Omar Khadr

wulf42

Well looks like he will be spending at least 8 years in prison, i know i for one will be glad to see this story out of the news and Canadians can maybe start to worry about other more pressing issues.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/10/25/omar-khadr-trial-resumes.html

Edited by wulf42

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well looks like he will be spending at least 8 years in prison, i know i for one will be glad to see this story out of the news and Canadians can maybe start to worry about other more pressing issues.

He'll probably spend far less than 8 years in jail. Once in Canada he'll be quickly paroled and likely start suing for compensation for our government's treatment of his rights shortly thereafter. The last will probably be a long protracted affair and I suspect people like you will be blowing gaskets over Omar Khadr for sometime yet.

I'm sure he'll be out in plenty of time to head on over to Afghanistan again and kill someone else.

Well some Gitmo detainees have reportedly been released and done exactly that. Part of the dilemma of what to do with people like this. Even if "innocent", as I suppose those who were released must be in the eyes of the US military, they became radicalized by the experience. And, infamous...

Khadr will be infamous too, but it would be surprising if he ever gets a chance to do anything like that. Suspect that upon his release he will be followed and watched closely.

He'll probably spend far less than 8 years in jail. Once in Canada he'll be quickly paroled and likely start suing for compensation for our government's treatment of his rights shortly thereafter. The last will probably be a long protracted affair and I suspect people like you will be blowing gaskets over Omar Khadr for sometime yet.

Assuming he serves any time in Canada. The Harper gov has shown zero interest in that so far.

Personally i think Omar will end up staying in the USA, i mean seriously why bring him back here?? He killed a US Army medic with a Grenade and the Americans captured him so let them keep him! I don t imagine Omar was in Afghanistan on vacation for some reason.

Put him in the GP and let him get shanked...

Then we can all laugh at Mrs. "We're an Al Qaeda Family" Khadr cry over her (dead) baby...

I still can t believe that family hasn't been deported yet.

Edited by wulf42

That's why it was so critically important to extort a guilty plea.

Serving in Canada was undoubtedly one of the conditions of the deal (to the great relief of both the US military, and Omar's lawyer) else he'd have been nuts to make that plea. He's coming home.

The CTV news website's poll of the day was something like "Should Khadr serve his sentence in Canada?" The results as of late this morning, BC time was 74% no, 26% yes.

Keep in mind that a "website poll" is not scientific. They don't do a full sampling of the entire population, and often only people who feel particularly strongly about an issue will answer.

That doesn't mean I either agree or disagree with the polling results, nor am I suggesting I want Kadhr returned to Canada. Only that there is reason to be skeptical about this particular poll.

Prior to the guilty plea there was a roughly even split between those who wanted him returned to Canada and those who felt he should remain subject to the US justice system. The 'guilty' plea may cause a drop in the number of people supporting bringing him back, but until we see a proper poll we can't really say.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/32812/omar_khadr_trial_still_splits_canadians/

Edited to add: Personally, I'm very curious about the terms of his plea agreement, and the details he goes into regarding his place in the deaths in Afghanistan. There is a chance that he wasn't directly involved but only plead guilty to reduce his sentence.

Edited by segnosaur

I'm sorry for the US medic that died, but isn't that what happens when you are involved in a war, there's a very good chance you could be killed? Khadr, was a child when he was in this war and there is no proof he actual did anything. Now, to get out of the situation that the US and Canadian governments has him in, he HAS to plea guilty to get his life back. Reports are saying that by pleading guilty, he is now a terrorist and a member of a terrorists group. Does anyone really think that Harper will let him back into the country after serving a year in a US jail? He's now admitted terrorists an Harper won't ALLOW him back he.

Khadr, was a child when he was in this war and there is no proof he actual did anything.

You meam, aside from the proof? Like the video....and the circumstantial evidence, and the confession...?

You are right..no proof

There is a chance that he wasn't directly involved but only plead guilty to reduce his sentence.

'A chance', you say. A chance.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101026/khadr-sentencing-hearing-101026/

Edney did not provide further details on how or when the new charges were presented to his client, but said his confession "confirms that he would have admitted to the killing of John F. Kennedy if doing so would have got him out of Gitmo."

By pleading guilty, Khadr was able to enter into a plea agreement that caps his sentence at a maximum of eight years. He will also be able to apply for transfer to a Canadian prison after serving 12 months.

What was the first hint?

Edited by Molly

I'm sorry for the US medic that died, but isn't that what happens when you are involved in a war, there's a very good chance you could be killed? Khadr, was a child when he was in this war and there is no proof he actual did anything. Now, to get out of the situation that the US and Canadian governments has him in, he HAS to plea guilty to get his life back.

According to some people around here it's the US government that's been trying to get out of the situation 'Lil' Omar had it in. Apparently he's managed to play the system all these years to avoid his day in court. It's not the poor Lil US government's fault that justice has been delayed all these years, but Khadr's.

Reports are saying that by pleading guilty, he is now a terrorist and a member of a terrorists group. Does anyone really think that Harper will let him back into the country after serving a year in a US jail? He's now admitted terrorists an Harper won't ALLOW him back he.

It's been established in real courts that Khadr was subjected to torture. His plea isn't worth the paper its written on and everybody knows it.

Edited by eyeball

There is a chance that he wasn't directly involved but only plead guilty to reduce his sentence.

'A chance', you say. A chance.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101026/khadr-sentencing-hearing-101026/

Edney did not provide further details on how or when the new charges were presented to his client, but said his confession "confirms that he would have admitted to the killing of John F. Kennedy if doing so would have got him out of Gitmo."

By pleading guilty, Khadr was able to enter into a plea agreement that caps his sentence at a maximum of eight years

Yes, a chance.

Edney was a lawyer representing Kadhr. I would expect him to paint his client in the best possible light.

I'm sorry for the US medic that died, but isn't that what happens when you are involved in a war, there's a very good chance you could be killed?

Yes there is.

But the question about what to do with individuals caught fighting in the war has been a long standing concern. In a "traditional" war you would hold any combatants until the end of hostilities. However, the "war on terror" is a bit trickier; you can't hold individuals indefinitely, so some legal frame work has to be in place for those you find fighting against you.

Another thing to keep in mind: Kadhr (and his family, if I remember correctly) were not citizens of Afghanistan, nor were they fighting on behalf of a recognized Afghan government. As such, their actions were more criminal than military.

Khadr, was a child when he was in this war...

He was a teenager.

Most countries in the world do have some sort of "dividing line" when a person is subject to the "adult" justice system (as opposed to the juvenile system), but the U.S. (as well as Canada) does allow individuals considered below the age of majority to be subject to the adult court system, depending on the age of the accused, seriousness of the crime, and maturity of the individual.

Many people would consider 15 to be "old enough" to understand the seriousness of actions that can cause the deaths of others.

He was a teenager.

Most countries in the world do have some sort of "dividing line" when a person is subject to the "adult" justice system (as opposed to the juvenile system), but the U.S. (as well as Canada) does allow individuals considered below the age of majority to be subject to the adult court system, depending on the age of the accused, seriousness of the crime, and maturity of the individual.

Many people would consider 15 to be "old enough" to understand the seriousness of actions that can cause the deaths of others.

This might well be true when a 15 year old suddenly chooses to join a terrorist group or criminal gang. Most people however recognize a clear dividing line between that and teenager who was actually only 11 when he was dragged into that group/gang. Most would conclude that such a child lacks any capacity to make a choice.