Would Any Other President Have Ever Said This?

Obama: "Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower"

Whether we like it or not? What exactly does he mean? And who exactly is he talking about? As far as I know, the vast majority of Americans like, and prefer being a dominant military superpower. It definitely beats the alternative. But in Obama's anti-American mindset, apparently it's something to be ashamed of, and talk down about.

Well don't worry Mr. President. Under your illiterate economic and foreign policy tutelage, you're well under way in leading the decline of America's power. Which I'm sure is the way you think it should be. :angry:

This guy is really beginning to piss me off!

*This has been a Shady special comment*

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*This has been a Shady special comment*[/size]

the classic definition of Obama Derangement Syndrome, presumes on posing as an American patriot while denying ones own pathological hatred for Obama. Since you're not an actual American patriot, what's your excuse?

I understand there's been clarification from the White House on the actual meaning of the Obama comment:

"We're powerful but we prefer yall stop dragging us into your messes... we have enough trouble with the ones we create on our own"

Guest American Woman

Perhaps if you didn't selectively quote just part of his statement, you would be able to answer your own question, because "what exactly does he mean?" and "who exactly is he talking about?" is obvious.

I offer you the full statement in hopes that you now understand what he's saying and who he's talking about.

It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower, and when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them, and that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure."

In case you still don't get it, not everyone supports our involvement in every conflict we've been involved in. Not everyone thinks it's worth the price in terms of lives and money.

So the "like it or not" refers to lost lives, first and foremost, and the cost, secondly; because not everyone "likes" that. Some would prefer that we weren't "a dominant military superpower," for those reasons. Some would prefer that we don't always get pulled into these conflicts. Those are the people he was referring to and speaking to. He obviously was talking to people who aren't on the war bandwagon as well as those who are. In other words, he was speaking to all Americans.

You yourself said "the vast majority of Americans like, and prefer being a dominant military superpower," which would indicate that even you understand not everyone is thrilled with the fact, and based on that alone, one would think you could have figured out the answers to your own questions.

You seriously need to get over your obsession with Obama. It's not good for your mental health, especially since you're not even an American.

Edited by American Woman

I've lost count how many times in the last few weeks Shady has been pwned by the rest of a quotation that he misrepresented out of context. You'd think he would have learned by now to get the rest of the quote from the source, and not rely on wacko right-wing bloggers to tell him what to think and say. :lol:

I've lost count how many times in the last few weeks Shady has been pwned by the rest of a quotation that he misrepresented out of context. You'd think he would have learned by now to get the rest of the quote from the source, and not rely on wacko right-wing bloggers to tell him what to think and say. :lol:

Don't forget he 'pwn'd' me twice so far according to him.

It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower, and when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them, and that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure."

The quote is obviously still a 'tell' about what Obama is thinking. When Bush mentioned the 'Axis of Evil' it drew criticism from the left, it was a tell about Bush's mindset, and this is too. It's quite obvious since he nixed the next generation fighter jet, but Obama wants to be much less of a super power. Whether that's a bad or good thing, the quote reaffirms this.

Obama also expresses little concern for the citizens who would be displaced/wounded/killed in these conflicts and focuses in on American deaths and money. That sounds rather shallow to me for a man who's trying to change the way the world sees the US.

The quote is obviously still a 'tell' about what Obama is thinking. When Bush mentioned the 'Axis of Evil' it drew criticism from the left, it was a tell about Bush's mindset, and this is too. It's quite obvious since he nixed the next generation fighter jet, but Obama wants to be much less of a super power. Whether that's a bad or good thing, the quote reaffirms this.

Obama also expresses little concern for the citizens who would be displaced/wounded/killed in these conflicts and focuses in on American deaths and money. That sounds rather shallow to me for a man who's trying to change the way the world sees the US.

Cause we use fighter jets so much. Were you mad when they moved from muskets to rifles to?

Obama: "Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower"

Whether we like it or not? What exactly does he mean? And who exactly is he talking about? As far as I know, the vast majority of Americans like, and prefer being a dominant military superpower. It definitely beats the alternative. But in Obama's anti-American mindset, apparently it's something to be ashamed of, and talk down about.

Well don't worry Mr. President. Under your illiterate economic and foreign policy tutelage, you're well under way in leading the decline of America's power. Which I'm sure is the way you think it should be. :angry:

This guy is really beginning to piss me off!

*This has been a Shady special comment*

Gladstone was notorious for his dislike of the British Empire. Does that mean Gladstone was an awful guy? Think before you respond, because he's universally considered one of the greatest and most important Prime Ministers in the history of Great Britain.

Guest American Woman

That's your opinion. No more, no less. And you're wrong.

That's rich, coming from you. He was speaking of our role, our position, our cost in that one statement/quote. He was speaking as the U.S. president, about the role of the U.S., so yes, he "focused in on our cost."

...You yourself said "the vast majority of Americans like, and prefer being a dominant military superpower," which would indicate that even you understand not everyone is thrilled with the fact, and based on that alone, one would think you could have figured out the answers to your own questions.

He did figure it out....President Obama simply slipped back into apology mode, this time having America apologize to itself.

