches to confuse for political purposes. sick.

http://blogs.jta.org...robocall-debate

Edited by bud

Guest American Woman
Fans boo, walk out during Madonna concert after pro-Obama remarks

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz2AgQGJQoV

Some fans booed and walked out of Madonna’s concert Saturday night in New Orleans after she made pro-Obama remarks onstage, the Associated Press reports.

“Who’s registered to vote? I don’t care who you vote for, as long as you vote for Obama,” she said.

When concert-goers started to boo, Madonna said, “Seriously, I don’t care who you vote for … Do not take this privilege for granted. Go vote.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz2AgQ3fzRt

Sounds as if there was a lot more cheering than booing to me:

I wasn't under the impression you could read. Lol. I may disagree with Bush Chaney on many topics but I respect the

fact he does not code his words on this forum and speaks his mind.

I also happen to respect American Women's comments because unlike me she states her views without getting annoyed

at people like you who believe they have a monopoly on righteousness and political correctness.

I respect many people who are Republican, The fact I do not agree with trickle down economic theory does not mean I disrespect them,

I appreciate many people do not like Obama economics and are not racist because of it either.

I myself just do not see any real difference between Obama and Harper so when I see so many Canadians dissing Obama for being

left wing while they think embrace Harper, to me is hypocracy. They have pretty much the same policies. To think you can go back

to deregulating medical care and banks and financial activities in this climate is insane.

To vote for someone who has no specifics as to his plans to me is irresponsible.

All of you supporting Romney should at least have some specifics as to what he stands for, You don't.All he has delivered is vague promises

without specifics. Oh I read his web site. Its insulting.Not an iota of substance as to economic plans.

In any event I wish Americans well and respect their right to vote who they vote for.

I wasn't under the impression you could read. Lol. I may disagree with Bush Chaney on many topics but I respect the

I also happen to respect American Women's comments because unlike me she states her views without getting annoyed

at people like you who believe they have a monopoly on righteousness and political correctness.

I respect many people who are Republican, The fact I do not agree with trickle down economic theory does not mean I disrespect them,

I appreciate many people do not like Obama economics and are not racist because of it either.

I myself just do not see any real difference between Obama and Harper so when I see so many Canadians dissing Obama for being

left wing while they think embrace Harper, to me is hypocracy. They have pretty much the same policies. To think you can go back

to deregulating medical care and banks and financial activities in this climate is insane.

To vote for someone who has no specifics as to his plans to me is irresponsible.

All of you supporting Romney should at least have some specifics as to what he stands for, You don't.All he has delivered is vague promises

without specifics. Oh I read his web site. Its insulting.Not an iota of substance as to economic plans.

In any event I wish Americans well and respect their right to vote who they vote for.

I wasn't under the impression you could read. Lol.

You have a lot of impressions, many of them incorrect.

I may disagree with Bush Chaney on many topics but I respect the

BC_2004 does not code his words? Laughable.

She does not get annoyed? Hilarious.

I don't respect any of these labels, the modern concept of a Republican is far thrown from it's original intent and mantra.

I could not care if he was blue, Obama has helped take the USA down another notch on the post. As Bush did before and as Romney will do after.

There really is not many differences between most western leaders and it is a concerted effort among these countries for a common goal, whatever that real goal is. There really are not many differences between Romney and Obama either Once a POTUS is 'elected', the campaign promises in line with Policy will be allowed to go through. Campaign promises not in line with existing Policy will not go through. See Obama and GITMO for one.

Edited by GostHacked

Guest American Woman
I myself just do not see any real difference between Obama and Harper so when I see so many Canadians dissing Obama for being left wing while they think embrace Harper, to me is hypocracy. They have pretty much the same policies. To think you can go back to deregulating medical care and banks and financial activities in this climate is insane.

I think Obama is more of a social liberal than Harper is. Perhaps you are speaking of their fiscal policies?

It's taking a chance, for sure. I suppose some figure that they know they don't like Obama's policies, so they'll take a chance on Romney, and I'm guessing that's what Romney is hoping for - it's almost as if he feels that the less he says, the better. At least that's how it comes across.

All of you supporting Romney should at least have some specifics as to what he stands for, You don't.All he has delivered is vague promises without specifics. Oh I read his web site. Its insulting.Not an iota of substance as to economic plans.

A lot of the "support" I see for Romney isn't so much support for him as it is criticism for Obama.

Again, thank you - and bottom line, the POTUS is just one branch of our government, so it's good to know that neither Obama nor Romney, whoever wins, will have carte blanche to run all over existing policies.

What are the latest predictions for the Senate and House of Representative elections? I mean, how likely is it that the winner of the presidential election ends up being a lame duck unable to do really anything because the opposing party controls Congress?

Guest American Woman

What are the latest predictions for the Senate and House of Representative elections? I mean, how likely is it that the winner of the presidential election ends up being a lame duck unable to do really anything because the opposing party controls Congress?

A lame duck is a sitting president who is finishing his term, after another president has already been elected; the sitting president is referred to as a lame duck during the time between the election and the swearing in.

I think Obama is more of a social liberal than Harper is. Perhaps you are speaking of their fiscal policies?

Please show me what social conservative policies Harper has imposed on Canada. He has a majority of House and Senate he can pretty much do as he pleases.

Is gay marriage banned in Canada as the left said it would be?

Is abortion banned in Canada as the left said it would be?

If not, why not? After all Harper is supposed to be the big bad neo con and all.

Guest American Woman

Please show me what social conservative policies Harper has imposed on Canada. He has a majority of House and Senate he can pretty much do as he pleases.

If not, why not? After all Harper is supposed to be the big bad neo con and all.

Riiiight. Harper has the power to pretty much do as he pleases.

Let me refresh your memory:

"Real Canadian values" eh? His beliefs are his beliefs, regardless - and I can't imagine Obama speaking of banning gay marriage as the "Real American values."

Riiiight. Harper has the power to pretty much do as he pleases.

Let me refresh your memory:

"Real Canadian values" eh? His beliefs are his beliefs, regardless - and I can't imagine Obama speaking of banning gay marriage as the "Real American values."

I agree. Mitt Romney is much closer, in style and substance to Stephen Harper.

A lame duck is a sitting president who is finishing his term, after another president has already been elected; the sitting president is referred to as a lame duck during the time between the election and the swearing in.

Lame duck: A lame duck is an elected official who is approaching the end of his or her tenure, and especially an official whose successor has already been elected.

So, yes, if Romney wins then Obama would be a lame duck until the swearing in ceremony in January, 2013 (question for jbg - would Mitt use his middle name for the swearing in? tongue.png ).

If Obama wins then he would approach lame duck status towards the end of his second term since he cannot be re-elected as President (i.e. reaching the end of his tenure).

Perhaps a bit looser definition (or perhaps too literal wink.png ) but I think there are times it does apply.

Edited by msj

Except that we are talking about two different political landscapes. Canada's population is much less socially conservative, proportionally speaking. By not implementing his personal views Harper gains more in support than he loses in alienating a portion of his base.

Romney actually needs his socially-conservative base. Contrary to Harper's predicament, it's politically advantageous for him to appease them to some extent.

I'm not saying he'll ban abortion and SSM, but he has a lot more motivation to make some restrictions at least. Harper would have too if it would have helped him.

Edited by BC_chick