Burn a Qu'ran Day.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just occurred to me that if the pastor wanted to use a country's flag as a wick, he'd have a devil of a time selecting one. So many choices. What to do. :lol:

Right, I think your on to something there. Imagine if it was an American flag. Sure, I know it's happened many times before, but can you imagine the outrage... oh my

No burning bibles, however, how many "witches" were burned? How about the tiny little blip of the Spanish Inquisition, or the crusades?

Witches...estimates of upward of a 1/4 million in Germany alone. Then there was the 30 Years War doing the Charleston over the general area. In America...Salem was peanuts.

Spanish Inquisition. Surprisingly few if you check the figures. Under 10,000 over the entire period if I recall.

Crusades. Many thousands on both sides of this protracted war. Both side generally gave as good as they got. The Jews fared pretty poorly, as well, if they happened to get in the way.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Germany must have been a land of powerful magic before that!

It really hit the Germany (not yet a country of course) the worst. Other areas with puritanical Protestantism also seemed to fall for the vvitch craze. You might recall ol' Vincent Price in "Witchfinder General"...

Witches...estimates of upward of a 1/4 million in Germany alone. Then there was the 30 Years War doing the Charleston over the general area. In America...Salem was peanuts.

There were probably as many witches hanged as burned.

A frenzy of witch-hunts took place during this time in Europe, mostly in German-speaking parts, with an estimated 60,000 people put to death.

In mainland Europe and Scotland they burned them, with the peak period between 1580 and 1662 often referred to as The Burning Times. England and its colonies in north America preferred hanging.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8334055.stm

Hangings probably drew better crowds because onlookers could get closer to the action.

No burning bibles, however, how many "witches" were burned? How about the tiny little blip of the Spanish Inquisition, or the crusades?

Very few really. It's a popular misconception that the sp[anish inquisition were after witches. They were concerned with Moranos...and even then, the numbers were relatively small.

There were probably as many witches hanged as burned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8334055.stm

Hangings probably drew better crowds because onlookers could get closer to the action.

Agreement.

In many witch hot spots, men and women were both targeted. Burnings were usually prefered as it was the symbolic nature of the event...not to mention the screams. Witchfinders were often in kahoots with the local government/bishop/king/etc. They kept a certain amount of the swag looted from the dead while the rest flowed to the government/bishop/king/etc's coffers.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Very few really. It's a popular misconception that the sp[anish inquisition were after witches. They were concerned with Moranos...and even then, the numbers were relatively small.

Fair enough, the point was, however, that christianity has quite the shady past so to point out that some people have burned bibles while it hasn't happened here is crap.

Edited by nicky10013

Fair enough, the point was, however, that christianity has quite the shady past.

Yes...'round about the 1600s in particular. I don't think there's an argument. But, I think we can all agree that two wrongs do not make a right. Not so sure the planet can wait 400 years for Islam to get its act together.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Yes...'round about the 1600s in particular. I don't think there's an arguement. But, I think we can all agree that two wrongs do not make a right. Not so sure the planet can wait 400 years for Islam to get its act together.

Perhaps we should hold a Burn a Bible day also on September 11, since the attack on the World Trade centre was precipitated on the attempts of the US to Christianize the rest of the world...for fun and profit...

Perhaps we should hold a Burn a Bible day also on September 11, since the attack on the World Trade centre was precipitated on the attempts of the US to Christianize the rest of the world...for fun and profit...

By all means. I must inform you, though, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool atheist. Plus, I think that burning the Bible will not hurt Christianity. It would turn the other cheek if I'm correct.

Go right ahead...it's been done to death. Let's burn some Elvis and Beatles records too!