Banning plastic bags?

Topaz

A NDP MP want to bring forth a private members bill banning plastic bags in Canada. We all know about plastic bags going to the dump site and I wonder if this includes PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS or just the shopping plastic bags. IF it does include the garbage bags then what will replace them? http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/101024/national/plastic_bag_ban

A NDP MP want to bring forth a private members bill banning plastic bags in Canada. We all know about plastic bags going to the dump site and I wonder if this includes PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS or just the shopping plastic bags. IF it does include the garbage bags then what will replace them?

Plastic garbage bags "replaced" repurposed paper bags from shopping/grocery trips. Babies used to have all cotton diapers too!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I never understand this concern with plastic bags????

You go to the grocery store,buy a bunch of food,and, they want you to pay extra for a plastic bag because we are suppose to save the environment...

ALMOST EVERYTHING I JUST PUCHASED IS WRAPPED IN FRICKEN PLASTIC!!!!!

Hello???

Is this thing on????

I have a problem with this idea. My dog weighs 90 lbs! She needs those plastic bags from the grocery store when I take her for a walk a few times a day.

I tried to train her to use those "green" re-usable shopping bags but it just got too ugly! I'll never try that again!

I don't think all those "eco-warriors" have thought it all the way through or maybe they just aren't dog lovers. Whatever. I do hope they don't succeed in banning them, however. If they do, will I have to shoot my dog?

I got worked up a bit when the grocery store I frequent got rid of plastic bags.

Now I bring bags and if I forget it gets packed up in paper bags.

Wasn't such a big deal after all.

Kill those trees!!!11!11!

A NDP MP want to bring forth a private members bill banning plastic bags in Canada. We all know about plastic bags going to the dump site and I wonder if this includes PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS or just the shopping plastic bags. IF it does include the garbage bags then what will replace them? http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/101024/national/plastic_bag_ban

I do not support banning but I do support a sollution within my framework http://williamashley.info/SOCIAL/SP/sppolicypoints.htm

Under waste "material measure" and "dangerous goods"

http://williamashley.info/SOCIAL/SP/sppolicypoints_files/wastematerialmeasure.htm

http://williamashley.info/SOCIAL/SP/sppolicypoints_files/dangerousgoods.htm

It will create an economic incentive for alternative disposal and consciousness of waste materials, as well as spuring use of "bioengineer" biodegrading materials. Example those made out of Nitrogen/Carbon composite that will be bacterial digestible or via oxidation.

A journey into full view of how it fits into the overall framework can be started at the header page

http://williamashley.info/SOCIAL/SP/SP.htm

I switched at the grocery store to cloth way before most people did. I do like Sobeys bags better because they are bigger and hold more groceries. No Frills bags are ok but if you wash them they shrink. Talk radio is talking about this on their program today and I think its only for stores, ALL stores and not garbage, as yet.

If it was not for plastic, I'd have very little garbage to throw out.

If there is one type of plastic that can be used for most products, then we should role with that, because it would make recycling more effective. The amount of plastic we toss out is pretty insane when you think about it and look into it. Just take a note of what you throw out in the trash. Every time you throw something away take note of it.

I would not be sad to see them banned. Just buy a couple cloth, or hard mesh plastic bags that can be used over and over again.

It is pretty amazing to see how much plastic we actually use for food.

Plastic garbage bags "replaced" repurposed paper bags from shopping/grocery trips.

I remember when most of the stores switched to plastic, think it was in the '80's and was supposedly for "environmental purposes". At that time I was against the idea. I thought, this is completely silly, how can plastic be better for the environment than paper? Imagine a landfill full of plastic bags!!! I must be a frikken genius!!!

It's a good idea. Thrifty Foods (grocery chain around here) already doesn't use plastic bags. Paper only, or bring your own.

I buy very little that is wrapped in plastic... it's avoidable for the most part.

