Mapleleafweb Will No Longer be Actively Maintained

Greg

So this announcement has more to do with the writing and publishing of our political education materials than with the forums. However, I still wanted everyone to know what was going on with the site.

THanks for the update.

The Writings and Publishing of Political Education Materials, I have found invaluable. THese publishings were clear and concise. I always looked forward to reading the latest release.

And don't let that yank JBG fool ya , For a Merican, he knows more about our country then many who live here. :P

Been a great run, lets hope that there is other sources of funding in the near future.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I have my own "lifeboat list" but would not share it without its members' consent. Perhaps the "lifeboat list" should be maintained by someone in particular and include Facebook links.

My personal view is that many, not all, of the more intelligent posters in many Internet forums have abandoned forums because they no longer have the novelty that they did circa, say, 2002. What's left are some intelligent posters, and some frankly maladapted people whom noone listens to in real life.

Let's nominate someone to collect email addys then ?

I agree. I have my own "lifeboat list" but would not share it without its members' consent. Perhaps the "lifeboat list" should be maintained by someone in particular and include Facebook links.

My personal view is that many, not all, of the more intelligent posters in many Internet forums have abandoned forums because they no longer have the novelty that they did circa, say, 2002. What's left are some intelligent posters, and some frankly maladapted people whom noone no one listens to in real life.

fixed it...

• Forum Admin

I think everyone is getting a bit ahead of themselves.

The forum will stay active for the foreseeable future. If, in the future, the forums are shut down, I will give everyone plenty of warning beforehand.

Trust me, I won't suddenly pull the plug.

The forum will stay active for the foreseeable future. If, in the future, the forums are shut down, I will give everyone plenty of warning beforehand.

That satisfies me. Let us continue fighting then, shall we ? :P

Thanks, Greg. This forum continues to be my primary source for news.

I think an issue might be one that's been forwarded to me through PM's...

It's that some are concerned that this place might become a surly free-for-all,which it sometimes does,without moderation...

I suppose that responsibility falls on all of us to act in a less surly fashion,if at all possible?

thanks for that, it's appreciated...

• Forum Admin

It's that some are concerned that this place might become a surly free-for-all,which it sometimes does,without moderation...

If you see issue arising with moderation or tone, please contact me directly or post your comments in the support section of the forums.

If you see issue arising with moderation or tone, please contact me directly or post your comments in the support section of the forums.

Is the "report" function still responded to?

After 11 years of publishing Canadian political educational materials on the Internet, Mapleleafweb.com will no longer be actively maintained. This decision was hard to make, but unfortunately finding additional funding sources to pay for the active development of the website was proving too difficult.

This project would have never been a success without the generous donations provided by the Max Bell Foundation, Arthur Child Foundation, Canada West Foundation, University of Lethbridge, David Elton Endowment and anonymous donors.

I also want to thank all those talented individuals who contributed to the Maple Leaf Web project over the past decade – your hard work and dedication made the project a big success.

This is not the end of Mapleleafweb - the website will still be available online and the discussion forums will still be open and moderated by volunteers.

It has been a great honor to work on this project and I firmly believe we added something valuable to the political discourse in Canada.

Thank you and farewell,

Greg Farries

Project Director

Greg...have Mapleleaf funded by the feds and we will all work as high end propogandists...we will be paid of course.

I think an issue might be one that's been forwarded to me through PM's...

I suppose that responsibility falls on all of us to act in a less surly fashion,if at all possible?

Right on. This is or has been one of the better political discussion forums, sure hope that doesn't change. Good work Greg and thanks.

I still plan on seeking a few new moderators to assist with the moderation of the forums and I will always update forum members about any change to the forum.

You guys have done a great job and I appreciate all efforts made in the creation and maintenance of this board. It has been a pleasure to frequent it throughout. Thank you.

I hope you have enough sense to not make only people with high post counts mods. Sure they spam the board daily and seem to have much free time but that shouldn't be the only consideration when selecting new mods I would think. The first thing these guys will do is ban me and anyone who doesn't fit into their left wing mindset.

I fear MLW will become Rabble II if proper selection of mods isn't taken. I hope the new mods will be fair and not biased by political leanings.

Edit- Why don't you guys add a "PayPal Donation" to the forums?

I'm sure the people who are employed here wouldn't mind kicking in a few bucks for hosting each month. I know I'd be willing to do so and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Edited by Mr.Canada

I'm sure the people who are employed here wouldn't mind kicking in a few bucks for hosting each month. I know I'd be willing to do so and I'm sure I'm not alone.

That makes at least two of us, if not more.

At this point I don't think that I would. There has been a general decline in the quality of discussion on Mapleleafweb. I barely contribute anymore, because there isn't much of anything to say as there are only a few serious, sane, posters left.

Guest American Woman

I'm not sure it would be easy to ban someone who was financially contributing to the site -- and I can see some posters protesting to being banned on those grounds.

I'm not sure it would be easy to ban someone who was financially contributing to the site -- and I can see some posters protesting to being banned on those grounds.

FD had no trouble banning me even though I donated.

I'm not talking hundreds of dollar donations here AW. Just like $1-5 a month for example. If 10-15 people did this it would pay for the hosting. I'm probably one of the edgiest posters here and I'm not banned.

I just think it would be a good idea to try. If people want to donate they can, if they don't want to they won't. No pressure to in either direction just the option to do so. If it works great, if not, well at least a solution was tried. Now, I have no idea if this was tried in the past or not but it maybe worth looking at as an option.

What could it hurt?