game of thrones

blueblood

My thanks to kimmy for her interesting posts regarding the series.

Aw, thanks. :) Glad to hear you enjoyed it too.

My one question is if hbo does the whole series what's going to happen when they finish season five and the sixth book will probably not be written yet. To me that grinds my gears, quitting something halfway through.

Well, the 5th book just hit stores a couple of weeks ago. If they do one book a year, that'll give him 5 years to finish the next one.

It is encouraging that George R.R. Martin is heavily involved in the series. He is working with the screenwriters in adapting the story, wrote an episode (and will write another), is involved in the casting (he raved about the 6'3 actress they cast as a character called Briene of Tarn), and is even attending conventions with the actors and producers. It gives one hope that it will continue to be a high-quality representation of the books.

Martin has also written for TV before, and understands the limits. An interview I read said that he had written an episode for a show ("The New Twilight Zone", maybe) that called for knights on horseback at Stonehenge. The producer checked the budget and told him "you can have horses, or you can have Stonehenge. You can't have both." Benioff and Weiss say they have lots of "horses or Stonehenge" challenges facing them in season 2.

-k

Edited by kimmy

Aw, thanks. :) Glad to hear you enjoyed it too.

Well, the 5th book just hit stores a couple of weeks ago. If they do one book a year, that'll give him 5 years to finish the next one.

True. Except if the last book is anything to go by, 5 years won't be enough for him to get off his ass and actually write it. Not to mention, that only delays the inevitable by 1 year: the sixth book wont be the finale.

That being said, my copy of the 5th book is arriving tomorrow. Can't wait :)

Edited by Bonam

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Season Two has been really good.

Arya's storyline has been the most compelling so far. Rat/Bucket/Chest/Fire torture? Did Martin think that up on his own? Hope Dick Cheney wasn't watching. :huh:

Midget is bad ass.

I'm glad we're finally moving forward with the Hot Blonde with the dragons.

I am optimistic that the success of the show may actually drive him to finish the next book sooner than the last. If he is happy with the show, it could be a powerful motivator to keep him going.

Well the success of The Walking Dead has made the actual Comic it's based on really crappy, as of late.

I hear the third book is the best of the series so far and it's going to be impossible to make it into one season. So he has 4 or 5 years to finish two books. 2 seasons for the third book and you can assume a year for each of the remaining 3 books.

Edited by Boges

I haven't started watching yet either, as I'm saving it until I've cleared a couple of other things off my to-do list. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with Dany and her babies.

-k

I'm a bit disappointed with this show since its return. The pacing is off, like watching a chess game for an hour each week where each player only moves one piece. Still some great elements (Tyrion owns), though.

Slightly off-pace, I agree, though the fourth episode was incredible (and maybe the most brutal of the entire series so far, what with the torturers, and with Joffrey's nasty little sex-violence game.

And yes, Tyrion shines, definitely.

Slightly off-pace, I agree, though the fourth episode was incredible (and maybe the most brutal of the entire series so far, what with the torturers, and with Joffrey's nasty little sex-violence game.

And yes, Tyrion shines, definitely.

I haven't read the books, but I gather the character of Roz the prostitute isn't in them, yet she's all over the damn show. Meanwhile it's taken Danyerys four episodes to move, like, 10 kilomteres.

Edited by Black Dog

I haven't read the books, but I gather the character of Roz the prostitute isn't in them, yet she's all over the damn show. Meanwhile it's taken Danyerys four episodes to move, like, 10 kilomteres.

Yeah but she's got nice boobs. :unsure:

Apparently that guy Stannis didn't get busy with the Ginger Witch in the book either.

Regarding Danyerys, They only had two scenes with her in the first three episodes, that's why, I think we'll see more of her going forward.

If you notice you'll have full episodes where certain characters aren't even shown. Didn't see Jon Snow this week, Didn't see Rob at all last week.

The book is written in chapters from a character's perspective. So a character will be labled Jon Snow, Arya, Jamie Lannister, Danyerys etc. So we can assume a scene is trying to jam a chapter or so into it.

Presumably the show's writers/creators have the larger story in their scopes, and are trying to navigate it to what they feel is most fitting for the medium. Apparently, the author himself is part of the process, as consultant or what have you.

That said, I agree there are some pacing issues so far. (Though not to the egregious extent of The Walking Dead, which went seriously awry.)

She is in the book but not to the same extent.

I believe your prudishness has already been noted. Perhaps you should read the books so you can self-censor more easily. :P

As for the scenes she has been in - they make perfect sense when one thinks about what Martin (who is part of the TV series) has to accomplish in taking a 800 page book and condense it into 10 episodes.

The extent of Joffey's monstrosity is complete.

The scars Tyrion has and how this leads him to try and protect women is also now well established (although we will see that even Tyrion has his limits - although I think that is book 3, or perhaps 4).

She is in the book but not to the same extent.

Ros does not appear in the books and is the first character created specifically for the show. However, some fans have speculated that her role is based on the 'red-headed whore' who appears very briefly in the first novel.

