Protest against the LCBO -- Liquor Control Board of Ontario

Slow Clap Ontario Government.

I like how the Beer Store brass are crying poor. They couldn't possibly afford to pay for the right to have a monopoly of beer sales above 6-packs and the ability to give preferential shelf space to your brands while other brewers are simply a label on a big wall.

If a francise fee would put them out of business then they should allow someone else to buy their outlets.

If you're not making money charging $40 for a case for Molson Canadian, then you're doing it wrong.

Yes and no about the slow clap. The TD analyst indicated that the Ontario government could extract more from The Beer Store and private wine vendors, but recommended that the distribution network remain as is. So...who cares?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When ever I hear a politician say "social responsibility" I get nervous.

What scares me more is that even with a monopoly and have billions coming in they have no concept of a business model.

To not take advantage of the enormous buying power to get the product at a lower price is business 101.

Either that money is being hidden or they really are that bad at running it.

I have no grand ideas to lower prices.That would be crazy talk.

NO Clap for Wynne.

The usual response from her government.... increase the tax instead of doing the right thing, which is to simply end the monopoly and privatize the sale of a commodity. It is doubly stupid because it is essentially a price control on that commdoity, since the unending fight must now commence over the retail price of beer.

I'm for privatization, but I acknowledge that all undesirable alcohol related activities will increase a little when it happens. More minors will be served, more tanked people will get it, alcoholism will rise slightly, etc.

None of those things happened in Alberta since privatization of retail sales 20 years ago.

The rules did not change for bars, they still are responsible for checking IDS and maintaining order and controlling patrons. There are infractions now, but there were infractions before too. Nobody risks their license to serve alcohol because they buy the booze somewhere else. Their license requirements are the same either way.

No more minors are served at stores now than before. The reason is that private stores have a much greater incentive than public stores for not selling to minors: their license and investment and livelihood depends on it. What would happen to a public booze store for serving minors? Financially, nothing that matters.

Where are the stats on privatization increasing alcoholism?

• 2 weeks later...

Paging Boges, Boges to the thread

The Beer Store’s secret sweetheart deal with LCBO revealed

Its bureaucratic wording spells out precisely how beer drinkers shall be gouged. The core of the scheme comes in the section that sharply delineates “Beer Selling Roles” for the two rival distributors — one government-owned and the other privately run — to sharply limit any competition between them.
“Consistent with historical practice, LCBO will not sell beer . . . in packages containing more than 6 containers,” the document declares.
Another clause spells out the architecture of noncompetition: The LCBO will not sell to restaurants and bars any of the major brands not carried in its regular stores, thus giving the big brewers unchallenged power to gouge the food and beverage industry with their market muscle (which they do by setting prices, and profit margins, unconscionably higher than in most other provinces or in regular Beer Store outlets).
Sales territories are also sharply circumscribed: If The Beer Store decides to move into growing communities, the LCBO will retreat to make way: “Existing LCBO store is to revert to a … 6-pack store and will carry package sizes no greater than 6 containers.”

Been reading this in the Star the last few days.

They're still blaming Harris for stuff like this. It wasn't Harris that brought in minimum pricing that allowed the Beer Store to maintain their profits.

The big problem with the Beer Store is that they often just ignore other brands. The top brands are the ones you can actually pick up without asking for it to be brought forward on a conveyor belt like the old Consumer Distributing.

Can't blame the Beer Store for trying to keep their profits high. It's the LCBO that was complicit in this agreement, it's them and the current Liberal regime that has been consistently opposed to change using the lie of social responsibility as an excuse.

• 2 weeks later...

The Beer Store "Sweetheart Deal" story has actually got some legs.

Last week Wynne said changes would be made in the Spring budget in how the province deals with the Beer Store. I saw a double page ad in the Sun this weekend from the Beer Store saying how great they are.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2014/12/19/kathleen_wynne_warns_change_looms_for_the_beer_store.html

None of this will result in better prices though. I've already pretty much written off The Beer Store unless I'm going to a party or returning empties.

Most LCBOs aren't really equipped to handle huge cases of beer so I'm not sure how that will change. I guess the provincial coffers will see a bump if the Beer Store is forced to pay more and told not to pass the hike to the consumer. I guess that will hurt service, as if Beer Store service could get any worse.

None of this will result in better prices though. I've already pretty much written off The Beer Store unless I'm going to a party or returning empties.

It's still cheaper to get beer there than at the LCBO.

Most LCBOs aren't really equipped to handle huge cases of beer so I'm not sure how that will change. I guess the provincial coffers will see a bump if the Beer Store is forced to pay more and told not to pass the hike to the consumer. I guess that will hurt service, as if Beer Store service could get any worse.

