Burn a Qu'ran Day.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I wouldnt describe it as malignant. You've chosen some rather odd words to describe protests.

They aren't odd. Malignant is the opposite of benign. So do you want to content that a demonstration like, "The Ride for Life" is not benign?

None.

But lets not pretend that burning crosses is for the common welfare of the citizens or that burning korans is benign.

Vigorous protest is not suppose to be benign, yet the "common welfare" still benefits....namely the preservation of constitutional rights. No exceptions are to be made for the Koran.....a Bible...or American flag.

Vigorous protest is not suppose to be benign, yet the "common welfare" still benefits....namely the preservation of constitutional rights. No exceptions are to be made for the Koran.....a Bible...or American flag.

Since I am not calling for or demanding his right to be an obnoxious fool to be limited, I disgree.

I believe the right to be offensive is important and should be defended..but I reserve the right to criticize what I see as harmful.

Since I am not calling for or demanding his right to be an obnoxious fool to be limited, I disgree.

You disagree with what? Are you making a distinction between benign and malignant protest?

I believe the right to be offensive is important and should be defended..but I reserve the right to criticize what I see as harmful.

But of course....the very same right assures you of that option. Criticise away as the Koran burns to ashes.

Guest American Woman

Yeah this should show the troops that we support them. By burning books that will put them in more danger. I am sure the guys over there appreciate your efforts.

Yeah. It should show that we support them ... by not bowing down to terrorist threats.

They aren't odd. Malignant is the opposite of benign.

It depends in what context you're using benign. There are several different meanings.

So do you want to content that a demonstration like, "The Ride for Life" is not benign?

Isn't the Ride for Life a fund-raiser? I'm not sure it qualifies as a protest. Usually protests are more in your face type stuff. Far from benign.

Yeah. It should show that we support them ... by not bowing down to terrorist threats.

and yet the political leadership of your country (except Republicans, of course), the highest of military leadership and prominent media outlets don't seem to agree with you... why don't they all just "support the troops" - hey?

Guest American Woman

and yet the political leadership of your country (except Republicans, of course), the highest of military leadership and prominent media outlets don't seem to agree with you... why don't they all just "support the troops" - hey?

And yet I'm a staunch Democrat. So go figure, eh?

It depends in what context you're using benign. There are several different meanings.

Isn't the Ride for Life a fund-raiser? I'm not sure it qualifies as a protest. Usually protests are more in your face type stuff. Far from benign.

Demonstrations come in many flavours. Most protests do not incite hate either. If you are protesting against tuition increases, do you see that as benign or hateful?

Edited by M.Dancer

edit to add testimony to the "silent Republicans":

- Why aren't (Republican) politicians speaking out against the would-be Quran-burner who's endangering our troops?

Republicans are usually eager to trumpet their support for the troops and the war against terror. So why aren't they condemning the Florida pastor who plans to lead his congregation in a Quran-burning bonfire on Sept. 11?

So where is John McCain, the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, who brandishes his war-hero credentials at every opportunity and, in the past, has rushed to condemn anyone who dares criticize Gen. Petraeus? Where is the second-ranking Republican, James Inhofe of Oklahoma, who also sits on the Foreign Relations Committee? Where is Saxby Chambliss, who loudly supports big-ticket weapons systems in the name of national security (and the jobs they sustain in his home state of Georgia) but has thus far said nothing to support our troops on this front?

- Top Republicans Silent On Hate Pastor’s Planned Quran Burning Event

Top officials in the Obama administration, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Attorney General Eric Holder have denounced Jones’ plans, but leading Republicans are refusing to comment. MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann reported last night that he asked top GOPers — including President Bush, House Minority Leader John Boehner (OH), Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (KY), Sens. John McCain (AZ), Lindsey Graham (SC), Jeff Sessions (AL), and Susan Collins (ME), Rep. Eric Cantor (VA), Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, and Liz Cheney — if they would condemn Jones’ Quran burning in light of Petraeus’ remarks but none would offer any comment

Demonstrations come in many flavours. Most protests do not incite hate either. If you are protesting against tuition increases, do you see that as benign or hateful?

Could be hateful or benign....depending on the circumstances. Either way...so what? The opposite of love is not hate...it's indifference.

As usual, waldo lies through his green teeth. By green I mean environmentalist. :)

Mitt Romney: 'Burning the Quran is wrong'

Link

Sarah Palin: "Koran Burning Is Insensitive, Unnecessary; Pastor Jones, Please Stand Down"

Link

John Boehner: “Just because you have a right to do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do

Link

As usual, waldo lies through his green teeth. By green I mean environmentalist. :)

Am I the only who thinks it does not really count when you in the same breath you say "burning a Qu'ran is wrong because it endangers the troops", you go on to compare it to "building a Mosque near ground 0?" Maybe that is just me but it seems that having that stance on one because would endanger the troops means that other also should have a different stance. I don't know maybe endanger the troops a little is ok but endangering them a lot isn't. I don't know.

The opposite of love is not hate...it's indifference.

Elie?

Yes....full context:

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.

The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.

And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.

- - - Elie Wiesel - 1986

Elie?

Yes....full context:

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.

The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.

And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.

- - - Elie Wiesel - 1986

Is the opposite of orange, peel?

whaaa! Late to the game... a few Republicans step forward under intense pressure to comment. The normally 'in your face' Palin offers a minimalistic Facebook comment... while at the same time drawing a ridiculous comparison to the NY Mosque debate. Boehner throws up a less than direct reluctant condemnation: "Appearing on Good Morning America today, Boehner seemed reluctant to strongly condemn the Quran burning. When host George Stephanopoulos asked him directly, “So you’re telling [Jones] not to do it?” there was a long pause, forcing Stephanopoulos to repeat the question. Finally, Boehner replied, “Well, listen, I just think it’s not wise to do this in the face of what our country represents.” Romney gets it right but, again, late to the delivery.

but where's "John McCain, the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, who brandishes his war-hero credentials at every opportunity and, in the past, has rushed to condemn anyone who dares criticize Gen. Petraeus? Where is the second-ranking Republican, James Inhofe of Oklahoma, who also sits on the Foreign Relations Committee? Where is Saxby Chambliss, who loudly supports big-ticket weapons systems in the name of national security (and the jobs they sustain in his home state of Georgia) but has thus far said nothing to support our troops on this front?"

but where's all the rest mentioned - hey, Shady? Where's Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (KY), Lindsey Graham (SC), Jeff Sessions (AL), and Susan Collins (ME), Rep. Eric Cantor (VA), Newt Gingrich, and Liz Cheney? C'mon, Shady... surely you can find something from them... I mean, after all, the spotlight is finally on them. They can run - can they (all) hide?

how about all the Republican media 'super patriots', hey Shady? Where's the commentary/condemnation from Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity, Ingraham, etc., etc., etc.