You seriously need to get over your obsession with Obama. It's not good for your mental health, especially since you're not even an American.

Since when has that stopped anyone else around here?

Guest American Woman

He did figure it out....President Obama simply slipped back into apology mode, this time having America apologize to itself.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, wrong though it may be.

Since when has that stopped anyone else around here?

That's pretty hilarious coming from you, considering your ad naseum 'you're not an American' responses to any and everyone when it's not even relevant. :lol:

But back up your claim that it hasn't stopped anyone else around here, and point out one other Canadian that has started 61 threads about any American politician. I won't hold my breath waiting ..... :)

Edited by American Woman

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, wrong though it may be.

Yea...that's one of my rights. Hope you don't mind too much.

pretty hilarious coming from you, considering your ad naseum 'you're not an American' responses to any and everyone when it's not even relevant. :lol:

It's very "hilarious"....imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

But back up your claim that it hasn't stopped anyone else around here, and point out one other Canadian that has started 61 threads about any American politician. I won't hold my breath waiting ..... :)

Dobbin is gone...but those that remain can't help it. Domestic Canadian politics gets less media attention than does American...in Canada! Something about watching paint dry......

Guest American Woman

It's very "hilarious"....imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

So they say. So if I ever start imitating you, you can be totally flattered .... as I seek psychiatric help.

Dobbin is gone...but those that remain can't help it.

Instead of making accusations against someone who is gone, prove it. Who has he started 61 threads about? And remember, it'll take 2 seconds for me to disprove it if it's not true.

Domestic Canadian politics gets less media attention than does American...in Canada! Something about watching paint dry......

I rather doubt that Canadian politics gets less media attention in Canada than does American. Except in your mind.

Edited by American Woman

I rather doubt that Canadian politics gets less media attention in Canada than does American. Except in your mind.

You would be right to doubt almost anything that BC says...because it's usually almost completely a figment of his imagination.

Edited by Smallc

So they say. So if I ever start imitating you, you can be totally flattered .... as I seek psychiatric help.

Sounds good to me....the doctor is in (5 cents please).

Instead of making accusations against someone who is gone, prove it. Who has he started 61 threads about? And remember, it'll take 2 seconds for me to disprove it if it's not true.

Sorry, but I don't play your now patented AW circle jerk prove it games. Mr. Dobbin started many a thread on America and Americans...a self admitted admirer of both.

My mind...and the lead or principal story for most Canadian news outlets on any given day.

Guest American Woman

Sorry, but I don't play your now patented AW circle jerk prove it games. Mr. Dobbin started many a thread on America and Americans...a self admitted admirer of both.

Translation: I, bush_cheney2004, can't offer the proof you asked for because it doesn't exist; I was simply mouthing off yet again.

My mind...and the lead or principal story for most Canadian news outlets on any given day.

So you have access to all Canadian media outlets, and check it daily to see if Canadian or American politics is getting more media coverage? :lol: Furthermore, you think the lead story equals all news coverage? Maybe to you it does. Wouldn't surprise me if you don't read past the lead story, but that doesn't mean there is no more news. ;)

As I said, in your mind only ........

You would be right to doubt almost anything that BC says...because it's usually almost completely a figment of his imagination.

Amen to that. :D

Translation: I, bush_cheney2004, can't offer the proof you asked for because it doesn't exist; I was simply mouthing off yet again.

Wrong...I refuse to play this dumb ass game of yours. There is nothing to prove....anybody who has been here for any length of time knows the posting patterns of other members.

So you have access to all Canadian media outlets, and check it daily to see if Canadian or American politics is getting more media coverage? :lol: Furthermore, you think the lead story equals all news coverage? Maybe to you it does. Wouldn't surprise me if you don't read past the lead story, but that doesn't mean there is no more news. ;)

There aren't that many Canadian media outlets! Go over to them and read today's leads....is Obama Canadian?

As I said, in your mind only ........

Where else would it be? You've been handed your ass enough times as well, playing the "prove it" game.

I don't know...Perhaps Obama is saying that although the United States is the only global superpower at the moment,it may not always be a desirable position?

Not according to Obama supporters:

One of Obama’s top advisers said the president was not expressing a reluctance to play the leadership role in the world that the U.S. has held for the last several decades.

“He was saying we are the global superpower. Like it or not that means that we are going to have to play a role,” said Ben Rhodes, deputy national security adviser for strategic communications.

“It was not speaking about not wanting to play that role,” Rhodes said. “The United States should continue to play that unique role as the global superpower that underpins global security. He basically was saying that the reason we should be proactive in trying to prevent conflicts and resolve conflicts is because our role as superpower we’re going to get involved.”

The comment will be fodder for those who think the president does not believe in the idea of American exceptionalism, the notion that U.S. global dominance is inherently a good thing because it restrains tyrants and promotes human rights and democracy.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/04/14/obama-says-u-s-must-play-leadership-role-like-it-or-not/

It seems to me based on the whole comment, he was responding to some kind of criticism from the left that the US has to be the world police. "Like it or not, that's the job we have to do". In other words, US will continue invading countries that are non compliant with the empire, or wherever it's interests are served. Like it or not, the wars will continue.