What sort of service is required? I go in, I pick up a case of beer off the shelf, and bring it to the counter to pay. As long as you're not going in at predictably busy hours, you don't even have to wait. I don't like the gouging. That's my beef. If we're going to be gouged, at least let it be going to public coffers.

It's still cheaper to get beer there than at the LCBO.

What sort of service is required? I go in, I pick up a case of beer off the shelf, and bring it to the counter to pay. As long as you're not going in at predictably busy hours, you don't even have to wait. I don't like the gouging. That's my beef. If we're going to be gouged, at least let it be going to public coffers.

The Beer Store usually only has beers that are made by the owners on display. If you want something else you have to ask for it. It comes from the back on a conveyor belt.

It's only cheaper because a case is usually cheaper, per beer. I've taken to buying individual tall boys at the LCBO.

The Beer Store usually only has beers that are made by the owners on display. If you want something else you have to ask for it. It comes from the back on a conveyor belt.

It's only cheaper because a case is usually cheaper, per beer. I've taken to buying individual tall boys at the LCBO.

The newer (and larger) Beer Stores let you walk right into the freezer section and pick your own cases out.

Regardless, the Beer Store is ridiculously lucrative monopoly and right now the customers are getting nothing in exchange for it. It's a racket and there's no reason for it to continue in its current form.

So you're a fan of the Beer Store experience?

I cannot for the life of me figure out (not that anyone need o) how one minor correction shot your way, and a reply that isnt even relevant equates to me being a fan of the beer store.

You should remember quite well my stance . At first I was pretty much ...meh, who cares. Then I started following along with your posts and told you I had a switch of minds and agreed ti was time to change.

Then the report that came out in early December was the straw.

I have no worries if it changes now. I dont want corner store beer though.

But all that said, it is, for ME , very convenient, easy to use, easy to get to. And if ou go back where I admitted I drink CDN but normally Alex Keith's, youll find Black Dog told me my tastebuds are shite then.

(they prob are, but I like those, but this xmas I splurged and bought ZYWIEC from Poland <------is that any good BD? :) )

Edited by Guyser2

I like my local liquor store in sunny AB. It has about 600 different kinds of beer in stock. Six hundred.

It's yet another example of how privatization destroys choice.

God Bless the Beer Store for protecting you from capitalism in Ontario.

I don't keep that many in stock. The clientele around here is pretty much bud and bud light exclusively. Still, that doesn't stop us from being the 4th busiest rural vendor in Manitoba though.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/01/07/the_beer_store_to_open_up_ownership_to_craft_breweries.html

In a surprise move, The Beer Store, a private retailer run by three major foreign-based breweries, is opening up its ownership to Ontario craft brewers.

The decision comes after a Star investigation and against the backdrop of Premier Kathleen Wynne’s threats to dismantle the beer monopoly unless more money pours into the treasury.

“We heard from Ontario brewers that they wanted to participate in the management of The Beer Store and contribute to its future success. That’s why we’re opening up the system and making it even more transparent,” Stewart Glendinning, CEO of Molson Coors Canada, said in a statement Wednesday.

“The Beer Store is truly becoming Ontario-owned,” added Labatt Breweries Canada President Jan Craps.

“Ontario brewers will be represented on the board and share in decision-making. All owners will have the same or better costs to sell in The Beer Store than the current owners,” said Craps.

They can feel the heat now!

Nothing the Beer Store can do will make me want to actually go there unless I need more than a 6-pack or I need to return empties. It's a joyless pathetic place to spend money.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/01/07/the_beer_store_to_open_up_ownership_to_craft_breweries.html

They can feel the heat now!

Nothing the Beer Store can do will make me want to actually go there unless I need more than a 6-pack or I need to return empties. It's a joyless pathetic place to spend money.

Was just reading that under this new plan Molson and Co. will still have a 2:1 edge on the board of directors and teh Executive Committee. It's a fig leaf. There's no reason for this store to even exist.

I have no worries if it changes now. I dont want corner store beer though.

Just out of curiosity I have to ask why not Guyser? We have a store in Thornton that sells beer and other types of alcohol, it really is great to be able to pick up a few brews when all the other places are closed.

We have the same situation in Southern Ontario around Lake Erie. Being designated a "tourist area" you can purchase beer and liquor outside of LCBO hours and on weekends and holidays in designated grocery stores. The local Aboriginal Reserve is voting on allowing liquor sales on the reserve - looks like its gonna pass. So now we will be able to buy really cheap tax free rollies and really cheap liquor very soon.

Common down and spend some time on the beach, smoke your brains out and drown all your troubles at a very reasonable cost!

I jut get tired of being treated like a unruly child.

Why are the people in other provinces more mature and responsible that their elected government can trust them to actually buy beer at a store?

Why are we the people in Ontario so childish and uncontrollable that we can only buy beer and alcohol from the LCBO and The Beer Store?

I ask what is wrong with us?