Gas pushing $1:40 L

Guest Peeves

If you look at the 401 every morning. Plenty of people work far from where they live.

I suppose it comes down to lifestyle choices.... I choose not to commute and sit in traffic everyday. It saves me money.... it saves me time... and it saves me aggravation. I wouldn't have it any other way.

She also made the point that as the population spreads out, traffic isn't getting as bad as it used to be.

Your momma is incorrect. Densification, not urban sprawl, is what alleviates traffic congestion.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public Transit actually costs more than gas.

And if you can bike and walk to work, the price of gas is irrelevant to you.

Most people don't live within walking distance of work and if they do, what about winter?

Er... what about winter? Are you implying people can't walk outside in the winter?

Perhaps move closer to work if this is an issue.... :rolleyes:

Why would anyone live 20km+ from their work? That's just plain dumb!

If you need to take 6 busses to get to work, then you picked a dumb place to live. You should have looked at that before you bought there....

Who wants to pay $400k for a 600sq ft concrete box, maybe with 1 bedroom? That's just plain dumb!

Burlington, ON is the #2 place in Canada to live. Condo's in the #2 place to live in Canada, as my friend was just looking, can be found for the low $200's. How many years of commuting would it take to make that smaller/more expensive concrete box in Toronto (#96) to be worthwhile? All while enjoying a lower standard of living, breathing that smelly big city air?

Living outside of the city and carpooling. Cheaper than living in the city and using transit. Just saying :)

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Who wants to pay $400k for a 600sq ft concrete box, maybe with 1 bedroom? That's just plain dumb!

Burlington, ON is the #2 place in Canada to live. Condo's in the #2 place to live in Canada, as my friend was just looking, can be found for the low $200's. How many years of commuting would it take to make that smaller/more expensive concrete box in Toronto (#96) to be worthwhile? All while enjoying a lower standard of living, breathing that smelly big city air?

Living outside of the city and carpooling. Cheaper than living in the city and using transit. Just saying :)

Then one shouldn't bitch about the long commute and the price of gas if that is what one chooses to do.... just sayin.

Perhaps move closer to work if this is an issue.... :rolleyes:

Why would anyone live 20km+ from their work? That's just plain dumb!

If you need to take 6 busses to get to work, then you picked a dumb place to live. You should have looked at that before you bought there....

Plain dumb you are right, but guess what, with more people losing their jobs, and in some places there are no jobs so they have to travel. I know of one guy, that's two hours away for a part time job and he doesn't make enough money to pay for the gas he uses, dumb yeah, so what does it do, go on welfare and then you guys can *itch about that? What happens in the big cities is total different in rural Canada.

Plain dumb you are right, but guess what, with more people losing their jobs, and in some places there are no jobs so they have to travel. I know of one guy, that's two hours away for a part time job and he doesn't make enough money to pay for the gas he uses, dumb yeah, so what does it do, go on welfare and then you guys can *itch about that? What happens in the big cities is total different in rural Canada.

Is that the same guy you cited a few weeks ago in another thread? The guy that works 1 day a week? Perhaps he should get a second part-time job then, or move somewhere where the jobs are.

From what I hear, it's refining capacity that's the issue more than available crude.

And we had/have these oil companies closing refineries at the same time!!(See Petro-Canada's Oakville refinery...

So,we have oil companies acting in concert and raising prices at the same time...We have them closing refineries,all the while,claiming there is'nt enough refining capacity...We have had successive federal governments giving these upstanding entities tax breaks galore!!!...And ,we have had successive federal governments do absolutely nothing about the Competition Act (ie.breaking up the four major oil companies)...

And the proponents of this still think everything is OK and the gas retail market isn't being rigged???

har! har!

Then again, I'm not the one complaining about gas prices, am I, chuckles?

Either have I. But I'm not the one telling other people where they should live, what they should drive, what they should eat and what they should buy.

Then one shouldn't bitch about the long commute and the price of gas if that is what one chooses to do.... just sayin.

So, because you live in the city where crime rates are higher.

You shouldn't bitch if you become a victim of crime.

Just sayin', you made that choice ;)

Living outside of the city and carpooling. Cheaper than living in the city and using transit. Just saying

So, what you're saying is we need better public transit. I agree. Public transit in North America blows.

Either have I. But I'm not the one telling other people where they should live, what they should drive, what they should eat and what they should buy.

I'm not telling people what they "should" do either. If people want to complain about the price of gas, there's steps they can take to mitigate the effects of high prices.

These volatile energy prices seem like a scam to me. During the summer oil companies will be selling oil that they actually purchased futures for a few months ago. The whole point of a futures market is to smooth over price volatility resulting from fluctuating demand.

ITs bogus for them to use peak demand as the justification for these wild price swings because none of the refineries are paying the spot price anyways. They bought all this oil last winter... most of it through futures on the mercantile exchange.