It's a dumb idea. Plastic grocery bags are probably the single most reused and repurposed item there is. I use them for garbage. I use them for picking up after the dog. I use them for bringing my lunch to work. I use them to put my daughter's wet stuff into after swimming. Heck, anything that is wet, might be wet, or you might want to prevent from getting wet is a perfect use for a ready supply of plastic bags. Schools and daycares can never get enough of them.

Banning these bags from being distributed at stores is not going to stop their usage, all it will mean is people will now need to BUY them separately. Same environmental impact, just more out of pocket expense. This seems to be the standard M.O. of self-styled environmentalists: make sweeping changes that don't really improve to the perceived problem, but do increase cost and inconvenience.

Not only that, but what about preventing contamination at the grocery store? You're going to put meat, milk, vegetables and dry goods in the same reusable bags without a sanitary disposable layer to separate them? Really?

No Frills bags are ok but if you wash them they shrink.

Topaz, I found that most of those grocery store bags are unwashable and look like hell after they've been in the washer. I think that's done on purpose so that we buy new ones. I'm going to look for sturdy white, 100% cotton bags that can be washed with bleach.

Banning these bags from being distributed at stores is not going to stop their usage, all it will mean is people will now need to BUY them separately. Same environmental impact, just more out of pocket expense. This seems to be the standard M.O. of self-styled environmentalists: make sweeping changes that don't really improve to the perceived problem, but do increase cost and inconvenience.

A lot like Al Gore and his carbon credits. Man, is he getting rich!

Topaz, I found that most of those grocery store bags are unwashable and look like hell after they've been in the washer. I think that's done on purpose so that we buy new ones. I'm going to look for sturdy white, 100% cotton bags that can be washed with bleach.

Look for nylon bags that can be folded into a tiny 4x4 inch attatched pouch. They are more-or-less waterproof, completely washable, compact, strong, attractive, light... Generally they cost about $5 a pop, but they are well worth it.

Royal Doulton stores carry them, but so do other places.

For the record, I took up shopping at No Frills specifically because they make the boxes available for reuse, so that there's no need for bags.

The shift to re-use is an overdue change from the store policies of an item or two per bag, and layer after layer of packaging. It makes me crazy to see someone put a bag of bags of milk into a bag. :blink:

Look for nylon bags that can be folded into a tiny 4x4 inch attatched pouch. They are more-or-less waterproof, completely washable, compact, strong, attractive, light... Generally they cost about $5 a pop, but they are well worth it.

Royal Doulton stores carry them, but so do other places.

Thanks for the tip Molly. Those two buck cloth bags peddled by grocers are garbage.

If plastic bags are banned, how are the company's that charge for bags under the false pretense of the environment, going to make up that loss of revenue?

haha yes.

Also, plastic bags take tremendously less energy to recycle than paper bags. Read that somewhere in the media last week.

Idea: why don't they start getting after big businesses who are wasteful and throw out tons of crap (often good things too, like "old" computers). Of course, just throwing things in the dumpster is cheaper & easier than sorting things for recycling.

haha yes.

Also, plastic bags take tremendously less energy to recycle than paper bags. Read that somewhere in the media last week.

That's just it: my consumption of plastic has gone down considerably.

I bring my bags to other stores too, I use them as my lunch bag, it use them to carry things in.

It's just a silly and stupid mindset.

I thought it was ridiculous for my grocery store to ban them and force me to bring bags in. I was going to boycott and go elsewhere.

Well, I was wrong. Just like many on this thread....

Idea: why don't they start getting after big businesses who are wasteful and throw out tons of crap (often good things too, like "old" computers). Of course, just throwing things in the dumpster is cheaper & easier than sorting things for recycling.

What's wrong with going after people who are wasteful and throw out tons of crap?

Edited by msj

haha yes.

the thing is not all plastic bags will be recycled...if a paper bag isn't recyled it turns into compost...I do my part I sort and recycle in the appropiate places...

haha yes.

the thing is not all plastic bags will be recycled...if a paper bag isn't recycled it turns into compost...I do my part I sort and recycle in the appropriate places...