Omar Khadr

wulf42

torturing a 15 yr old and holding him for 8 yrs without trial would never have happened in the US

Correct. Didn't happen in Cuba either. I believe the sum total of Lil Omar's complaint of abuse stems from medical personal weighing him.

The Horror!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tinfoil for what? Are you not aware that the Khadrs and bin Laden were close? They were invited to his daughter's wedding.

I base my assumption on Ahmed Said Khadr warned the government of retaliation if they got involved. What do you base your assumption that I'm wrong on? Let me guess... nothing.

Whether they are close or not is irrelevant. He is in jail and we made no effort to get him out. Any further coinjecture based on the false assumption that someone is "close" to Bin Laden is idiotic.

Tinfoil for what? Are you not aware that the Khadrs and bin Laden were close? They were invited to his daughter's wedding.

Tin foil since someone actually believes Canada is afraid of Osama ?

And Khadrs mom is free for the same reason?

That is Alcan premium #1 stuff.

I base my assumption on Ahmed Said Khadr warned the government of retaliation if they got involved. What do you base your assumption that I'm wrong on? Let me guess... nothing.

Gosh, did you give me even a moment to answer?

But since you asked, I base it on probability,likelihood,relevance and a filter that generally doesnt steer me wrong.

Except for that Bre-X thing, i figured when he fell out of the helicopter it was time to buy big !

'Cause it's leased from Cuba.

Substitute Cuba for Car.

Yup, ya still dont own shit.

If it were sovereign land, then anyone birthed there would be automatic US citizens, yet they dont allow it, they ship them home to the US. Gee, I wonder why?

And the military truly is not known for openly and prolongly violating someones rights

Edited by guyser

I hope that is sarcasm wyly. :D

However we have witnessed just that very thing. Gitmo is sovereign US land.

it's not US territory, which is why detainees were brought there so they would not be under the protection of the US courts and protected from civil rights abuses...

Please show me where that is, because if true, I could not find if it was.

The Supreme Court says it isnt, thus why it exists.

If I am correct it is, because Panama is treated the same way. This is why we can claim Senator McCain as a US citizen, eventhough he was born in Panama.

It might be a small technicality of it NOT being sovering US territory. But I though all US military bases were considered US territory.

it's not US territory, which is why detainees were brought there so they would not be under the protection of the US courts and protected from civil rights abuses...

They could have been brought to the US mainland. It's because they are termed 'illegal combatants' which can circumvent any type of law that would be used to protect them. If you recall there was much ado about the placement of the detainees. There was talk of holding them in the US mainland. But the american population screamed no.

If it's not US territory, then the US is simply occupying the land for it's own purpose. That would kind of be illegal. But the US and Cuba have some sort of agreement on the land.

If I am correct it is, because Panama is treated the same way.

That is true.

Actually was, because the Panama lease already expired. Just like Hongkong, where the lease to Britain expired and China took over.

Guantanamo is still under valid lease to the US.

The Supreme Court has said it is outside of legal protection, The Constitution, thus I would expect it not to be sovereign soil.

It is Cuban land for which there is a perpetual lease until abandonment or mutual relinquishing.

From Wiki (yeah I know) "After the Justice Department advised that the Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp could be considered outside U.S. legal jurisdiction, the first twenty captives arrived at Guantanamo on January 11, 2002'

I do not see any definitive answers in the justice department website

However, I will go with 'it is Cuban land" .

http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2003/2pet/7pet/2003-1245.pet.aa.pdf

According to Justice Dept lawsuits....

outside the sovereign

territory of the United States. The district court

rejected Gherebi’s argument that Guantanamo is within

the sovereign territory of the United States, noting

that, under the relevant lease and treaty agreements,

“Cuba, not the United States, is sovereign in Guantanamo

Bay.” App., infra, 82a.

But of course some might incorrectly think a lease means owning.

Edited by guyser

If I am correct it is, because Panama is treated the same way. This is why we can claim Senator McCain as a US citizen, eventhough he was born in Panama.

there is Panama and the Canal zone, McCain was born in the canal zone alos leased I suppose but that irrelevant as well he's american because both his parents are american

the First Congress, on March 26, 1790, approved an act that declared, "The children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural-born citizens of the United States."

It might be a small technicality of it NOT being sovering US territory. But I though all US military bases were considered US territory.
apparently not...

there is Panama and the Canal zone, McCain was born in the canal zone alos leased I suppose but that irrelevant as well he's american because both his parents are american

the First Congress, on March 26, 1790, approved an act that declared, "The children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural-born citizens of the United States."

apparently not...

What act was that though?

And that would mean, a person can be born anywhere and be a US citizen, no matter where they are born. As long as the parents are US citizens. That's kind of weird.

And that would mean, a person can be born anywhere and be a US citizen, no matter where they are born. As long as the parents are US citizens. That's kind of weird.

Also quite normal.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/facts/born_outside.asp

US immigration laws have changed over time ---- based on the immigration act etc.. it leads up to about 1920 where everyone in my direct paternal side would be eligible for US citizenship between about 1812 and 1920 - but the thing that is odd is one side is UEL (and verified in the list) the other left just before the war of 1812.... and has ties to Hunter's list (longtime residents of new york state a few generations after leaving the palatinate in Germany during the period of revolution in the 1700's. My line ties to the orange order (very against American - very old tory)

but using the 1790 act - I am actually a natural born American (there are two classes of American natural born and American citizen by virtue of the immigration act) by virtue of the American line - but the issue is that the immigration acts set a requirement to register - and so the conference of citizenship was thus in question... my grandfather recently died - and he was the last person who could legally register as far as I read in the acts... if he had my father would have been able to, and so I would also - but there is also a residence requirement of I think 5 years.

I am not so certain the 1790 was unamended but if this was used for McCain's citizenship then it might also mean a whole lot of people were eligible to be Americans --- but in this case it is clear that jus sanguis is what makes McCain American - but if only one parent were American this pis perhaps were it is in question - as the paternal rule - son of a man - as by old custom the son had to be recognized to be legitimate - the age of legitimacy is long gone though. It is novel to think this but if you go up to CBP US DHS/ICE and say by virtue of the 1790 act etc... they may kick you out. I stated both grounds for citizenship as having American ancestory - and I was told to get a visa in Canada before returning to the US because I was previously refused for having sufficient ties to Canada.

This more or less would be leading to think that they CBP did not recognize any right to American citizenship. and my alien file would probably show that.

Edited by William Ashley

varies from country to country...my kids born Canadian but because i was born in europe they have dual citizenship 2 passports...

varies from country to country...my kids born Canadian but because i was born in europe they have dual citizenship 2 passports...

What country they swear allegiance to? Or would fight with in case of war?

Move on...we made mistakes--- bring people into the country who hate us is a fatal error that we pay for now...Why would I show mercy - opportunity ...or social care for a person ---- if he hated me..? Would I invite a person into my house who in their heart wanted to harm me? Of course not! Yet - immigration under the soft hearted liberal mind set...does not bother to search the hearts of those the invite here to Canada..There are millions of immigrants who hate Canada - but LOVE it's food and lodging.

Move on...we made mistakes--- bring people into the country who hate us is a fatal error that we pay for now...Why would I show mercy - opportunity ...or social care for a person ---- if he hated me..? Would I invite a person into my house who in their heart wanted to harm me? Of course not! Yet - immigration under the soft hearted liberal mind set...does not bother to search the hearts of those the invite here to Canada..There are millions of immigrants who hate Canada - but LOVE it's food and lodging.

Hyperbole, look it up.