-Link
I believe your prudishness has already been noted. Perhaps you should read the books so you can self-censor more easily. :P

Don't be dumb. It's nowt to do with prudishness. It's the extent to which the T&A in the series exists to titillate and not to advance the plot. The long scene in the whorehouse in ep 3 is a perfect example. Didn't advance the plot, didn't teach us anything about the characters.

As for the scenes she has been in - they make perfect sense when one thinks about what Martin (who is part of the TV series) has to accomplish in taking a 800 page book and condense it into 10 episodes.

The extent of Joffey's monstrosity is complete.

The scars Tyrion has and how this leads him to try and protect women is also now well established (although we will see that even Tyrion has his limits - although I think that is book 3, or perhaps 4).

Not really: I would think condensing a huge epic would mean paring down, not padding. Again, we've learned nothing we didn't already know about Littlefinger, about Joffery, about Tyrion.

Not really: I would think condensing a huge epic would mean paring down, not padding. Again, we've learned nothing we didn't already know about Littlefinger, about Joffery, about Tyrion.

I don't agree at all in regards to Roz. She's been used effectively three times this season.

In the first episode they showed that she's advanced to training the "ladies" then they go into the whole killing of Robert's Bastards kids, that leads us to remind everyone that Gendry is with Arya on their way to the wall.

Second scene showed how Littlefinger is a douche and has no sympathy for the emotion of Roz.

And the third scene was the best example to date of what a sadist Joffery is.

In the first season she was also used effectively to illustrate how big a perv Theon is.

Edited by Boges

-Link

You conveniently left out this part:

However, some fans have speculated that her role is based on the 'red-headed whore' who appears very briefly in the first novel. This is strengthened by the fact that Bianco was originally announced as playing 'red-headed whore' and that the character was given a name at George R.R. Martin's suggestion. Martin has stated that he intends to work the character into later books in the series, probably as a throwaway cameo just to tie her presence into both the series and books.

Don't be dumb. It's nowt to do with prudishness. It's the extent to which the T&A in the series exists to titillate and not to advance the plot. The long scene in the whorehouse in ep 3 is a perfect example. Didn't advance the plot, didn't teach us anything about the characters.

Sometimes scenes are there not to advance the plot. Although I may have to see that scene again for a reminder (partially joking/partially not).

I think you are not seeing how it will advance the plot because you have not read all of the books so you don't really know, do you?

Not really: I would think condensing a huge epic would mean paring down, not padding.

You haven't read the books and you think you can justify this opinion? :lol:

Again, we've learned nothing we didn't already know about Littlefinger, about Joffery, about Tyrion.

Once again, you haven't read the books and you think you can justify this opinion? :lol:

The Arya story proves again to be the most compelling thread of this show. Now she's got an ally that will kill people for her and she has access to Tywin Lannister. Very interesting.

Qarth is a very nice place, why is Hot Blonde Khalesi so eager to leave? Wait till her dragons look more dangerous than an iguana before she goes back to Westeros.

Anyone else think Theon has turned into a pretty pathetic character?

Unlike shows like Spartacus. This show can be very compelling without violence and sex. The only violence in the episode happened in the first scene but yet I found myself entertained the entire hour.

Edited by Boges

I don't agree at all in regards to Roz. She's been used effectively three times this season.

In the first episode they showed that she's advanced to training the "ladies" then they go into the whole killing of Robert's Bastards kids, that leads us to remind everyone that Gendry is with Arya on their way to the wall.

She was more or less irrelevant to this scene.

Second scene showed how Littlefinger is a douche and has no sympathy for the emotion of Roz.

We already knew plenty about Littlefinger's moral turpitude from when he betrayed Ned in S1. This scned was just silly. All that was missing was a little mustache-twirling.

And the third scene was the best example to date of what a sadist Joffery is.

Joffery has so far lied about his attack on Arya (which led to her friend getting murdered by the Hound), executed Ned Stark, tried to drown one of his own knights in wine, and had his brde-to-be stripped while he pointed a crossbow at her head. Again, how many times are they going to beat us over the head with this stuff at the expense of actual plot development?

Edited by Black Dog

You conveniently left out this part:

Convinent? It just confirms what I'm saying. She's. Not. In. The. Books.

I think you are not seeing how it will advance the plot because you have not read all of the books so you don't really know, do you?

:facepalm: Given this character is not in the books, hard to see how reading the books would give us any insight as to how it will impact the plot.

You haven't read the books and you think you can justify this opinion?

Yeah, why not. They've already taken plenty of liberties with the source material in the interests of TV.

Once again, you haven't read the books and you think you can justify this opinion?

Yes. Anything else?

Well BD, you must have been happy that everyone's favourite busty northerner was left out of last night's episode. ;)

There was another scene in season one where they had her talking to Pycelle where he said "The thing about Kings". She was irrelevant to that scene but yeah we got to see boobies. So effin' what?