Federal Election Polls

Yup, they gave him a theme to run on.

In all seriousness, people are just sick of harper. I think a different leader would have been much more successful as the tories had a balanced budget, big trade agreements and the theme of people keeping more of what they earn.

And yet the Tories stuck with him, despite the improbability of a fourth term. And yet, when the best was clearly there 12 to 18 months ago, when even loyalists like Kenney seemed to be building support for a leadership run, they were overawed by Harper, and chose one man over the interests of the party.

All parties suffer this flaw to some extent, but the Tories have a real problem with authoritarian party management, much as the government is run that way. I agree that some policies were good, but even when they were they were so framed in partisan terms, that it poisoned them.

Frankly I think defeat would be good for the Tories. They need to find a leader, and hopefully a bit of backbone, because government of one man is bound completely to the voters' view of them, and policies become practically irrelevant.

I think they did work. I think they set the bar so low that Trudeau couldn't help but beat expectations.

Probably this.

Undoubtedly it backfired. Too bad JT didn't come out and say that it isn't easy to make priorities.

They did need a way to say "Hey look this guy is just running on the legacy of his father" without actually invoking the legacy of his father. JT himself had to run on the legacy of his father without actually invoking his father. (He did so once, and the polls went nuts.)

Primarily I think that the Liberal party has actually agreed to support this candidate, instead of constant infighting that has been present in the Liberal party since JC retired. The result, coupled with the country generally being sick of Harper's Conservatives, is what we are seeing: The Liberals resurgent.

I think the Conservatives are in for a bit of a headache over the next few years while trying to find the right candidate to replace Harper. Honestly I don't see anyone able to fill his shoes.

Probably this.

I think the Conservatives are in for a bit of a headache over the next few years while trying to find the right candidate to replace Harper. Honestly I don't see anyone able to fill his shoes.

Harper has not left much space for aspiring leaders in his party. Look at the British Conservatives, lining up to replace Cameron who has only just won his second election.

Frankly I think defeat would be good for the Tories. They need to find a leader, and hopefully a bit of backbone, because government of one man is bound completely to the voters' view of them, and policies become practically irrelevant.

Most certainly. It is reminiscent of what happened to the Liberals after Adscam. Today, it appears to me the Liberal Party is out of purgatory and has found new life.

The deficit has also returned to a small surplus which means that the debt will start getting lower again. Trudeau wants to spend excess money on a problem that cant be fixed by us if its even a problem at all. Unless trudeau can convince china to fire up its printing press and buy more resources.

The problem is with interest rates. If those rise significantly then this country is in trouble.

The whole planet will be in trouble if that happens.

Good news for Conservatives if Trudeau wins the election. Ontario always votes for a premier of the opposite party from the one leading Ottawa. If Trudeau wins, then you'll have a Conservative Ontario government soon enough.

I would pretty much take any government than Kathleen Wynne.

The tories need someone likeable. The only person i see with that would be snagging brad wall out of sk.

It would probably help. But when I see so many tory supporters constantly impugning the work ethic of non-tories, or declaring that progressives are just a bunch of 'entitled' twerps, and that climate change is just hysterical nonsense, it doesn't inspire me with good will toward the Conservative ideology. I have voted Conservative in the past, and up until this election had no issue doing so again in the future. But seeing so many mean-spirited views expressed by Tory supporters here and elsewhere has made me seriously rethink if I'd ever vote for them. They sound just like republicans who would pass a law dictating what someone on food stamps can buy for food.

bring back a semblance of the Progressive Conservatives... the party/policy that Stephen Harper turfed!

Justin Trudeau at a Nepean campaign stop yesterday: "We don’t need to convince them {Progressive Conservatives} to leave the Conservative Party, we just need to show them how Stephen Harper’s party has left them.

Looks like Harper will not be getting a majority. This means that Harper will probably resign and the party will swing back towards the center. MacKay may come back to run. There is a Progressive Conservative out there who has been the leader of the PC Party, has major contacts in Quebec and the Mulroney Clan. He speaks pretty good French and understands how to use Quebec.

In 1998, Charest was persuaded by the Conservative base to move to Quebec to shore up the support and undermine the separatists. He did so on the promise of support if he ever decided to come back to federal politics. Well, the separatists have been marginalized and Jean may decide to cash in his chits.

I would not be at all surprised to see Charest suddenly start to organize a base in Quebec.

Looks like Harper will not be getting a majority. This means that Harper will probably resign and the party will swing back towards the center. MacKay may come back to run. There is a Progressive Conservative out there who has been the leader of the PC Party, has major contacts in Quebec and the Mulroney Clan. He speaks pretty good French and understands how to use Quebec.

In 1998, Charest was persuaded by the Conservative base to move to Quebec to shore up the support and undermine the separatists. He did so on the promise of support if he ever decided to come back to federal politics. Well, the separatists have been marginalized and Jean may decide to cash in his chits.

I would not be at all surprised to see Charest suddenly start to organize a base in Quebec.

Charest is done. I cannot see how he would ever return to politics, or who would want him.

Similarly Mackay is done, destroyed by his own mediocrity and a not-very-subtle political assassination by the PMO.

I could possibly see someone like Moore or maybe even Baird returning, but I can't see Mackay coming back. He would not be acceptable to the Reform wing of the party (and neither, for that matter, would Charest). Whoever takes over the helm is going to have to be someone who can bridge the gap.