Ezra Levant Confronts Occupiers

lukin

I just watched the Levant video. He makes a lot of points that the "Occupy" protesters would have trouble answering. Such as how a tent has Charter rights. In our country there would be an issue of "unreasonable searches and seizures". Some Justices take the view that the Fourth Amendment applies to people, not places. However, the issue in our country is the "reasonable expectation of privacy" of people in certain places; those expectations would be different in a home, in a public place, or in a car.

I would think that any rational court (not the Communist court system in some cities) would find that a person in a park has little or no expectation of privacy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the Levant video. He makes a lot of points that the "Occupy" protesters would have trouble answering. Such as how a tent has Charter rights. In our country there would be an issue of "unreasonable searches and seizures". Some Justices take the view that the Fourth Amendment applies to people, not places. However, the issue in our country is the "reasonable expectation of privacy" of people in certain places; those expectations would be different in a home, in a public place, or in a car.

I would think that any rational court (not the Communist court system in some cities) would find that a person in a park has little or no expectation of privacy.

This isn't the US.

Invasion of privacy INCLUDES entering their home (which a tent temporarily is) or using infrared cameras to spy on them, whther or not they are home. In Canada it is a crime called "break and enter" even if the door is unlocked. (Although I suppose in the US it is called "Homeland Security" since they get away with anything.)

Quoting inarticulate Occupiers means as much as quoting inarticulate Tea Partiers.

There is a protest movement and in both examples - quoting them doesn't speak to the legitimacy of the movement as a whole. The movements exist, and they exist because people are angry and want to express themselves.

This isn't the US.

Invasion of privacy INCLUDES entering their home (which a tent temporarily is) or using infrared cameras to spy on them, whther or not they are home. In Canada it is a crime called "break and enter" even if the door is unlocked. (Although I suppose in the US it is called "Homeland Security" since they get away with anything.)

Last I checked the tents were on public property. How does that constitute a "home"?

Ezra is an idiot.

Having met him in New York City I find him detestable, but hardly an idiot.

I had the unfortunate experience of watching him a few weeks ago. He was among the occupiers but did not seem to quite understand what The Peoples Microphone was really all about.

What is the Peoples' Microphone?

Edited by jbg

Quoting inarticulate Occupiers means as much as quoting inarticulate Tea Partiers.

That protester gives the word "inarticulate" new meaning. I mean calling the police a "government run gang"? Makes Peggy Nash sound rational.

Last I checked the tents were on public property. How does that constitute a "home"?

Under Canadian law, places being used as a domicile regardless where they happen to be planted are protected under the privacy protections under the Charter. If you own an RV and it is parked in a parking lot but you are sleeping int the police (or anyone else) would require a search warrant to enter. Just like the tents. They are private places of residence regarless if they are in a public park or not.

Yes Levant is an idiot. The protesters should have him charged with break and enter, and sue him for invasion of their personal privacy.

Ezra is an idiot. I had the unfortunate experience of watching him a few weeks ago. He was among the occupiers but did not seem to quite understand what The Peoples Microphone was really all about.

Ezra just ripped off Peter schiff. At least schiff did his interviews fairly and treated them with respect as to have a proper debate. Ezra saw Anderson Cooper and a litbulb went off.

Ezra is a delusional moron.

:lol:

I'll take your word for that.

His "equality" and "lawlessness" campaign rings a bell ... Christie Blatchford perhaps?

He's a blowhard with an audience, some of them dangerously angry and single minded.

I'm happy to hear he's going after the Mayors.

They and the police and their communities need to have the public conversations about who gives orders to the police.

I'd like to know that too! :)

Ezra Levant is a very brave man who reminds of our beloved leader and father figure Stephen Harper.

Mr. Levant chose to brave the crime ridden encampment to bring us the truth. These encampments have been plagued with crime including rape. That's right these occupy people have been raping each other to some extent. Which is terrible imo.

Ezra is sad because he went to Occupy and no one wanted to "R" him.

Ezra is sad because he went to Occupy and no one wanted to "R" him.

Oooooo ... that's a terrible thing to say!

But funny ... :lol:

Ezra is part of the anti-Constitution ranters who despise everyone's constitutional rights but their own.

He belongs to the cadre that includes white supremacists who claim that freedom of speech must include hate speech.

They also believe that freedom of speech means we have to listen to them. :lol:

I visited the Occupy camp here in Calgary a few days ago to take some photographs and was surprised with what I saw. For the most part what I did see was homeless people who were occupying the camp simply because they had no other place TO occupy. As for the ones who seemed legit, well they merely mulled about, not talking with those of us who were there waiting to hear something...anything. I thought they would be pushing their issues, attempting to educate the masses. But nope, they sat about sipping their Timmies, faces buried in their cell phones.

I tend to agree then that most protesters in these camps don't know the issues, and for the most part don't care. I got the feeling some were a part of it just to be a part of it. I call it bandwagon syndrome...time for them to move on.

Edited by Shep

I love how people still pursue the logical fallacy of focusing on the protesters themselves, rather than the arguments that have been made.

I thought it was a just feigned naivete and even a little cute at first but I'm starting to think a lot of people really don't get it. That they're not faking actually makes things immeasurably worse. How bad will things have to get it before it sinks in?

I thought it was a just feigned naivete and even a little cute at first but I'm starting to think a lot of people really don't get it. That they're not faking actually makes things immeasurably worse. How bad will things have to get it before it sinks in?

That is a very good question and I suppose for some it depends on how powerful the overall effect of the ideology is as an ordering agent for life/reality/whatnot.

For sure, some get it and will oppose it for argument's sake, to develop and expand on ideas. Others are simply clueless, but possess the intellectual capacity to see beyond mere ideology to come to an understanding. Then there are those, usually boomers or "me generation," who are so self-interested they can't see past their nose. They understand the issues conceptually, but since those issues do not impact on them personally, the issues simply cannot be true. These are the scariest of the lot.