Mapleleafweb Will No Longer be Actively Maintained

Greg

• Forum Admin

After 11 years of publishing Canadian political educational materials on the Internet, Mapleleafweb.com will no longer be actively maintained. This decision was hard to make, but unfortunately finding additional funding sources to pay for the active development of the website was proving too difficult.

This project would have never been a success without the generous donations provided by the Max Bell Foundation, Arthur Child Foundation, Canada West Foundation, University of Lethbridge, David Elton Endowment and anonymous donors.

I also want to thank all those talented individuals who contributed to the Maple Leaf Web project over the past decade – your hard work and dedication made the project a big success.

This is not the end of Mapleleafweb - the website will still be available online and the discussion forums will still be open and moderated by volunteers.

It has been a great honor to work on this project and I firmly believe we added something valuable to the political discourse in Canada.

Thank you and farewell,

Greg Farries

Project Director

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Greg,

What changes, specifically, will be happening to MLW ?

Will the forums continue as before ?

This is not the end of Mapleleafweb - the website will still be available online and the discussion forums will still be open and moderated by volunteers.

Guest American Woman

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into the site.

- the website will still be available online and the discussion forums will still be open and moderated by volunteers.

I take it you're not going to be involved any more. Who's going to oversee the site/volunteers? Who owns the site?

That is unfortunate but I understand the rational for such a decision. Although I have just recently signed on it appears to me there is a core group of people posting here with a variety of views on other side of any given issue. For the most part the discussions are respectful although for my part I may have crossed the line on a few occasions. I feel sites like this are a wonderful way for people to express their opinions in a manner otherwise not available without this wonderful tool called the internet.

What do you think this is, comrade? Some kind of place you can choose. Impossible!! We will soon make law for you to stay. It is for collective good of all. Only way to escape is for you to be member of class that enforces classless society......Take me... with you.....puh-lee-ase!!

Well, change is inevitable, I guess. The continued success of Maple Leaf Web, is perhaps somewhat up in the air. We'll see what happens.

Sincere thanks for all your efforts and a job well done over the past years.

Pliny

Thanks for all the hard work and effort Greg, hopefully the discourse here stays respectable. I've spent 5 years on this site, and it's become part of my daily browsing.

I am sure there are a couple here who would step up to the plate and continue moderating.

Good luck in your future endeavors Greg, and again thanks!!!

Guest American Woman

What is so confusing about "the discussion forums will still be open and moderated by volunteers?"

Obviously someone still has to be in charge of the volunteers/who will be given moderator privileges/passwords - someone owns the board - and that's what my questions are in regards to.

• Forum Admin

What changes, specifically, will be happening to MLW ?

Will the forums continue as before ?

I take it you're not going to be involved any more. Who's going to oversee the site/volunteers? Who owns the site?

In the immediate future, nothing major is going to happen to the forums. The Max Bell foundation has generously offered to pay for the hosting costs and security updates for the website and Charles is committed to volunteering his time as a moderator. In terms of my involvement, I will be responsible for applying the updates and making sure the website remains live and available. I don't plan on relinquishing my forum administrator title and so long as the work load remains light (I'm a volunteer now, just like Charles).

I still plan on seeking a few new moderators to assist with the moderation of the forums and I will always update forum members about any change to the forum.

So this announcement has more to do with the writing and publishing of our political education materials than with the forums. However, I still wanted everyone to know what was going on with the site.

Guest American Woman

Thank you for that clarification, I appreciate it. And thanks again to both you and Charles for your time and commitment. Thanks also to the Max Bell foundation.

So this announcement has more to do with the writing and publishing of our political education materials than with the forums. However, I still wanted everyone to know what was going on with the site.

Thanks for this and everything else (and everyone else) too.

Edited by eyeball

I hope this site has a long and fruitful future. As for the political educational materials, I wish they were still being added to since I know little or nothing about Canada.

I suggest a 'lifeboat list'... a list of email addresses of members who would want somewhere to go en masse if there's a degradation.

Good idea, but maybe we should take a tip from The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy and first make a 'B' list... :lol:

I suggest a 'lifeboat list'... a list of email addresses of members who would want somewhere to go en masse if there's a degradation.

I agree. I have my own "lifeboat list" but would not share it without its members' consent. Perhaps the "lifeboat list" should be maintained by someone in particular and include Facebook links.

My personal view is that many, not all, of the more intelligent posters in many Internet forums have abandoned forums because they no longer have the novelty that they did circa, say, 2002. What's left are some intelligent posters, and some frankly maladapted people whom noone listens to in real life.